Claustrophobia

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am very claustrophobic, to the point where I can't even get into a lift. But I have hurt my knee and have a very important hospital appointment on Monday on the 5th floor. Normally I would climb all five flights (at 77 years old that takes me quite a while!) but I can't do that now so… does anyone out there have any suggestions at all that I could use to get myself into the lift, and once in it, not to get hysterical when the doors close (I can hardly type that I'm so scared!)?

Last time I tried getting into a lift, years ago, I just stood outside and cried, and gave up, which was so embarrassing…

1 like, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Edited

I am so sorry Sue that you are feeling that way. I used to also be afraid of riding in an elevator.

there are several things that really helped me .

The main thing is to distract your mind on other things so you can relax. Some of the things I did were...

1. first, I would take a nice long, slow, deep breath before getting on.
    2. I would do things such as make a mental list of things I have to do that day.
    3. using the alphabet, come up with names for girls or boys.
    4. Bring a crossword puzzle.
    5. countdown from 100 in your head.
    6. I would put a rubber band on my wrist and snap it the second I started to worry, it actually worked!

There’s so many other things you can do, that would help you a lot! The main thing is, you’re keeping your mind focused on something else that requires concentration. The minute you lose that concentration, get back to what you were doing.

Before you know it, the ride will be over!

once I did it a couple times, that was the end of my fear. I realized that I needed to challenge myself and not give into fear.

Remember that what we fear is not reality. It’s our mind that creates fear.

millions and millions of people ride elevators every day and are just fine..

Focus really hard on your mental distraction.

I found that closing, my eyes helped along with the mental distraction.

❤ you can do it!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.