Citalopram Withdrawl Symptoms?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all. Ive been taking Citalopram for about 2months to help with anxiety and panics and ran out of tablets last week.

I decided to have a trial without them to see how I'd get on and since then I've had the strangest dizzy sensations and \"wavy\" feelings in my head. Sometimes I feel so lightheaded I feel as though I am going to faint.

I realise that I probably should not have stopped the tablets so abruptly but I was wondering if anyone else has experienced these side effects and how long they last for? Any help would be much appreciated.

0 likes, 5 replies

Report / Delete

5 Replies

• Posted

Years ago I came off seroxat straight away and had those same symtoms-they lasted a few weeks. Not pleasant. Apparently it's best to decrease dose gradually. Hope this helps x
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Whatever SSRi you take you need to withdraw from them slowly. Otherwise you are almost sure to get the kind of symptoms you describe. I've been using citalopram for a few months and it's probably time I tried doing without them. So I'll do what I did with seroxat when I came off that - half a tablet for a couple of weeks, and then a quarter for a couple more weeks. Then a smaller amount for another week and then stop. That was fine.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

hmmm, this is in the same vein but a bit different. i got rediculously drunk on sunday night and had a filthy hangover all day yesterday, i was sick a couple of times so i didnt take my pill until the afternoon then after taking it i started feeling really nauseous and i was sick about an hour later, i'm thinking i must have thrown it up because i seem to be back to day 2 in terms of side effects, i got that wavy dizzy feeling then i couldnt sleep all night and kept laughing manically to myself (!) woke up at midday really dizzy and have been feeling nauseous and spaced out all day.

the suicidal thoughts have started up again and i dont think i can talk to anybody about it, i know i'm feeling guilty about something i've done and it is my own fault but its just eating me up!

sorry for the desparate rant but i'm really stuck

:oops:

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

i have been been on citalopram for 3 years now. I have tried everything to withdraw from taking my medication but cant deal with the head issues :- light head, distorted vision and when moving my hands in front of my eyes i get a trace effect. When i started to take citalopram i was in a bad place but now i can't believe how lucky i am with how my life has turned around. So i know that i don't need to keep taking this drug. It really is'nt a phycological thing it's the physical withdrawal that i can't cope with. elease let me know that i'm nt the only one!
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi - I've had that same dizzy wave experience - it isn't too bad, I took a 10mg today and it's away again. I didn't mean to come off at all - but I had been prescribed Terbinafine for a fungal infection back in April, and have been taking it ever since on the doctor's instructions. I thought my depression had come back, I was moody, weepy, paranoid and angry all the time... then I discovered that the antibiotic is actually cancelling out the Citalopram! I thought, what's the point of wasting my meds, I'll stop them altogether. So I did. That was on Friday. I experienced the most amazing euphoria! Then I was just perfectly calm. I'm crabby just now because it's my time of the month, but wow, the paranoia has gone, I can see things in perfect perspective now, I think what I had experienced since Easter was the withdrawal symptoms, so when I've stopped just now, my body had basically accepted it wasn't getting any more - I have a good fall-back supply, but hey, I'm ok. I have been on Citalopram for 3.5 yrs and they have been very good for me. The highest dose I took was 40mg, mainly because it was at times my life had become impossible because I was studying and working full time! So, persevere - do it your way - don't feel ashamed.
    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up