Coming off amitriptyline, PLEASE HELP :(

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have been taking amitriptyline 50mg a night for a month to sleep. I read about the withdrawal HORROR stories, and I want out early before its too late. Would stopping it cold turkey at such a small dose and a short period cause any withdrawal.

I am afraid ill get anxiety, panic attacks, terroriezed feelings, agitation, etc.

Will I experience any of these?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

If you have these fears about taking that medication and desire to stop it then you NEED totalk to your doctor about it. When it comes to medication that treat mental / health issues its always the best choice to talk to your doctor before making a rash choice like going cold turkey on a medication.
  • Posted

I wouldn't advise cold turkey. Even a month is long enough to form a dependency and i would probably expect withdrawal symptoms.

I would talk to your doctor ans discuss tapering off. Maybe take half the dose for a few nights, then evey other night etc?

• Posted

Speak to your GP concerning your fears.

Feeling afraid of withdrawal symptoms will ignite them. The mind is very open to suggestion.

With your GP's guidance there is no reason to assume you will have dreadful withdrawal symptoms. Gently easing you off the med shouldn't raise any problems

The main problem is your fear you might suffer as a consequence of stopping your meds. You must deal with that

. A positive attitude will calm you down, assure yourself your GP knows what he is doing, that he will not let you suffer when tapeing off the meds

You'll be okay

• Posted

First you need to talk to your GP He will discuss a program to withdraw from this medication. The tablet size in gms is small and the drug comes in tens and 25mg so it can be withdrawn from in small bites. The medication in some places is or can be problematic that is why I say talk to your GP

Good Luck

BOB

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.