Codeine for iliostomy output.

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi. Everyone. Think most people are familiar with me. Temporary iliostomy after bowel resection. My problem now( another one) is I have too much output and it's too thin. Ive tried everything( think I posted about it before) ,Immodium food etc. now doc has me on codeine to slow and thicken output.  It's obviously slowing things down but I now have pain back in surgical sites, left, where he did resection, and right , at the iliostomy site after I eat, bad enough that I have to sit down, and that pain had practically gone. Only started again when I started codeine . It passes eventually, but I don't think I could put up with this for another 6 weeks until reversal has this happened to anyone else? I can only guess it's the food passing the surgical site etc . Has anyone had experience with codeine for this? Thanks for any replies . 😀

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I have not but the reason my doctors won't give me pain meds such as codeine is because they say it will constipate me and that would b bad

• Posted

Hi Rhiannon no I don't have a bag but I sure wish I had pain meds for my worst days

• Posted

Hi Rhiannon,

I know we have spoken before. I did not have an ileostomy. Codeine makes sense since it’s constipating. But did they try Benefiber? That helped me a lot. Don’t get discouraged , some days I feel crappy still. It’s been about 10 wks

It’s not easy for sure. I’ve said recovery has been the hard part. Surgery was easy for me but still dealing with occ pain, nausea and diarrhea. But way better than I was !!

Kate

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.