Cognitive behavioral therapy experience?

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have horrible health anxiety and in the biggest hypochondriac.

When I was 8 I did do some therapy and I got over my anxiety for a good while.

My friends have told me to try CBT and in curious if this has helped people over come their health anxiety?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Yes, I was left with horrific health anxiety after a bout of Pleurisy last December. I barely left my flat for 4 months! I've had 12 sessions of CBT and feel much better these days. My good days far outweigh the bad.

You do learn to dissect your feelings and rationalise!

• Posted

Cbt brings about awareness so you learn to understand whats going on. It is excellent. Also mediation is fantastic. Mindfullness breathing is an important tool for anyone with anxiety as well. You are the one that has to apply cbt into your life for it to work. You will be shocked how many times a day you self think kr talk negative and wrrisome thiughts into your head. Its a lot of work and a needed new way to cope. Its basically a journey so be committed and be patient with yourself. Anxiety without a doubt manifest illness eventually so you really want to get it under your control if possible. Diet honestly plays a big role in how you handle stress as well. The body needs to be nurished too. And drink lots of water because dehydration mimics many anxiety symptoms. Its definitly worth your time to learn cbt
  • Posted

I was off work for 5 months with severe anxiety and doing CBT is  what helped me get back to work and stay - 6 months on things are going well.  I have another friend who did cbt a few years ago and she claims it changed her life.

I would highly recommend giving it a go.

• Posted

Absolutely it will help, but you have to do your part and you cant be in a state of extreme panic at the time you begin it. It has to be something you live and breathe during the first solid month to master it. It does not stoo anything from triggering at first, but it really helps you help yourself into completely realizing your mind feeds into the anxiety in a horrible negative way. I used audiobooks and i kept listening to them along with everything else so i was basically brainwashing my mind to be sure to call upon the cbt when triggerswould arise. It isnt one hundred percent fool proof but it will work and help and any help is comforting. Also there are meditations available to help you get it into your brain better.its a mix.
  • Posted

Hiya!

I was given CBT as my anxiety was so bad I couldn't even get out of bed and being out the house sent me into a panic.. I've been on and off with anxiety for as long as I can remember and always causes an issue with my eating! I was really apprehensive about CBT but you need to go into it with an open mind. My therapist gave me things to do between sessions - You need to do what they give you in order to 'help'.. It isn't for everyone but it certainly worked for me! I'm on a 3 month break but I know when I go back I'll be discharged back to my GP. It helps you learn how to think and the cycles in which you do think and ways to turn it round.. Sounds simple and it really is simple but at the start it seems like the hardest task! The more you open up and the harder you work, the more effective it'll be!

Also, don't forget if you do go for it, the therapist you get is there to help you but it doesn't necessarily mean you like the therapist that is assigned to you - you can change and they wouldn't take offence - that was my fear as I didn't want to feel patronised!

Give it a go! It could be the best thing you've ever done! And don't give up as there'll be a little waiting list but as soon as your GP refers you, they'll be in contact within a couple of weeks!

Good luck smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.