Colonoscopy tomorrow! IBS-D.

Posted , 3 users are following.

It's now been 2 years since all my issues had started.

Last Christmas, my Gastro doctor said I'll more than likely be diagnosed as IBS-D. Has anyone else been diagnosed this? It is absolutely awful. Can anyone give some insight how to just make things a bit better?

I can no longer work, go out and have to be close to a toilet at all times. Pretty much house bound really! I've been in counselling which ended as could no longer make it to the appointments due to the ibs. My last resort is to get a colostomy bag fitted, anyone had one fitted due to IBS-D?

I'm booked in tomorrow for a full colonoscopy (saying goodbye to the last of my didnity! Haha) after the looking into my bowel didn't show anything but continuously being in severe pain and constant toilet breaks they have decided to look at everything. This time being sedated. I envy those of you who can do it without any pain relief!!

My first time was nothing bad at all. The second time, well let's just say I may have passed out.... Haha.

Done the first picolax solution and still haven't been after an hour and a half.. Anyone know how long this is supposed to take to start working?

Anything on IBS-D would be a great help as I don't know anyone with this one.

Thanks in advance!! smile

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I was diagnosed with IBS some 20yrs ago and basically just suffered. The gastro ppl just said I had dysfunctional bowel. Last August I got so fed up of my restricted diet, which basically consists of gluten free pasta boiled rice and ham/turkey sandwiches that I begged to go back to the hospital. I love been thoroughly tested and I have inflammation in my small bowel, I'm lactose glucose and fructose intolerant and have SIBO. I had a small bowel meal and colonoscopy but they still can't find the inflammation. Next week I have a white cell scan. I would say to push for all the tests. I've now been told I more likely have Crohns than IBS-D. Re the prep, it will work and you will know when it does! Good luck x
  • Posted

Hi - no real help here, I tend to be more C than D (but can be both). Just HUGS to you and I hope you find help, soon! 

My prep took three hours to kick-in...to the minute. You may be...cleaner...than I was to begin with due to your D.  It was a different kit, but I guess they're all basically the same...

Good luck!

• Posted

Mine was a different kit, I had to mix 2 powders and drink a litre of something lemon flavoured. Vile. It took 40 mins to work, took 5hrs to finish working and I had to do it all again the next morning. Things we do!
    • Posted

Oh my god that's the one I had last time and couldn't physically drink it without bringing it back up! Horrible stuff isn't it!? sad

Kudos to you for managing and then doing it again!

The things we do indeed! One day we'll be good! smile

• Posted

3 hours?! Oh wow!

Yeah it started an hour and a half later and then was non stop. Have to say though, you have to giggle at the amount coming out! Haha.

When reading stuff about both C and D you just don't know which one is worse do you rolleyes

Thank you! And wishing you all the luck too! smile

• Posted

I couldn't even swallow it in the end, I was heaving. I had a 2pm appointment so had to drink the 2nd litre at 6am. It was awful, truly. The colonoscopy wasn't so bad, except they gave me to much sedation and pain meds and it took me 3 days to feel right! Now I can't stand the smell of lemon flavoured floor cleaner washing up liquid or floor wipes as they smell the same as that stuff tasted lol
    • Posted

Yes! That's what it smells like! I was saying to my mam that it reminded me of something and couldn't think what.. It's the floor wipes! Haha.

That sounds really bad though sad you'd think they'd be able to give us a tablet and BAM empty. Haha.

So the sedation is okay? Apart from those extra days.. The last one got so unbearable i passed out lol so thought it would be a good idea for this one to get it.

• Posted

Haha. Yes the sedation was fine, I still had some pretty bad pain as they fill u full of gas, so expect some discomfort. It'd over and done with pretty quickly tho and not as embarrassing as I thought. The nurse weighed me and said she needed to tell them to give me a lower dose, clearly she forgot and I spent a while in cuckoo land! Hope all goes well x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.