Citalopram Wobbles

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hey,

I’ve been on Citalopram for 8 weeks come Tuesday, 20mg. I suffered through terrible side effects, lost a stone as I couldn’t eat. Nausea, upset stomach, and terribly heightened  anxiety. After around 3 weeks I started feeling quite alright 😄 But with the rational head on again, I got some news that I feel set me back quite considerably. I was struck with what felt like a depressive state, very detached and agitated for a few days. This eventually settled again and I was good again, until the last 3-4 days. I’m dipping again.....I just want to know if this is normal. It is only 8 weeks right.....I shldn’t expect the world so early on? 

It’s so frustrating when u pick up and think you’re on the right path just to take a dip again. 

I’m just looking for reassurance, so I don’t give up hope or mess with doses (it’s so tempting) 🤔 

Success stories on a post card please 🙏🏻

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi there

What you’re going through is completely normal. I’ve been on citalopram for 6 months now and I’ve had many blips along the way where I felt like I had gone two steps back after feeling better. 8 weeks is still very early days. It’s great that you’ve been feeling a bit better which shows that the medication is working, but citalopram takes time to work fully and do it’s job.

It’s all part of the process, upping your dose at this stage does not mean you’ll recover any quicker so it’s always good to stay on the dose you are on to give it a fair chance to work. In the meantime while you go through these setbacks, just accept them and remember that they will pass. Go for walks, have a relaxing bath, read a book, anything uplifting that you enjoy doing. 

Hope you feel better soon 😊

• Posted

I’m on week 3 going into 4 currently.. so far it’s been one hell of a roller coaster. I can be fine then go back to where I was. rolleyes I am better than I was when I first started that’s for sure but I do have the okay days and the bad days. Doctor said it’s normal and that it can take many weeks to months to see a complete 100% change. I pray it’s worth it! 
  • Posted

hello, what you are going through is completely normal. the changing from depression, feeling okay/good and anxiety is very unnerving. you get used to dealing with one bad state, then you feel okay or good, and think this is it, im okay. you let your guard down, only to go into another bad state, which youve forgotten how to deal with. gradually the degree of change reduces, and you become more balanced. i think it goes depression, feeling okay and then anxiety, then back to depression and so on. think i know why it does this, but not sure if it helps to explain. whatever, its normal. these changes should be start to lessen in severity around the 6 to 12 week period. sometimes it can take longer.if the changes keep happening at the same degree, and you dont feel you are progressing, a dose increase may be needed. some people carry on with the same dose, but their recovery can take longer, while others have a dose increase, where they are likely to go through side effects again, before getting a stronger recovery response. you are already well into recovery, with the changes you are experiencing. if it was myself, and the changes were still quite severe after 12 weeks, i would be looking for an increase. its a personal thing though. you need to try to look back, ignore your current state, and see if overall, you are still progressing.
  • Posted

hi moaney,all of the things you mentioned are the side effects .they should get less as you near 10/12 weeks.Do not mess around with the dosage ,as if you do them the side effects will; last longer
  • Posted

I aprreciate everyone’s comments....it truly does help. I’m struggling and I can’t make sense of it on my own. I so want this to be over. I want to be back to normality. I’m off work at the moment, I work 3 days a week. My partner is supportive, but he struggles with me dipping too as I think he thinks I have an on off switch so why not use it. I wish it was that easy. I have two little children that notice me change I’m sure as I’m extremely teary, crying most of the day!! 

How long should I expect this to last. So far I seem to get 1 week of feeling good then 1 of feeling like this again....😪

• Posted

its hard to say exactly as everyone is different, but the severe mood changes should be gone in the next 4 weeks. could be a generalisation, but people seem to be at different stages during the first 12 weeks, but their situations improve significantly around the 12 week mark.
    • Posted

I truly hope this is the case as I’m really struggling with this. I’m struggling to cope with it at the moment. I feel like it is consuming me 😪 I question wether I shld just up my dose as the side effects that were the worst was heightened anxiety, which I am experiencing at the moment anyway. Nausea was hard too but I’ve had two babies with 9 months of morning sickness so I’m used to it u cld day. 🙈 I wish I cld just make a decision and stick with it!! 

• Posted

are you taking citalopram for depression or anxiety predominantly?
    • Posted

you should wait another 4 weeks at least then, before considering a dose increase. anxiety seems to take longer to get it under control. if you do need an increase, staying on your current dose for 4 weeks longer, should lessen the side effects a bit. you are having good and bad days, so its working to a degree, you just need to give it longer. most people with depression say tbat anxiety is last thing to go, and happens around 10 to 12 week mark. i presume you have cut out ALL caffeine completely, ie never have any of it.
    • Posted

U’re right...I just start to question the meds and my recovery when I dip as I wasn’t expecting it to happen and expected it to happen just as the packaging says....”1-2 weeks side effects, 6-8 weeks at its full effect” So makes me feel like it mustn’t be for me. Saying that I’ve followed this forum for a while now and I’m fully aware that the packaging is almost false hope as the majority of ppl have taken much longer. We r all different, I must remind myself at times 😐 I will stick it out!! 

I don’t really have much in the way of caffeine and switched to decaf tea bags. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.