Cognitive functioning at an all time low

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi ladies,

Really looking for some reassurance. I have been on here many times, posting and reading posts, and you ladies always help. My brain functioning is at an all-time low. I forget things really, really easily, can barely read a calendar properly, can no longer do basic math, get confused easily, and am always leaving a trail of stuff behind me everywhere I go. I sleep maybe 3-4 hours a night, I'm sure that is contributing to the problem. I'm 50, and have been period-free for 118 days now. Just wondering if this sounds familiar to anyone? I am genuinely starting to worry about my memory and ability to think clearly. It's worrisome. Any helpful feedback from anyone? That would be great!! Thanks so much!

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

The exact same!!! 50 and a mess!!! Just started hrt! "1 week in praying it all improves!!

• Posted

I am 46 and know how you feel! The lack of sleep is definitely a contributor. It actually magnifies all my symptoms. It's probably been this past year where everything has magnified, including the functioning of my brain. I literally couldn't remember the word for the color yellow. It literally took me five minutes to figure it out (thankfully I have a great husband and kids). It was very nerve wracking! I am more forgetful and my focus is horrible. I used to love to read, now it takes me days to read a chapter because I have to reread everything, lol! I have been starting to do things that will try to help (crossword puzzles, doing one thing at a time, doodling, meditation, etc.) I pray it gets better for all of us!

• Posted

I have been doing similar things! My biggest thing is just focusing on one thing at a time, as you mentioned. I hope things improve. My word retrieval also sucks.

• Posted

I'm 50 with heavy periods.. And I feel like a walking 'dunce'. I know I'm not stupid but I absolutely feel it. I get confused easily as well and it takes awhile to figure out what to do. When I'm in a conversation, I just feel behind.. I hope soon, I snap out of whatever it is-- could be brain fog.

• Posted

My brain is definitely foggy. And I get embarrassed and judge myself when I get confused. Hope it ends soon. xo

• Posted

Hi from one Cindy to another. I am 52 and post menopausal of around 4 years. My brain fog is probably at its worst now. like so many of you beautiful ladies I struggle to find the words at times, struggle to connect.

I need to write everything down now at work when someone is giving me a task to do.

All I know is we are not going mad, we are not all developing dementia, it is part of what we are all going through and I am hoping one day the fog will clear again x

• Posted

Hi Cindy!

Thanks for the reassurance! Even when I write stuff down, I mess it up. I have to double check and triple check things. It's hard. I've always been a meticulous person when it comes to my job, but I'm messing up now. I appreciate having you ladies to reassure me that it's hormones. My mind goes to worst possible scenario. Take care!!! xo

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.