Citralopram

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have been taking citalopram for years started taking 20mg then 10mg i have been doing well on that but was having problems at work and was sighned off with deporesion was advised to increase them to 20mg have put it off for mounths then thought i would try taking them i gave always taken them in the morning i have increased them graduly and i am takeing them at night but feel really anxios and confused and feel maybe i should have stayed in 10mg i hope i feel better soon sorry about the long email

1 like, 17 replies

17 Replies

• Posted

Hi Tracy

Ive taken these meds for years too and also started on 20mg.  Like you, I reduced to 10mg and stayed on that for years and am now on 5mg.

Sometimes stress can be too much for our bodies, and even though taking meds, your body can start to have a problem if the stress is prolonged.  Seems a shame you had to increase your dose because of something outside of your control that's happening at work.

I think increasing to 20mg for a while is a good thing though - think of it as a temporary measure, and when you're back on your feet again maybe you could reduce them again.  I've done the same over the years.

Can the problems at work be addressed if they're causing you depression?  

The dose increase will make you feel a little more anxious etc for a while - they're just side effects and will wear off.  You should feel the benefit in a few weeks time.

Stick the 20mg for now - they'll help you.  In the meantime, can you talk to someone about your work problem, as it's not right your health as suffered because of it.  They have a duty of care towards you.

K xx

• Posted

Hi kate thanks for your advice really apriciate it the problems at work has been going on for quite a while i have resisted taking the 20mg becasaus i have been copeing ok ive started taking hrt as well i increased the dose by taking half in the morning and half at night but i am now taking the 20mg at night when i was on the ten i always took them in the morning i just keep feeling anxios and blaming myself for increasing them as i was ok as i was and everything is getting better at work and it also feels strange taking them at night i have been on the 20mg for5 days now hope it getts better by the way sorry about the long email thanks
    • Posted

Hi Tracy

Youre not to blame for taking an increased dose.  Life's stresses force our bodies to react in the way it knows best - your decision to take mediciation to correct this is perfectly normal.  Some people need to take medicine for diabetes - the medicine corrects this ailment.  Some people thrive on stress, and some people don't fair as well.  I don't cope well with stress.

Ive always taken my meds in the morning, and some people take them at night.  It doesn't really matter when you take them as you'll get the same benefit whatever time of day they're taken.  Some people prefer evening and some prefer mornings.

I left my last job because of bullying.  I'd been happy there doing a responsible job for years, but when the new boss arrived she was vile, and picked people off one by one ...... complaints to higher management fell on deaf ears.  When it began affecting me emotionally at work and then at home, it was time to leave.  The relief I felt was so good!!  After I left 4 years ago, many other colleagues followed me under the same circumstances.  Hey ho ..... their loss! 😄

Im sure you'll soon settle down nicely on the 20mg which enable you to cope better wi how you're feeling.  In time when you've been well for ages, you can think about reducing them again.

Id come off these meds a few years ago, but family illness started to take its toll on me, so I restarted on 20mg 2 years ago because I didn't want to sink back into a hole again.  After everything improved and I felt well again, I reduced to 10mg and am now on 5mg.  I wouldn't hesitate to increase if I needed to.

Hey no worries about long messages ..... mine is too 😄❤️

K xx

• Posted

Thank you so much kate it helps so much to talk to someone who understands how they can affect you i was put on tranqalizers excuse the spellin when i was 17 i had a bad breakedown then i was adictited to them for ten year it was hell getting off of them the when i fell pregnant with my daughter i was taking anafrinail by the time i was three months they said she would be born with disabilaties she was born with a hole in her heart and learning difulcties i will always feel guilty about it but i dident no i citropram seem less adictive they have helped me with my anxiety and deppresion again sorry about the long email really appricate your comments thanks tracy
    • Posted

Hi Tracy

I am sorry to hear that about your daughter - bless her xx.  You have nothing to be guilty of - some people need medication at the time.  I also used to take Anafranil for years, and took throughout both my pregnancies.  I wouldn't had coped otherwise.  I had a breakdown when I was 20 and spent the next 15 years fighting depression and anxiety on and off with Anafranil, CBT, hypnotherapy, and whatever else was offered.  Nothing worked.  I was then put onto SSRI's and I recovered within 6 months.  I've stayed well for 20 years now.

