Clicking?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Thank you for all your responses from my first question🙏🏼🙏🏼

Want to ask if clicking in the new hip is normal?

I’m on day 5 of my post op and when I do certain movements I hear and feel a clicking movement in my new hip?

I did tell the surgeon the next day once I started walking and was told it’s very early days as my muscles were cut open...

Is this normal or has anyone else experienced this?

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi Basilio

Yep completely normal.  I'm 8 weeks post op and my hip still does it - not all the time, and less than it did a couple a weeks ago, but it definitely still clicks.

My understanding of this phenomenon (rightly or wrongly) is that the new hip is settling down and the tendons are making the 'clicking'.

• Posted

Hi basilio, did you have anterior or posterior approach?  I had heard that anterior was more likely to click. I am not sure how true that is though, so it would be interesting to know what type of approach you had. 
    • Posted

Dear Basilio

You could use the word method, but basically it means the technique used to do the surgery.

Hope that helps.

Richard

• Posted

Sorry Basilio, I meant was the incision from the front or back of your hip?

• Posted

Dear Basilio

I would say it is not that unusual but would also say that it is likely to be an indication that your muscles have a lot of work to do to hold the joint together strongly, and that you are at risk of dislocation if you do not take a lot of care.

Cheers, Richard

• Posted

I'm now 8 days post op and have the same thing. When trying to walk on crutches can sometimes feel hip clicking. 2-3 days ago this happened alot and seems to be getting less as the days go by. I've been told at such an early stage this can sometimes happen but still find it worrying. Not sure how helpful that is but at least you know you're not alone!

• Posted

Very normal - mine now squeaks every now and again, usually when I get up from tying my shoelaces. eek
    • Posted

Dear Graham

Surely squeaking is a different thing to clicking? I've experienced clicking but I did have loud squeaking when my failing hip (20years) was metal on metal following the failure of the only, and clonking for the previous five plus years. This clonking seemed to be due to wear and I could induce this by letting my leg hang down!

Cheers Richard

• Posted

Yes, different noises presumably for different reasons, but all surgeons I have asked why don't seem to know why eekcry

• Posted

Amazing how we are all different. 2 years post posterior. Never a squeak or Click. (So far). 
    • Posted

Dear Steve

Both the primary and the recent revision were/are silent and both times were carried out using the posterior approach using a titanium ball and poly cup.

Cheers Richard

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.