coming off citalipram

Posted , 13 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

i have been off citalopram for 6 months now and still suffereing side effects has this happened to anybody else

2 likes, 114 replies

114 Replies

Next
  • Posted

It does happen.  Depends how quick you withdrew from them.  The first time I came off these I had withdrawl for many months, and the second time I came off I spent a year doing it and withdrew by 5mg at a time and had no withdrawl at all.

The effects will wear off in time.  It did for me the first time.

• Posted

thanks for yoyr reply i was weaned of over a 3 month period through my doctor go back tomorrow to see her fed up
    • Posted

Its still to quick to come off meds if you want to avoid withdrawal.  These meds take a long time to work and so it'll happen the other way too.  Coming off slowly and with minimal decreasing doses not only avoids withdrawal but isn't a shock to your body which stops the symptoms from reapparing.

If you're seeing your doctor you could either reinstate a small amount of Citalopram ie 5mg going up to 10mg after a month, staying on it and then withdrawl properly, or continue as you are because the withdrawal effects will cease eventually.

Let us know how you get on with your doc.

K x

• Posted

its a numbing drug and one of the worse SSRIs on the market, I put on 2 stone! And was glad to get off it.
    • Posted

Everyone reacts differently to each SSRI ..... each one tailored to suit different people.  Personally I had no problems on it and never gained any weight .... yet do know some struggle neutral

• Posted

went to docs today i am still suggering withdrawal symptoms dont know how long they will last getting blood test onthursday though for different things just in case
    • Posted

So he didn't suggest reinstating a small amount? Yes I remember the brain zaps and dizziness the first time I withdrew - I found when I was tired it felt worse.

Have they eased in all the time you've been off the meds?

• Posted

my doctor wouldnt put me back on them as they made me ill was only on them qbout 3 months it hasnt eased my balance is awful and the brain zaps and tierdness are the worst  hopefully not much longer say that everyday its what keeps me going
    • Posted

Ah I see ..... 

I wonder if you can take 5-HTP which is a herbal over the counter tablet.  It acts the same as an SSRI but doesn't have any side effects at all, can be started / stopped anytime.  I've taken them since I've been off meds.  You can't take with prescribed SSRI's.  Just wondered if it would help ease the symptoms you're going through.  Though you can buy them from any health shop it probably best ask the doctor though .... you've been off SSRI's long enough though so should be fine.

• Posted

one of the blood tests i am getting is checking my vitamin d3 count dont know what else never asked will wait till i get these results b ack and take it from ther i am just so scared to take anything else
    • Posted

I take Vitamin D3 all the time as I don't go in the sun much.  A friend of mine was having problems with aches / pains / tiredness and her blood test came back with low Vit D3 levels ..... an important Vitamin wink

Oooh you've been feeling better today?  That's great!!!  Sounds like the start biggrin

• Posted

that is the reason i am getting checked for that i asked the nurse what else i was getting checked full mot, liver kidneys thyroid cant remember everything else fingers crossed at least i am starting to feel better with less side effects from coming of ditaloprm thank god xx
    • Posted

hi 

just a thought, seeing as u take d3, i just had the results of a bone scan,have the start of osteoparithis, one of the questions was have i ever taken anti depressants. Just be aware, i am shocked as i did not believe 

the results would be positive.

• Posted

Ooh sorry to hear that Icehan. That's interesting - so do you mean anti depressants or D3 play a role in oseteoarthritis? I do have general wear and tear in my thumbs and hip as had a bone scan some years ago following a kidney stone which led to having one parathyroid removed as was diseased (one thing followed after the other) 😳

K x

• Posted

When is the full MOT happening?  

Glad you're beginning to feel better - those side effects do hang around a bit don't they.

• Posted

Let us know the outcome wink

I had a free NHS check some weeks ago and my cholesterol and blood pressure were excellent ..... though since I was last measured 30 years ago, I'm now 2 stone heavier plus I'm 1 1/2 inches shorter!!!  Booooo eek

• Posted

It is tiring following a bad time.  Hopefully your better day will turn into a few more days.

K x

• Posted

doctor phoned me today dont have any vitamin din my body start medication tomorrow
    • Posted

i think vitamin d pick up prescription this morning i know i will be on the highest dose for 2 weeks then drop by half then get more blood tests got to watch the levels going into my body as too much can be just as bad as too little, dont even know how long my levels will take to go up when my doctored phoned me i was hust so glad that there was nothing else wrong was worrying myself sick at least i know why my seritonin levels are low as well x
    • Posted

Yes worrying about other things that may be wrong with you is not good for you mentally or physically. Just keep thinking positive and it will be fine. Hang in there Rangers. Better days ahead.
    • Posted

i know john had a really sh*tty day but started 20,000cui vitamin d3 today stay on that for 15 days then drop to 800cui for 2 months get blood test in between x
    • Posted

I also had a crappy day Rangers. Just so sick of feeling this way. Got up this morning and took my dog for a walk hoping I would feel better but nope. Still feel the same. Spoke to a pharmacist yesterday and she said all this Cit should be out of my system now. but she couldnt tell me much about my seratonin levels. I have a Dr's appointment on 2 may so I'm def gonna speak with her about this. I'm eating right, exercising everyday and its been six weeks since my last dose. I should be feeling better by now. Enjoy your day.

