Cold Turkey Citalopram Withdraw

Posted , 2 users are following.

I know, should not have done it, but it's done now. Was on Citalopram for 10 years. Seemed to quit working 4 years ago and doc upped dose. That did the trick for 3 years then some stress and trauma may sent me into a panic state 24/7. I was made the meds weren't working and in my state just stopped. That was 8 months ago. I was on 60 mg. Withdraw was hell for 2 months and pretty much hell still. Not as bad, but bad. I have been researching and with some say restatement will make me worse. Has anyone had experience with quitting cold turkey, having long term withdraw symptoms, and then going back on with success? Thanks all.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi there I'm in the same boat as you. Been on citalopram for 7 years started on 20mg then 40mg last year I got down to 10mg to be honest with you they've done nothing for me I've just been taking them for the sake of it! I had my last 10mg Sunday at 2pm so I'm on my 3rd day of not being taking them and my body is aching ( I'm ok if I lay down ) today I'm feeling hot and sweaty and my tummy hurts, felt really sick yesterday and I'm off my foodd, but I'm eating fruit and drinking smoothies and herbal tea, I eat really healthy and I'm active in eat oily fish 3 times a week take magnesium, vitamin D and b vitamin and I drink plenty of water. My doctor said it was ok to go cold turkey! I'm sticking to this cold turkey I've got this far and I'm not giving up, I finally want to get rid of the citalopram, I'm on mirtazipine as well at 7.5mg which will be next after I get over the citalopram cold turkey side effects! I feel ok mentally apart from the other night I had the worst weird night ever! Good luck with going cold turkey x I'm a female and I'm 36 by the way x 😊

• Posted

....also you shouldn't be taking 60mg of citalopram it's dangerous...I would taper down to 10mg then go cold turkey x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.