Citalopram withdrawl

Posted , 8 users are following.

i have been taking 40mg Citalapram now for 12 months for depression. i was off work for 10 months, i've been back full time now for 5 months.i've been feeling fine for a while now so decided to stop taking them i havent taken 1 for 7 days now.

is there any health issues doing this?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

there are withdrawal symptoms if you dont slowly taper down the dose over time, I stopped cold turkey a few years back, jitters, anxiety, mind zaps are to name a few, your brain has to resume serotonin production as it was depended on celexa to do so......ask your doc...not safe to stop cold turkey
  • Posted

It’s not safe to go cold turkey you should make a plan with your doctor to come off them slowly.
  • Posted

You shouldn’t stop taking th abruptly as you may experience withdrawal symptoms and/or have a relapse in your mood. The recommendation is that you reduce gradually to come off. I was on 40mg and reduced to 30mg for a couple of months then went down by 5mg every 6 weeks. 

I’d strongly recommend you start them again and do a slow reduction. All the advice out there says not to stop abruptly. 

• Posted

before you stop taken them ,you should come off them gradually otherwise you may get withdrawal systems
  • Posted

I agree with the other comments Andy. I have now been of them for nearly 3 weeks but slowly reduced my dose over a period of nearly 3 months. I still ended up with withdrawal symptoms but they seem to be easing now.

Good luck coming off them, I feel much better for doing so more energy etc

• Posted

Oooh blimey ...... don't just stop taking them or you'll become quite ill and most likely end up feeling depressed again because its a bit of a shock for the body to suddenly stop.  Sometimes the withdrawal effects don't hit you for a while whilst others feel it immediately.

I spent a year withdrawing from 20mg Citalopram and doing it that way had no withdrawal effects at all.  Withdrawal effects are nausea, jitters (inner shake), headaches, anxiety, depression, brain zaps, crying etc.  I had some of these once before when I withdrew over a 6 month period which was still too quick.

I wouldn't say there's any 'health issues' per say, but you won't feel very well which often lasts a long time.  Everyone's different of course.

Go careful.

K x

• Posted

thanks for your feed back ive started to take my tablet again and have an appointment at my GP's to discuss lowering my dosage.

thanks again

• Posted

Good choice Andy! The GP May recommend reducing by 10mg but in my experience it’s better to do it by 5mg every 6-8 weeks. Just do what feels right for you but go slow. 

Good luck!

• Posted

yes,redrawal  symptoms that is worse than the sidev effects of this medicine. Don't  change levels until you speak to your doctor first

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.