Citalopram withdrawal

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have been taking SSRI's on and off, but mostly on for 20 years, the last 15 years mostly Citalopram 20mg. In January I sustained a stress fracture of the pubic rami (hip bone near pubic area for the uninitiated) I am an ultra distance runner and I am 65 years old. Given that my bone mineral density was previously very good I did some research and discovered that Citalopram has been implicated in weakening bones. So two things here, I want to warn other women (and men if they are interested) of other long term hazards of this drug and since stopping them fairly abruptly I feel horrendous. Dizzy, no appetite, temper outbursts all the usual stuff that led me to be on it in the first place. The problem is I cannot run at the moment with this fracture but I am swimming. I feel strongly that our best friend is exercise of some sort to get us through this and beyond. Unfortunately, I have days when I feel that low that I really think I have some terminal illness and that I am going to die soon. Nevertheless, given that it has already buggered my bones up I am determined not to go back on it, I really just wanted to warn everybody about its lesser reported side effects which can have life changing effects for post menopausal women like me. Good Luck to you all

2 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hello Deryl,

I am so sorry you are now going through this, especially after taking such good care of yourself all these years!!  Yes, there are side effects to all of these darn medications!  I have RA, Lupus, Sjogren's and a couple of other auto immune issues, so they are always checking my bone density to try to keep on top of it.  Perhaps while we are on meds like Cital, they should suggest that we take a really good calcium replacement pill with it.  Kind of like they do with some of the RA meds!  That and exercise is all we can do.  I used to do water aerobics, but now with my back being so bad, I have not been able to do anything, and it is so frustrating. 

Regarding how you are feeling, are you going off of Cital slowly, or did you just stop?  You have to be very careful when going off of Cital, you can have some pretty bad withdrawls if you are not careful.

I wish you luck with both issues!!!  And thank you for posting the information for those of us that have been taking Cital for a long time!

• Posted

Hello Diedra,

Thank you so much for your post and for a number of reasons mostly to do with my nasty GP I stopped fairly abruptly and as you say am paying a big price for that with withdrawals but with support like yours I will get there. Thank you

• Posted

Hi Deidra,

My wife is on Citalopram and has been for a while and she is soon to try and her Dr. to change it to Escitalopram which is more effective. I like your suggestion regarding a calcium supplement but suggest that if you this then you should also supplement with vitamin D, K2-7, zinc and magnesium. These will help to prevent the calcium clogging the arteries and the K2-7 will point the way to the bone problems. The D and others are necessary for absorption of the calcium. (I'm an osteoporosis sufferer and have been chasing up on some of these things which I'm hoping will result in not having to take more of the nastier meds to effect a cure).The exercise should activate the osteoblast cells to deposit mor bone wherever the stress from the exercise is felt. It's all good stuff and all tied together and interactive.

Best of luck whichever path you all choose. I have a link to an article on K2-7 if anyone wants it. Can't post it here, the moderators would stop it but you can private message me and I can reply using the same method.

Aristotle

• Posted

Hello Aristotle,

I really appreciate your advice and yes I am already supplementing with K2 -7 from Natto extract and have been on Magnesium, zinc and other beneficial tweaks to my diet. I have for a long time though been afraid to supplement with calcium because of the artery scare and did not know that Vit D, zinc, K2 -7 and magnesium helped to prevent calcium blocking the arteries. A  HUGE THANK YOU for that info.

• Posted

Hello Aristotle,

Thank you so much for the information!!  I do take calcium, D3, and magnesium.  I take a really good multi vit for people over 50 that does have 30mcg of K, which I am sure is very low.  I am 61, and my father was/is still a health "nut" so to speak, and he had my mom and I on vitamins since I can remember.  I continue what he taught me to this day.  He is still a very healthy 83 year old, that still plays tennis, and runs ont he beach daily.  You would not know he was 83 to look at him.  I may not look 61...I just walk a bit funny these days!  smile  With all that is wrong with me, the one thing that is good...I never get colds or flus.  That's one part of me that is healthy!  Ha-Ha!  Until I had back surgery, I walked 3-4 days a week, and did water aerobics 3-4 days a week.  I am just hoping I can get back to at least swimming...I can't stand doing nothing...which leads to some weight gain, and depression...and Cital.  Thanks again for the info, it all helps us along our way!

• Posted

Hi Deidra

I was diagnosed with osteoporosis in the left femur neck and hip joint and osteopenia in various other joints & bones including the back. This was after a dexascan in Sept 2015, around 9 months ago. Was already on some supplements after a scan many years ago, but at that point it was difficult to find out what was going on and I hadn't come across the doctor and her book (cam PM details if you're interested, can't put on this discussion - moderators block it). There's also a very good book on K2, same caveat re moderators. I,m following the natural route avidly with lots of exercise and appropriate supplements and things like kiwifruit and chia seeds (be wary of these and check for warnings on google if you take these; cause problems for ladies). I'm 71 going on 19 and really enjoying life (3 hour and a half gym visits a week with walks inbetween) have caught this condition in time (I hope). Next dexascan due end September.

Note: The Vits D3, K2-7 magnesium and zinc are very important if you take calcium.

Best of luck

Aristotle

• Posted

Hi Deryl. Thanks for that info. I only have been on Cita for about 6 months and I also think exercise plays a big part in our recovery. Hope all works out for youp.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.