Cittalopram 10mg

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi - dont know if I'm doing this right as only normally use ipad for shopping!

Anyway I'll try - have been on citalopram before (2008) and have just started again on 10mg daily - taken 19 days already - 1st 14 days got through okay just headache, gurgling stomach, funny legs, hot etc. slept not too bad - on day 15 couldn't sleep for being anxious, irritable etc....just feeling awful - this is day 19 and am still not feeling completly well - last time I took them just had side effects for 1st two weeks - have also got diazepam to take when required -have only taken 2 of these so far! - I take my tablet 10am daily - has anyone been okay ish for the first 2 weeks and then felt not so good?

thank you

2 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I'm curious exactly what you're being treated for - is it just 'run-of-the-mill' depression? anxiety?

I haven't had the best luck with citalopram personally.  I did well on Lexapro (escitalopram) for a time - which is a stronger and shorter-acting version of citalopram.  It costs more, however.

Anxiety treatments are not an exact science.  Some people respond well to SSRIs (like Paxil or Citalopram), some don't, and for some the medicine works for a short time, then "peters out" and the patient stops responding.  At that point the drug is not really effective for the patient, and the side effects are more noticable than the benefit.

Diazepam is a GREAT drug for temporary anxiety, but not so great on the long term.  Similar in a couple of big ways to alcohol, it works great at first, but the brain and body build a tolerance, requiring more and more of the drug to get the same effect.

I'm not sure I'd recommend citalopram for depression or anxiety.  For me, drugs of that sort actually provoke anxiety, especially in social situations.  I just don't feel quite "right" when taking citalopram.  For me, the side effects and dull feeling was far more of a detriment than the features of the drug were a benefit, but everyone is different.

• Posted

Hi - i'm on citalopram for anxiety and depression - as i said had been on these a few years ago with good results and thats why i went back on these - get scared when they mention 'prozac'.

I understand that these medicines are different for every one - i decided that i needed something when these anxiety attack started coming back about 2 years ago - i have thought of therapy but havent got round to it.

I have doctor at end of month so will wait and see what he says.

Thank you for responding, much appreciated

• Posted

Dear Susan

I am going through something similar I went on citalopram 10 years ago and had little side affects I stayed on it for about 4 years came off it slowly and had no anxiety from 2006 until this year I am now back on it and did 2 weeks on 10mg and now week 3 on20 mg I mainly have attacks with palpitations and burning sensation in the skin at early hours of the morning like 3am and then can't get back to sleep I don't remember it taking this long to kick in last time I feel pretty good during the day and take my tablet at breakfast. the only way I can stop these attacks is to take a.05 diazapam but don't want to rely on these too much Last night I had a bad night because I didn't take a tranquilliser and so felt exhausted all day I'm seeing my doctor next week so will update you with his advice then In the meantime hang in there We are all in this together and it's good having some support . Take care and keep smiling Vivx

• Posted

Viv - thank you for ur answer

Yesterday i drove for first time yesterday for 5 weeks (work in school catering - 6 weeks holidays) - the journey to Aberdeen from my house is about 14 miles - got there ok - to see my dad and brother - but had to leave at 2pm as felt 'funny' - came home and felt better but last night i felt as if i had no sleep at all - hot, sweat, pins and needles in hands, burning thigh area, gurgling in intestines etc - didnt want to take diazepam as driving again today - i have doctor on 29th august so i think i'll keep on them till then - maybe the 10mg is not enough! - would be grateful if you let me know how you get on at doctor - many thanks and regards - susan

• Posted

Hi Susan

i hope you start feeling better soon.

i would encourage you to consider CBT - this is a worthwhile therapy & it will help you to manage your emotions & feelings. Contact MIND to see if you can register for a course or for 1 to 1 goal setting course in your area. In some areas, your GP may have to refer you for CBT - I was able to self refer via a website in my area.

take it easy susan

sleepy crow

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.