In the early days I had tranquillisers too, but I didn't stay long on them as they made me feel ill.  I've heard people can have a bade time coming off them.

Citalopram isn't addictive - there's no dependency.  However, when the time comes to come off them, then yes they have to be withdrawn slowly.  The slower the better.  I've come off these before and did it by 5mg at a time and had no problems, unlike once before when I reduced them and felt quite ill.

K xx

• Posted

Hi kate thanks for your advice it is such a relief to no other people take anidepresants during pregnancy i was paut on them by the doctor when i was three mounth the damage was done i was also on tranqualizer she is 30 now i had post natel deppresion when i had her so mu ex husbands parents got custody of her and i had a bad social worker so we have no contact because her grandparent told her i tried to kill her because i took anyidepresent turning her agains me me yougest daughter was taken away for a while because they thought we couldent cope but we got her back when she was 3 lost out on the best time with her shes 30 this year and now ive got a grandson so want to be at my best thanks so much kate all the best
    • Posted

It always surprises me to hear other people's opinions of us when we take anti depressants.  I heard people say 'oh I would take those, I'd deal with it on my own'.  Another is 'the sooner you stop those the better'.  Really?  I always ask if they've ever suffered with depression, because the reality of it is far, far worse than they can ever imagine.  No, we don't want to take medicine, and I doubt someone who has diabetes or epilepsy wants to either, and would they ask those people the same questions about not taki meds?  I doubt it.  So why are we different.

This illness is physical.  Whatever the reason that started it, be it emotional, mental or physical - it starts off a physical reaction that's beyond our control, and the emotional and mental side of it keeps it running in a cycle.  Depression-anxiety-negative thinking etc etc.  These meds help to break that cycle.

We needed medicine when we did.  I would rather have not taken meds, but my body needed it.  We don't choose to take meds just for the fun of it.  People forget that.  Whatever people say, you know in your heart what's true xx  Your doctor knew what was best and you relied on him to guide you at the time.

Sometimes we have to think of ourselves - concentrate on our health and getting better.

Ooh a grandson 😄❤️  How old is he?

• Posted

Typos!!

Some people say 'I wouldn't take those'

• Posted

Your so right kate unless you have been through anxiety and deppresion they will never no how hard it is to cope with sometimes changing my tabs to 20 from 10 has really made me anxious and taking them in the night instead of morning maybe i should have stayed the way i was i was doing so well but ill see how it goes hopeing it gets easier 😞sorry to go on about it 🙉 oh my grandsons just over 2 mounths bless him gonnan see him today 😃 wish you well kate have a good day 😆
    • Posted

There's so many things that make us anxious - and like you say changing your tablet dose.  If you feel uneasy about taking them in the morning you can change to the evening.  I don't think it matters when it's taken during the day, but of course some people find it better evenings and other mornings.  I take mine in the mornings.

Awwww your grandson is quite young then - how cute!!  You'll get so much joy from him 😄

K xx

• Posted

Hi kate i have started takeing them at night where i was taking them in the morning what really worries me is my memory loos and i get confused im going to the doctors tommorrow ill have a word with h8m i think the neopause dont help still having my daughter and grandson here has helped thanks kate 😄
    • Posted

Some people do report memory problems on these meds, but it usually wears off.  Yes have a word with your doctor - might even be worth taking something herbal that helps too.

Let us know how the doctors went.

K x

• Posted

Hi kate went to doctors he said take half a tablet this morning and half tonight and tommorrow start taking 20mg every morning then cut them down to ten just started to feel better be glad when i can get back to normal if there is such a thing hope you dont mind me sending you messages it has really helped trying not to worry to much other wise im gonna get stressed x
    • Posted

Hi Tracy

That sounds a good plan.  It helps to feel reassured by your doctor.  Everyone will be fine and you'll be back to normal in no time I'm sure.  Absolutely I don't mind in the least to hear from you - only too glad to help xx

I'm with you through all this xx

• Posted

Everything ..... not everyone 😄  Seriously, this predictive text will one day get me into trouble! 🙃
    • Posted

Thanks kate i appricate that feel a bit strange but as you say hopefully ill get back to normal soon 😕

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.