Colon and Bowel disorders

Posted , 3 users are following.

as a longtime suffer with DD Iv just read a article in today's Daily Mirror

Mon 24th July 17

it explains the Food Map diet we hear so much about but didn't know what it means.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Kieren - think you mean FODMAP (Fermentable, Oligo-, Di-, Mono-saccharides and Polyols) ? Its normally pushed as being a good idea for IBS/IBD sufferers - it is at least very specific so, for example fruits high in fructrose are off limits. The map over to DD specific trigger doesnt seem obvious, though of course there are people who do have both conditions.

For DD there is alot of useful chat on DIVI DINERS forum

Best 

James

• Posted

James

I've been on this DD site for a good few years so I know a lot about what goes on here

Kieran

• Posted

Ah cool Kieren. I actually followed the Fodmap diet pretty closely for a number of months when I thought I had IBD ... in Fodmap, peanuts are fine but, say, cashews are bad? It turns out peanuts are a major trigger for me, so as a diet I dont bother with it anymore but apparently for IBS/IBD it can really help. 
    • Posted

I know any sort of nuts,onions, tomatoes,strawberrys in fact any sort of berries will start my DD flare up.

Even Bannanas I have to slice down the middle and remove the small black seeds.

Potatoes have to be peeled first.

Jams have to be the seedless ones.

Jackie who I believe started this forum many moons ago hit on a great help for DD suffers Probitics which I take one a day

I use the 20 Billion type but you can get various strengths

• Posted

Hello, I've been following the fodmap diet advised by a dietician for three weeks now. 

Having suffered LHS abdominal pain every day for three months I have for the last week been symptom free. I feel this is likely to be due to the diet, although I was initially sceptical.

It is a bit restrictive but probably worth trying for DD sufferers.

• Posted

Hello ness

As a DD suffer for a number of years I'm like my fellow suffers will try anything to ease the suffering including the FodMap diet.

Like lots of food we eat we don't know until we try it or read about it on this forum

Kieran

• Posted

Hi Kieran, you've absconded.!!!! 

Looks as though someone is trying to send us down the "FRIGHT ROAD ""

I really don''t think we should be given one specific diet,, like a one size fits all.

I feel that jumping on the wagon springs to mind,, because WE the D,D  gang are on the whole, doing very well on our own,, as we were left to get on with it,,and we did,   together. I eat bananas,, never knew there were any seeds in them ,,lets face it they are small enough to go through the eye of a needle, hardly demons.

We don't want a diet inflicted on us,,, we all just need to eat SMALL meals ,take 

Acidophilus and try to be happy.

Jacqueline

• Posted

Hello Jacki

iv been well lately.

i still read the forum just in case a miracle besides your Acidophilus turns up.

lately Iv been a by worried about some of the advice given here considering we have been to hell and back so have a very good idea where we're going.

The bananas Iv learned that they do effect me if I don't de seed them

as you know some food effects one but not the other

Kieran

• Posted

Hi ,,why aren't you on the Diners forum, you shouldn't be here on your lonesome  ,Thing is ,did you used to eat bananas before, someone said they were bad for you ???? Which forum is giving out bad advice ???? Probably NOT advice,,just a personal opinion.. Come back home 

Jacqueline   xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.