Citalopram withdrawals insomnia?

Posted , 9 users are following.

4 weeks after stopping citalopram I've still got insomnia. Only getting 3 hours of sleep a night. Up every night from 2am.

Only took it for 7 days too at 10mg.

When will this stop??

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

• Posted

Did you have insomnia before you took it?
    • Posted

I used to get at least 6-8 hours a night. But not anymore.

Does that make a difference?

• Posted

Why did you stop taking it? I don't see withdrawals lasting that long with you only taking it a week. Sounds like you just got in a bad habit of not sleeping. Naturally calm magnesium works awesome at helping with sleep you can buy it on Amazon.

• Posted

I stopped taking it because I couldn't put up with the side effects.

Nausea, hot flushes, night sweats, insomnia and increase anxiety.

None have gone since I stopped taking it.

Hopefully they'll subside soon.

Heard it can possibly take a few months regardless of how long you were taking it

• Posted

john

The contrindications of this medication can cause some concern in the first five weeks. Withdrawal of the drug after such a short time is not giving the drug time to work well.

You need to be patient and allow th drug time to work.

• Posted

I stopped taking it just over 4 weeks ago now and I'm still struggling. I'm not sure I want to give it another go for anxiety just in case it is something to do with the drug

• Posted

john

I cannot see that Citalopram would cause insomnia on its withdrawal after taking it for only seven days, it may work in helping you to sleep for a period of a few days.

The medication dose  seems to have been quite low so withdrawal of the medication would only take a week or so although take advice from your doctor about this.

If your anxiety is still bad the insomnia may return when you stop taking this drug.

I am suprised at the short priod of time you took the drug as normally the medication can take five weeks to give relief for your Dpression and anxiety.

• Posted

I took it for a short period of time because of the side effects.

The anxiety is definitely back which might be causing the insomnia.

The lack of sleep is definitely getting me down too and I'm convincing myself it's all to do with a bad reaction to the drug

• Posted

john

If you take Citalopram for a short period it will show contrindications. It may help you sleep. To get the AD working well you need to allow the drug five weeks for anxiety and depression. The medication will cause some unpleasent contraindications in that five week period.

Citalopram takes an extended period of up to five weeks to work.

There are better medications out there to treat sleepness nights

• Posted

How are you now? I took it for 4 weeks stopped due to bad reaction and I now too have insane insomnia! I'm two weeks off. Can't sleep at all it's getting me really down

• Posted

I took 10mg citalopram for 7 days nearly 10 months ago now. Stopped because of a bad reaction also. I had lots of side effects since stopping, one is insomnia. Only getting 2-4 hours a night for over six months. Last few months I've been getting more, probably about 6 hours a night. I still wake up during the night but at least I can get back to sleep. I didn't dream at all for 6 months either but they have started to come back too although not every night. Still got other side effects but some are getting slowly better. Have you got any other side effects?

• Posted

Ya I was doing bad! But I think all the aide effects were making my anxiety way outta control so I'm return making everything worse. I finally slept a little last night after my doc advised me to take a half mg of Xanax instead of .25mg before bed. I can pass out but not stay asleep. I think it's all the negative thoughts running through my head all day. I also couldn't eat the whole time I took the citalopram. I was vommiting non stop and lost 25lbs. I'm still exhausted but starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel. Ik that if I can get some actual sleep I'll prob feel a ton BETTER, lack of sleep for the last 6 weeks has taken a tremendous toll on my mind and body

• Posted

Hi, I've stopped taking citalopram after only three weeks use and haven't slept since. Only been three nights but would like peace of mind that all will return to normal. Anybody?

• Posted

If you slept ok before Citalopram it should return, did you stop at 3 weeks because of side effects? They aren't pleasant but as you get used to the drug they slowly go away.

• Posted

I'm having the same problem after taking 20mg Citalopram for 19 days. I'm now off the meds for two weeks.

John, how are you feeling now?

While on Citalopram, I had periods of severe panic attacks day and night, whole body electric shock sensations waking all hours of night, hot flashes / adrenaline spikes with pounding heart and tachycardia, tremors and trembling to a point where it was hard to walk -- none of which I had before. I imagine some of this was due to induction, but was 1000X worse than the mild/moderate anxiety it was meant to treat. Thought I was going to die, seriously.

Tried to taper off for a couple days after doc recommended I stop, but only last one day on 10mg dose, and stopped abruptly realizing that any potential withdrawal after short period of use had to be better than those side-effects.

A couple days after stopping, I went to ER because I would have these shocks and adrenaline spike the very moment I went from wake to sleep over and over again for 4-5 hours. Thought my body was telling me something serious is happening. They gave me Ativan, which has helped with sleep, but am trying not to take it due to it's own problems with longer term use. I was always a pretty good sleeper before (no noteworthy pre-existing insomnia).

It has been better so far, but some problems still persist. Two weeks out, I'm still having waking palpitations (strong heartbeat + about 10-20% increase in heart rate) about 2-4 times a night and some dizziness during the day; then take the Ativan at night as needed after a couple episodes (still nightly).

Any advice on how long it will take for this to stop?

Doctor says he'll send me to cardiologist if palpitations continue after a couple more weeks.

• Posted

all the side effects you are having wether is start up or withdrawals which you are experiencing now i hate to say it but is within the norm of these medication.i had all those side effects plus more eventually they disappeared and iam recover .is good to go to your doctor to get your self check.but dont let the doctors misdiagnosed you with something that the withdrawals is creating.and yes withdrawals happen after a fee days of taking this medication.

• Posted

all the side effects you are having wether is start up or withdrawals which you are experiencing now i hate to say it but is within the norm of these medication.i had all those side effects plus more eventually they disappeared and iam recover .is good to go to your doctor to get your self check.but dont let the doctors misdiagnosed you with something that the withdrawals is creating.and yes withdrawals happen after a fee days of taking this medication.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.