Clunking

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi I’m 10 weeks post  THR with ceramic head and polyethelyne liner. I’m doing well mostly,  pain free good mobility. However over the last 2- weeks I’ve been getting a clunking sound occasionally from the hip. Is this usual? I’m seeing my consultant in 2- weeks time for the 12 week check up. I’m usually very active salsa dancing gardening etc but have held back on the dancing until i get the  week sign off. , and just doing a bit on the cross trainer as recommended by the Physio.  Any ideas - feeling very worried now!

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Nikki. I am 9 weeks post of tomorrow and, like you, very active. I developed a clunking noise at 5 weeks and worried I had dislodged something. (I have all ceramic, including liner as I'm very slim and my surgeon said a polyethelyne liner would have been so thin it wouldn't have done the job properly). When I had my 6 week check I asked if I could have an x-ray. My lovely surgeon immediately agreed but bet his mortgage on the fact that all was well. It was! The noise was produced by various muscles and ligaments etc. sorting themselves out. Strangely enough, I was about to post that the noise stopped yesterday. I'm sure yours will too but I completely understand your concerns. Try not to worry.

• Posted

Thanks Marion. That’s really reassuring. I am not over weight at all so I know it can’t be too much strain in the joint. I’m hoping it’s ligaments and tendons juat settling like you suggested. They are

X- rather it in 2- weeks when I see the consultant again - fingers crossed I’ve not torn or broken any of my new spare parts!

• Posted

I am 11 weeks post op.  Three weeks ago, I lifted something heavy and strained my psoas muscle.  I was in pain in the groin for 2 weeks before getting a psoas massage by a physiotherapist.  After the groin pain went away (the day after the massage), I got a slight clicking noise. from time to time.  It lasted for about a week and has now disappeared.  If you are not having any pain from the clunking sound, I wouldn't worry about it.  Some liner/head combinations are more prone to this.  From what I have read, they are a nuisance, but not harmful.  I also had the ceramic head and polyethylene liner.  It's good that you have an appointment in 2 weeks time so you can your surgeon about it, but in the meantime I would not worry about it.

• Posted

Clunking is not a good sound to hear is it, I would guess that either the joint is unstable, something is loose, or (more likely) a tendon or muscle is 'popping' over the new hardware.

I'd get back onto the surgeon's secretary to see if you can get some advice and perhaps get that appointment sooner.

Best wishes

Graham

• Posted

A work colleague of mine had the clucking and pain following her hip replacement, after it became impossible for her to work, it was found that she had an infection and had to have a revision. An x-ray would be the best way to allay your concerns.
    • Posted

Now very allarmed! It doesn’t really  feel sore or hot.  But thanks for the heads up 
    • Posted

Hope that is not the case for you. May you find the reason for the clucking soon, and all will be well x
  • Posted

Phew - having seen the physio yesteryday, I thought I would post the outcome for others who may have similar concerns. Week glut muscles and my hip flexers taking too much of the strain. So as one of you said, the flicking of soft tissue over the joint. Now on a mega drive doing exercises to get my bum back! still not been given the go ahead to go back to my beloved salsa dancing though! 20 years of sasla and latin dancing undoubtedy contributed to the dodgy hip, but it was worth it!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.