Colonoscopy

Posted , 9 users are following.

I'm going for a colonoscopy soon. As it's already been established through a CT scan that I have DD, I'm wondering what the purpose is - is it just to establish the severity of it, must admit I'm not looking forward to it. Any advice greatly appreciated, thank you.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi, they will want to check the severity of the diviticular disease and also check for any inflammation or polyps/cysts. I had a sigmoidoscopy instead of a colonoscopy (checking of the colon rather than all of the bowel). It was painful I'm not going to lie but it's the only way they can see the whole picture. Ask for sedation/gas and air x

• Posted

That's probably the reason. The prep the night before a colonoscopy isn't pleasant   But if you have sedation and gas and air the colonoscopy isn't that bad. Good luck 

• Posted

Hi Wendy

Going through the exact same thing, mine is 2 weeks.

I had a perforated one so have had a rather emotional time with it all, 5 weeks down and I'm still unwell.

I'm struggling to see why I'm having the camera except maybe they look at the severity.

Anyway I wish you luck, I'm told it's not that bad.

Liz

• Posted

It’s usually done to make sure infection has gone away, no narrowing, no cancer. The colonoscopy is not a problem , the prep isn’t fun but doable. 

Hopefully you will never have another attack!

• Posted

Hi, I had my first colonoscopy back in December due to Diverticulitis. There were a few reasons why they wanted me to have this done. The first was to rule out anything else that may be going on, then to check the severity of my issue and of course remove any polyps etc. The worse part of all of it was the prep and that wasn’t even that bad for me. Drinking the second half of the solution was a little hard to get down, but as for going to the bathroom, it wasn’t bad at all. As for the actual day of the colonoscopy, it was a cakewalk. They gave me some stuff to relax me, wheeled me back and put me out. The next thing I knew was that I was awake and wondering if they actually performed the procedure, which my wife assured me that they did. I felt no pain afterward or had all the gas that some people say they had. The Dr. went over everything with me and provided me pictures of my colon. You will be finesmile
  • Posted

If offered the choice of pain relief and sedative, or gas and air, go for the former and you should not have too much trouble. After the procedure treat your digestive system gently with easy to digest foods. I have had 2 colonoscopies and both times I have had a painful gut for some time afterwards. I am due a recall next year and will be more careful afterwards next time.

The colon cleanse before is unpleasant but not painful. Good luck.

• Posted

DD in2015 with CT scan, 4 flare ups since then. Had my first scope two weeks ago and believe me I will never have another one! I went though hell after my scope. GI doctor found no cancer, polyps, zero nothing except the Divertilious in the lower colon. Less than 24 hours I had a big time flare up due to the severity of the prep and scope itself. The GI actually admitted this! Put on meds for seven days. Doing real good now. The prep and the scope itself irritated my colon so much that it though me into a flare up. I will never have another because it is a money racket business for GI,s!  I've have 6 Ct scans with contrast and each one showed DD, uncomplicated! But to ease my mind I decided to have this colonoscopy done! In my opinion if cancer runs in your family, then have it done or if you have complicated conditions then have one done. The prep, scope, gas and air will irritate the colon!! So beware.... I hope yours will turn out good. My doctor is great and I didn't know nothing until after the process was over with but I'm just saying check and learn the pro and cons before you decide... God Bless!

• Posted

The prep is the worst part of the colonoscopy which is the night before; take the gas and sedative when offered and you will be fine!  

Stock up on lemonade and really soft toilet paper, it's not as bad as everyone thinks.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.