Coming off cit

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all I'm coming off cit have been on 2o for 11weeks what would be the best way to tamper down please

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I came off 20mg and did it really slowly. I cut down to 15mg for two weeks, then 10mg for two, 5mg and then cut the 5mg down to every other day, and then two days I between. I had absolutely no side effects doing it this way. Good luck
    • Posted

Thank you how are you feeling from coming off it?I have delt with everything I need to so I'm coming off it so I can have my life back and my feelings insteed of feeling like a zombie
  • Posted

I went from 2o to 10 for 2 weeks then stopped
    • Posted

Does anyone have chronic debilitating anxiety and found anything that helps that?
    • Posted

Did your doctor advise you to do that?how are you feeling
    • Posted

I have chronic anxiety everyday that makes it impossible to function.
    • Posted

My doc said I could come off or stay on it it was not helping with the anxiety at all so why be on it?
    • Posted

Fairenough then I don't have anziety so I can't help you sorry hun
  • Posted

Has your doctor recommended this, or are you under the supervision of a health care professional? I do not recommend coming off without the care of a professional.

However, out of the many AD out there, Citalopram has one of the more forgiving discontinuation schedules.  The only thing I can find in professional literature is:

"Do not suddenly stop taking citalopram without checking with your doctor first. Your doctor may want you to gradually reduce the amount you are using before stopping it completely. This will decrease the chance of having withdrawal symptoms such as agitation, breathing problems, chest pain, confusion, diarrhea, dizziness or lightheadedness, fast heartbeat, headache, increased sweating, muscle pain, nausea, restlessness, runny nose, trouble in sleeping, trembling or shaking, unusual tiredness or weakness, vision changes, or vomiting."

If you have 10mg tablets, I would recommend taking 10mg for 2 weeks, and if tolerated well, taking 5 for the following 2 weeks.  At any point in time, if withdrawal side effects become too severe, you can "step up" the dosing again to help them subside.  You can taper even more slowly than this, but roughly 2 weeks inbetween dose adjustments should be sufficient to reduce side effects.

• Posted

Im under mental health and my councler told me to come off it to.I do alot of exercise and never feel any better after it so why bother taking a pill that's not helping its just holding me back from me getting on with life.there only a bandaid and block things out
    • Posted

Awesome!  Glad to hear you are doing well and don't need any medication.  Best regards to you.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.