Clenching teeth

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hey guys, anyone experience extreme teeth grinding in their sleep? If I'm having a very vivid dream that I believe isn't a dream at the time as I am a lucid dreamer, I notice in my dream my jaw will start clenching very tight that I can't open them and that's when I become aware of being in a dream and try to stop but to no avail, curious if anyone had this issue with anxiety as I am a very anxious person, can't even escape in the sleep world

I think I might go get a mouth guard

2 likes, 8 replies

Report / Delete

8 Replies

• Posted

Note: sometimes I wake myself up out of sleep because I hear a horrible grinding sound in my head haha, a lot of times I don't realize it but it must be bad to hear it

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Yea I've only noticed this today. Not so much grinding teeth but clenching my jaw is def a problem it's so weird that it's happening when I've never had that problem before

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I do this a lot. I'll have dreams that all my teeth are breaking out and then I wake up and realize I've been grinding my teeth in my sleep. Its a really strange feeling.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi Emily. I also suffer from bruxism aka clenching of teeth. I got a mouth guard from the dentist and not sure if it helps. I wake with a headache every morning and guessed, combined with my snoring, this was the reason. I have tried a new pillow, wearing an anti snoring ring on the little finger (useless!) and nasal sprays. I now have to believe its a symptom of withdrawal from Propranolol and Citoprolam. I am typing this with a pain over my right eye!
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hello Ian! Bruxism is awful, isnt it? I usually wake up in the mornings with pain over and behind my right eye as well, along with pain in the right side of my jaw. Some mornings it feels almost exactly like a migraine. I've always had this problem, but I noticed mine got a lot worse after starting citalopram. I've been thinking about going and buying a night guard from the store, but I've heard a lot of mixed reviews about them.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I see a maxillary surgeon for this. He told me second worst he has seen. I use a soft mouth splint at night. I have to replace this Twice a year i go thru them. Its crazy what i do. Severe clenching when im asleep. Hence a lot of symptoms and ear stuff  but this is bad for you. Its so weird this is something my body wants to do. I have eeven tried hypnosis to stop this. Terrible headaches, dizziness, ear aches, tinnitus, eustatian tube issues, neck gland aches. Tmjd. Is horrible. Inread its gets better as you age but im not seeing this yet. One dr. Told me it releases endorphins from the severe clenching and thats how it starts but it feels like a disorder that clenching my jaw lol. 
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Not sure if it's every night or only sometimes, I don't wake up with any problems and very rarely have teeth pain or jaw pain, I notice if I down some Gatorade before bed or anything but water that will leave a sour taste in my mouth it will happen for sure, again not sure if I only notice it then but I don't drink anything but after anymore especially before bed

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up