Citalorapram does anybody recognise these side effects

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi Everyone, since being on amitryptyline and citalorapram for past 3 years I have had lots of the following symptoms and would like to know if others have too as am convinced its to do with the meds. all the nasties like MS, Tia, Stroke etc have been ruled out.

Photophobia

Tinnitus

Tingling and numbness down right side of body.

Hemiplegic migraines

Headaches

Dizziness

Weak muscles

Weight gain

Stomach various issues

Head pressure

Slurring of speech

Bumping into things

Short term memory problems

Movements at side of eyes

Flashes at corner of one eye

Sensitivity to sound

Skin crawling sensations

I have probably missed some out, and these symptoms are sporadic. Sounds horrendous because it is, and my symptoms are improving since reducing my meds. I would really like to know if anyone has experienced any of these, and have to say its been a really lonely condition as people do not understand.

1 like, 27 replies

27 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Have posted twice in error, how do you delete one?
  • Posted

I would be concerned more with the amytriptyline giving you those horrible side effects than the celexa..I have had those side effects you mention from the celexa but they disappeared..is when you add two different antidepressants to your system all hell breaks loose...
  • Posted

I would be concerned more with the amytriptyline giving you those horrible side effects than the celexa..I have had those side effects you mention from the celexa but they disappeared..is when you add two different antidepressants to your system all hell breaks loose...
    • Posted

I agree with what you say about Amit and thankfully and in withdrawal from tapering with these at the moment am on 2.5mg.Although some side effects have gone, I have noticed that the right side of my head down to my feet is still tingling and today after taking celexa its worse. Makes me wonder if my hemiplegic migraine diagnosis is wrong. Unfortunately I wont know until I come off the meds which will take me 6 months.
    • Posted

I was on 30mg, and tapered to 20 last december and decided to concentrate on getting off amit first.
  • Posted

these may be side effects from citrolopram
    • Posted

Is more than likely the decreasing of the amitryptyline..Al though the celexa mimics the side effects of the amitryptyline ..i bet the culprit here is that amitryptyline..I know that amitryptyline is sometimes prescribed for headaches..but withdrawing from this med is worst than celexa..as far as the discontinuation symptoms..
    • Posted

Thanks Lois, I had the symptoms before tapering. I am coming off them due to the symptoms. And yes Amit tapering has been hell, have been signed off by doctor this week for high blood pressure only took one blood pressure tablet, because I have a machine and it always spikes when I taper. Now my reading is 99/75 . Doctors do not listen. Withdrawal from amit is hell! Such a relief to hear someone saying that. Thank you.
    • Posted

Hopefully you will feel better tapering of the amytriptyline..iam not a fan of two antidepressants in your system ..only because you get confused of what's doing what..good luck saying a prayer for you..

• Posted

When I try amytriptyline for my headaches I had all those symptoms you mentioned and I only took it for one week...it was horrible..and I was eating like a hog...
    • Posted

Thank you so much, all the best to you.

Your last post is spot on re two anti depressants in the system i couldnt agree more.

Whats even more shocking is I was not put on any of them for depression or anxiety. I could kick myself for trusting the doctors.

• Posted

Yes thats when my symptoms started, took me 3 years to work out it was the meds, its taken me months to get a doctor to listen, and finally found one who is helping me. So pleased you got off them quickly, sadly I lost my job, friends, longterm relationship.

Am alot better now with a job and new friends.

• Posted

Oh no ..I would come off also..I would never take a medication that's prescribed for something else ..ok I see now ..so what you are having is horrible side effects from both meds.. Because if your not suffering from depression or anxiety what's the purpose..these doctor's are wacked..

• Posted

They gave amit to me for sleep and celexa for hot flushes for the menopause, I was reluctant to go on HRT.

I have been a longterm sufferer of anxiety due to PTSD, am no longer suffering so much from it, so can empathise with anyone that does.

• Posted

They should of gave you ziplocone for sleep..celexa does take care of the hot flashes it did for me . although my initial anxiety was those migraines and heart issues..a trip to the emergency gave me the answers that it was anxietys..head scan chest scans.all the blood work .. every thing negative..been a guinea pig to all kinds of antidepressants . finally celexa was the one that took away all my physical anxiety symptoms.. thank goodness..and iam recovered and still taking celexa ten milligrams..my phychiatrist refused to upped my dose..
    • Posted

They should of gave you ziplocone for sleep..celexa does take care of the hot flashes it did for me . although my initial anxiety was those migraines and heart issues..a trip to the emergency gave me the answers that it was anxietys..head scan chest scans.all the blood work .. every thing negative..been a guinea pig to all kinds of antidepressants . finally celexa was the one that took away all my physical anxiety symptoms.. thank goodness..and iam recovered and still taking celexa ten milligrams..my phychiatrist refused to upped my dose..
    • Posted

Yes! I agree celexa is good for anxiety am pleased to hear you only take 10mg. I really believe the side effects are worse the more you take. I noticed an improvement from 30 to 20mg, apparently I have a sensitivity to them.
    • Posted

I also have a sensitivity to ssris..I lasted two weeks on 20milligrams of celexa ..as soon as I was decrease all the nasty side effects started to subside..and it took me four months to see inprovements and 8 months to recover...
    • Posted

Thats encouraging that your side effects disappeared, I cant wait for that to happen and am expecting my recovery from withdrawal to take a long time too, its just so exhausting though, and feels never-ending.

Thanks so much for your replies, I feel more normal now over all this.

• Posted

Yes Paula finding that sweet spot on celexa is the key here..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.