• Posted

ask to get a vitamin d3 blood test done they cant refuse you have nothing to loose john you may be lacking as well like me  on my third day of vitamins dont know how long my levels will take to go back up though phoning doctor tomorrrow for answers
    • Posted

Going for a complete physical on Jun 6th Rangers. I already know my blood iron is a bit low. Trying to get that up too. Getting old sux. Lol. I take 3000 iu's of vit D3 daily so I dont think thats my problem. But who knows. If someone wud have told me I wud feel this crappy at 60 yrs if age U wud have said they were nuts. Feeling a bit better this aft but still not where I want to be. Being low on iron is not good either. We'll see what she has to say next week though!!!!!! Enjoy your day!!!!

• Posted

Ah ha ..... its surprising how many people are short of this.  I expect it'll be Vit D3 as that's the 'sunshine' vitamin.  Sometimes people buy Vit D over the counter and make the mistake of just taking D and not D3.

Also just 10 mins in the sun each day on any part of your skin will provide you with enough D3 (doesn't even have to be sunny).

K x

• Posted

did you know vitamind3 is actuallya hormone tablet can cause loads of problems to your body and mind thats me on day 4   of 20,000ui i know it will take time on that dosage for 15 days then drop to 800ui for 2 months get a blood test done in  between doctor will phone and let me know hers hoping it solves all my health issues lol xxx
    • Posted

True yes, and so is Vit A.  Lack of Vit D3 causes untold problems ..... including depression, tiredness, aches & pains etc and some people don't realise they're deficient in it, and just put the symptoms down to part of like or ageing.  

Hope you feel the benefits soon.

K x

• Posted

Does anyone know how much vit D-3 an adult is supposed to take daily if you take vitamins? Websites vary on this subject.
    • Posted

Thanks for years i have suffered and my doctored never mentioned anything about vitamin d this all started 15 years ago when i started going through the menopause i was only 38 that was the first words i said to the doctor 3 weeks ago when i asked to get my vitamind levels checked going back to doctors in 2 weeks i want some answers on why i wasnt checked earlier i am so angry xxx
    • Posted

john you would have to get a blood test done to see what level your vitamin dyou have in your body an adult should be between 50 and 75 i was only 8 thats why i am on a high dosage for 15 days then a lower dosage for 2 weeks will be getting blood checked in 2 months to check levels again its worth getting it done good luck
    • Posted

will keep you posted on how i am feeling when my levels start to go up
    • Posted

Wow that's early - 38 eek  Yes I wish we all had an 'MOT' every 10 years - full bloods, scans etc.  Probably too costly though.

I bought a good book some years ago by Jeff T Bowles called Vitamin D3 Miracle whereby he did an experiment of taking extremely high doses of D3 (not recommended of course) ..... but what he writes is interesting.  Kindle edition is only £2.39 on Amazon.

• Posted

I take it you live in america or some country that you pay for health care i stay in scotland where its free i know too much vitamin d3 is just as bad as too little will look into the book though thanks x
    • Posted

No, I'm in the UK .... so free NHS biggrin   Scotland is lovely - been to Edinburgh and fell in love with it there.

K x

• Posted

RangersI'm going for ine on the 6th of Jun and will surely ask to have it checked then. Thanks. Enjoy yer day

• Posted

I had a NHS health check some weeks ago - not a full one.  But yes .... if I don't ask, I don't get wink

• Posted

Mmmm ..... interesting wink

I've now just ordered some more with a higher strength. biggrin

• Posted

I have been taking it for some time now. I also take fish oil in the morning. Doesnt seem to do anything for me though. I just dont understand why I'm not feeling better at this stage of my recovery. Its been since the 12th of mar since I took my last dose of Cit. I will bring it up with my Dr ealy next week when I see her!!!! Have a great day Miss Kate

• Posted

Yes I take fish oil too ...... I've been veggie since I was very small so I get my fish benefits that way wink

I still think you'd do well to try 5-HTP (I know your doc said otherwise) ..... its bought in a shop alongside vitamins, or online.  Some people have low levels of serotonin which cause depression and a host of other symptoms.  I know I need something, so that's why I take 5-HTP.

I know your doctor wasn't keen, but its not a prescription meds.

Many years ago a new doctor in our practice asked 'wasn't it was about time I came off Citalopram' ...... I told him no, and had he read my notes as he'd only just met me.  Nope ...... he had a quick read and said 'ah yes, I see'.  Doctors can advise - and its up to you at the endof the day.

