Citolapram withdrawl

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello all, 

I am currently withdrawing from citolapram after 10-11 years. I have done it really slowly and only really noticed withdrawal when down to 2.5 mg from 30. My current dose is 2.5. I’m really struggling to tell if symptoms are withdrawal or just how I am! The symptoms are lightheaded, feel like I’m moving sometimes when I’m not, very jittery, racing heart and insomnia. Does anyone know if these are withdrawals ? And has anyone successfully come off citolapram ? I need some hope. 

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

I never try to come off celexa.but I have come off other ssris..and yes those are withdrawals..take care..I will never try again that's for sure ..iam on celexa now..and will be forever..

• Posted

Hi,

Yes these look like withdrawal, and unfortunately they could be worse!

I was on Celexa 20 mg for 13 years on/off, and tried to unsuccessfully stop it 3 times, but had to reinstate due to severe withdrawal symptoms.

Finally the 4th time I very very gradually weaned off during a period of 6 years, and was able to come off without any problems.

Now I am off for 5 years, and I am fine.

Hope the best for you.

• Posted

Thank you for your replies. It’s so difficult to know wether to reinstate 5mg or carry on now on 2.5. The withdrawals seem to hit 3 months after a reduction I’m not sure why it’s very strange. Anyone have experience of this. 
  • Posted

Hi again,

In my previous attempts to stop it after usually 2 years on,and weaning off for 6 months, withdrawing symptoms were hitting me after several months being off the drug!

So I had to reinstate quickly to my original dose, in order to stabilize again.

Usually it was difficult due to the side effects again, and was taken longer time to get back, but I was lucky that they do work again.

Some times that doesn't happen, and then the trouble start!

Take care.

• Posted

There is so little help out there on withdrawal. I just want someone to tell me what I should be doing. I am experiencing withdrawals but they are manageable. Do you think I should just stay at this dose and hopefully they will settle? 
  • Posted

How long do the comments take to be moderated?? Woman in need here ! 
  • Posted

HI guys I’m still after some advice I’m currently withdrawing after cutting to 2.5 from 5mg I’m 3 months on 2.5 and experiencing withdrawals.  I don’t feel anxious in my mind but I do in my body. Getting lightheaded, insomnia heart racing and I’m finding it hard to calm down. Does anyone have any advice on what to do? I don’t know wether to carry on and hope they settle or reinstate a higher dose ? Please advice needed. 
  • Posted

What dose would you go back to ? I’m devastated was doing so well! Do you not think the withdrawals will settle ? 
  • Posted

I had been on 40 mg of citalopram for 10 years (kids were 2 and 5 at the time of starting).  decided it was time to go off.  30mg for 30 days, 20 mg for 30 days, 10 mg for 30 days...during all the reductions...never had any side effects.  went from 10 to 0  and it's been 2 weeks and having the light headedness and insomnia still.  wrote to the dr today (and no message back) about going on 5mg and so on.  thought it was pretty bad on his part to say i should just go from 10 to zero and not even offered a 5 knowing what the side effects are during reduction.

• Posted

My withdrawals don’t start until 3 months reduction it is so strange. I have been dizzy all afternoon it’s horrible makes me feel so Ill 
  • Posted

Citolapram does not come in 5mg tablets. 10 is the lowest I bought a pill cutter for the reductions. Thank you for replying keep in touch it’s nice to hear from somebody who is going through the same x 
    • Posted

Yes the pill cutter always to the rescue.. praying for your recovery..
    • Posted

Why do you want to come off ..if they make you feel good?????

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.