Cold Turkey. Don't want to go back on ?

Posted , 8 users are following.

I've been on sertraline since about August. Was working great. Felt lot better. But I started accidently missing a few doses. Then gradually kinda just took it once a week then yeah. Haven't for 3 weeks. Ive now had some major withdrawals symptoms. Depression slowly coming back. But I'm scared to take it. Had depression for 7 years. Is it going to take weeks again to start working. Do I have to start a with 25mg then go up. I'm on 150mg so it's been a big difference. I just hate the feel of what it does to me. Now I'm not on it I hate it because it's not me. Do I need to go back to my doctor or is it ok to stay off.

1 like, 7 replies

Report / Delete

7 Replies

• Posted

Kayleigh

You will need to start at a lower dose for a short period of time, the drug itself in small part sounds lie it is still in your system.

Talk to your GP, even if it is through the Reception, they may be able to arrange an GP telephone call and confirm the best way forward.

If you plan to reduce down the dose and come of completely again you need to talk to your Doctor. and explain you feel you do not need the drug, He will advise

BOB

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Well to me it would depend on whether you prefer feeling 'not me'  or you want to feel better!   It's your choice at the end of the day. 

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi kayleigh. If u do want to start back on your sertraline id definately start at a lower dose to build up to the optimum 150 u were on b4 as u may suffer side effects after missing a few weeks even tho sum sertraline prob still in yr system. Id recommend going back to yr dr as u said yr suffering withdrawal symptoms. As hypercat said tho thats providing yr wanting to recommence. Let us know wat u decide. Take care xx
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Kayleigh - when you say you hate the feel of what it does, what do you mean? Does it make you feel numb for example?

If you feel you are doing alright overall and can deal with the depression coming back by other means then I would say stay off however I would say definitely speak to your doctor anyway to keep him/her in the loop so to speak.

Jules

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi kayleigh - you said you initially took the drug and in was working and you felt better. Then you started missing doses, then took it once a week, then not for three weeks. Stopping the dosage when one is feeling better is a common mistake. You must keep the dosage up to reap the benefits. Also, you should consult your doc before you stop the meds or alter the dosage. It can be dangerous to stop and start these sorts of meds.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I agree with waynes comment kayleigh. Let us know how u get on. Xx
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Go to your doctor and explain what you have here. If you have depression meds are important to help balance the hormones in the brain to keep you feeling better. 

There re may be another anti depressant that would be more helpful. I have been on AD for years for a hormone disorder in the brain I produce to much adrenaline. 

AD changes can be necessary occasionally. Give it a try mabe you will feel positive and help gringo brighter days into every day and better sleep. 

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up