K x

• Posted

I am gonna go check that out tomorrow. Do you know how long it takes for it to take effect????
    • Posted

Hi Miss Kate. I am def going to get some 5-HTP tomorrow. My sister in law works at a health food store and I explained to her how I was feeling and she gave me the low down on this stuff. I was not sure how to tell her how I was feeling but decided to just come out and tell her. She really knows her supplements and has taken many courses on them. Sure hope it helps. Thinking positive. And thank you for your help also.
    • Posted

5-HTP works within about 2 weeks - there should also be no side effects like you get from SSRI's.  You can stop them abruptly too with no withdrawal either.  

I've taken these successfully since last August, and I took them before when I'd had a break from SSRI's too (again successfully).

Fingers crossed for you.

K x

• Posted

Good morning Miss K. Just purchased some 5-HTP at the health food store. Was telling the lady there about my nightmares on AD's. She said she's heard so many similar stories. I wonder if theDr's just go on the salesmppl's advice. That would sure make sense as to why they know so little about what they are prescribing. Now I have to make a schedule for myself as to when to rake this stuff. Enjoy your day

• Posted

Oooh am excited for you now trying out the 5-HTP biggrin  Yes, I wonder how the drugs companies / doctors work, and have read that physicians are the most important audience to pharmacuetical sales.  Trouble is, GP's are just that - General Practicioners - jack of all trades / master of none.  I think some have special interests in certain fields and its good if you find one that is interested in mental health.

I take mine in the morning.  Needed after a meal.  My stupid brain thinks I'll get a good full day's benefit from them rather than taking at night and sleeping through the first few hours.  They work whenever you take them.

K x

• Posted

Hi Miss K. Took 2 at 11 this am. Felt kind of spacy but it could be my anticipating the new stuff going in my body also. My directions say to take it 3 times a day on an empty stomach. I plan on only taking it twice a day. Once in the morning and in the evening for now. My pills are 100 mg tablets. The reason for only 2 pills a day is because I exercise daily. Hopefully it works and the lady at the food store told me not to stay on it too long as it loses its zip after an extended period of time. My fingers are crossed now. Lol. Enjoy your evening!!!!
    • Posted

Mmm .... yes the spacey feeling could be anticipation maybe?  100mg x 3 (300mg) seems high.  I've 2 different bottles - one is 50mg and I take 2 a day and the other bottle is 200mg at 1 a day.  Not sure I'd take 300mg ........ I once mistakingly took 2 of my 200mg's and couldn't understand why I felt 'ansty' and on edge all day oops.

Yes it does lose its zip but the way to combat that is that also take l-tyrosine along with it which enhances it.  Its called a Catecholamine Precursor.  I've taken both now for  8 months and before when I was on it I took i for over a year.

Which country are you in .... just wondering re the doseage on your bottle.

K x

• Posted

Good morning Miss Kate. I'm in Canada. Just woke up and had a crappy sleep. Only gonna take 200 mg's today. Just took one and will take a second after dinner this evening. Dont really like the fact that I cant eat for two hrs but if thats gonna get me over the hump well I can do that. After all I just wnat to get better. Have urself a great day!!!!!

• Posted

Ah - thought you were that way somewhere ... States or Canada.  I'm in the UK.  Bloomin cold here too!!!!

Really hope these help you - its worth trying though, and you can always stop anytime ..... but do give them a couple of weeks first.

You know I've never noticed my 5-HTP said take before a meal ..... I always take with or without and they seem fine for me.

Hope your day gets better.

K x

• Posted

Hello again. Pretty chilly here also. The lady at the HFS told me about taking my dose this way. I will check with my sister in law to see if this is right. My head is buzzing a bit more right now but I was expecting that. I will use up this bottle and see where I am after that. Need to get over that hump
    • Posted

Our weather was warming up and suddenly its turned really cold ...... so a shock to the system.

Oh you're probably right taking the meds a few hours before eating.  Bit uncomfortable having to wait for food though wink  Its also best to take l-tyrosine with it too.

K x

• Posted

What does ITyrosine do Miss Kate? The lady at the store didnt mention it. I know you probably told me b4 but my short term memory is kind of bad lately!!! Hope this Htp starts kicking in soon as I dont feel well at all!!! Enjoy yer day
    • Posted

A bit long, but in a nutshell:

In the excellent book I have on 5-HTP it says that 'despite the good results treating people with 5-HTP, it was noticed a pattern in that 1 in 5 people being treated showed a decreaft after a or so of treatment as the 5-HTP wore off.  Researchers found that though the levels of seortonin had risen and stayed high, the levels of othe important monamine neurotransmitters Dopamine and Norepinphrome (classed as Catecholamines) had declined.  It was found giving patients l-tyrosine restored the effects of 5-HTP.'

No, I doubt the lady at the store would have mentioned it - its probably not widely known unless having read this book.

Mmmm - do you think its the 5-HTP making you feel unwell???  I'd be surprised if it were.  Yep fingers crossed it kicks in soon.

K x

• Posted

Hi Miss Kate. Hopefully its not the HTP thats making me feel this way. Fingers crossed on that one. I'm gonna continue on it for awhile and see where it takes me. Tomorrow is another day and hopefully be a better one. