Colonoscopy anyone?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have to get a colonoscopy in a couple weeks and I am very nervous about it.  Like any medical test I am afraid of results but also the prep and procedure.  Anyone have any experiences they can share to help ease my mind?

2 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Don't worry i went for colonocopy last week i asked them to give me some anesthesia i felt only light dizzy for 10 minutes and it went ok with no pain at all.

Prep start day before you colonscopy and stay near the toilet and dont eat any sold food drink a lot of water as well you will be ok.

• Posted

So the dizzy part wasnt stressful to you at all?  I am kind of worried about the sedation.  
  • Posted

Hi. I had one done last year and braved it without pain relief. If I had to do it again I would get pain relief. There is nothing to worry about honestly. If you don't get pain relief it is a bit sore while the go around your intestine. My results weRe all clear and the pain I was getting was through worry and anxiety..

Good luck sweetie and it will be over before you know it. X

• Posted

Yes

I have one every so often because of my medications.

Do not worry about it. They will offer you sedation I normally take that option it is easier when you are relaxed and sedated. It takes about no more then 20/30mins, they will give an injection in the back of your hand and away you go, it is the best snooze in the NHS. However you will need to rest for about an hour after the treatment. Some people seem to have the test done without sedation it will be your decision.

They pass a camera tube up your botton and take photographs that you can see sometimes on a television screen next to your head.

The results can be virtually instantainous, your GP will be informed on results.

If they find something they can operate at the same time as the test so any problems are sorted there and then

• Posted

I have never had sedation before, it was a good experience?  Of course I worry about negative reactions to that as well...Is there anything I can just NOT worry about?? biggrin

• Posted

The worse part of the test happens about a day before the test.

you to stop eating and take these laxitive powders that really clean you out so the camera can see your colon clearly You are only allowd clear fluids like water and black tea.

The laxative tastes lemons so thats ok. It is the runs  to the smallest room is the problem

One good thing about it is it cleans you out and you loose weight

Enjoy Lol

• Posted

See in this situation i dread the prep part.
    • Posted

I do too to some extent, but I also like a good clean out now and then so I have mixed feelings about it lol.  I am sure it will get quite old, but I planon having my ipad geared up to catch up on some TV episodes I have been wanting to watch.
  • Posted

Don't worry my partner had it done and they give you local anaesthetic and it went well. Prep starts the day before and you might feel a little weak afterwards mainly because you haven't eaten. Hope it goes well.

• Posted

Just as an update... I had this done and everything is fine.  The entire procedure was annoying at best but not at all painful or scary.  Just wanted to post an update becuase I was so very scared and stressed out, in case anyone else is every feeling the same about this test.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.