Citralopram, Should I take it or not

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi I'm knew to this forum and was looking for some help and advice, from the February this year I have been experiences what my dr's say are Anxiety and Panic Attack, I've never had them before and all I can say is they are horrible. My doctor wants me to go on 10mg Citralopram but I'm scared too, i was on seroxat about 20 years ago and could'nt handle the way they made me feel, any help would be appriecated, thanks.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

HI Leigh-anne

I have been on Seroxat a few times in the last 20 years on and off, came off them a few years back.  I too suffer with anxiety/panic an am now on Citalopram.  What way did Seroxat make you feel?  For me Cit seems abit better in terms of I feel myself, no dullness of emotions or anything, I feel fab.  

• Posted

Hi Louise

Thank you for replying, I was given them about 17 years ago, i felt really bad, they got me to the stage I did'nt want to be here anymore, my depression got so bad on them and I was constantly shaking.

• Posted

Hi Leigh-anne, I take 10mg Citalopram and find they have helped me, i have had no panic attacks since and my anxiety as decreased to virtually nill. I am feeling very good on them. 

Elizabeth.

• Posted

Hi Elizabeth, thanks for replying, how long did they take to work? I was told they could make me feel worse and to be honest I dont want to feel any worse.

• Posted

Hi Leigh-anne, they took about 4 weeks to work properly. I was prescribed 20mg initially but side effects were too much, went down to 10mg and have been fine since. So for me it was worth sticking with them. Now i am feeling good on them.

Elizabeth. 

• Posted

Hi Elizabeth, thanks for getting back to me, I think I might just have to bite the boolet and give them a try, but will leave them till after Christmas, I dont want to have to deal with starting them and that at the sametime. I'm glad your feeling good now. One thing being this way has taught me is to deal with things at the time and don't keep them bottled up and think you have to keep going for everyone else.

Leigh-Anne

• Posted

Well to get rid of anxiety and panic attacks dr. will put you on anti depression pill which can be relaxed you for some period of time but cannot get out of the condition. To overcome these issues you must start doing exercise therapy like physical exercise and mental exercise. When we say mental exercise you need to acquire yourself doing indulge in scientific therapies and exercise for doing your mind fresh and the physical exercise means doing 30 minutes regular walk or running.
    • Posted

Hi onlineherbalpil,

Thank for replying to me, I appreciate what your saying but due to disabilities I find the physical exercise part difficult, I do walk but only manage a short distance, and I attend a counsellor weekly, she has been great and really does understand what I'm going through.

• Posted

Hello Leigh-anne,

Your letter resonated with me. Like you, the gp wanted me to go on Citalopram after 6 months of hell. I was convinced I was sick and had dreadful panic attacks thinking I was dying. I finally agreed after 6 months and it just took 2 weeks to see an improvement. I have been on them for 6 months and I feel great. I don't ever want to come off them. If it's not broken, don't mend it. I have absolutely no side effects. Don't be frightened. I was reading all sorts on here. It has been a godsend. Good luck

• Posted

Hello yadi09853,

Thank you for replying to me, I'm glad to here your feeling better, my biggest prob is worrying what the side effects are going to be like and still not believing that after 10 months it anxiety. Don't get me wrong I've had all sorts off tests and they've all came back clear but I still don't seem to believe the doctors, due to previous experiences with family members one which ended up in me loosing my mum and nearly loosing my mother-in-law.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.