Citalopram withdrawal

Posted , 3 users are following.

I've been on citalopram 40mg for 2 years, my physiatrist has told me to stop them over 8 days and started me on mitazapine been on these 3 days now, I've never felt anger like I'm experiencing at the moment, as well as face zaps, short tempered and feeling so low.

Anyone else been through this and took off over 8 days.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Good grief - whatever you do, do not stop these meds over 8 days.  You'll be very ill.  These take months and months to withdraw from - I came of only 20mg and it took way over 6 months.  The slower the better.

Not only that you'll have side effects from starting Mirtazapine.  Yes brain zaps are a withdrawal symptom and if you stop these meds in that short time you're going to be in for a very rough time.

Please go see your doctor immediately and get a withdrawal programme set up.  Something like reducing by 5mg at a time (1 month/5mg at a time).

I thought psychiatrists were professionals!

• Posted

I'm entirely with Katecogs ! You must withdraw very slowly ,buy a tablet cutter and go down to 35 mg for a month or even two then 30mg for a month or two. If you don't you will be in for a rocky ride.There is a information on this forum on coming off anti depressants and this would be of great help to you.
  • Posted

I can't as I've started the mirtazapine which my shrink said 😞
    • Posted

It's only been 3 days.  You're in charge of your body, you're the patient, and can do what's comfortable for you.  

If you do start to feel very unwell, please go see your doctor and get reinstated back onto Citalopram.

Take care xx

• Posted

Hi again

i would definitely go back to your doctor and tell him how you are feeling. Let him know that dropping citalopram from what you have researched must be reduced slowly because of severe side affects . The only thing that helped me with side effects was Xanax once the side effects ceased I was able to not take the Xanax. Diazapam ( xanax ) is a short term solution but certainly helped me cope with the worst of the side effects Andy helped me sleep.

thinking of youx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.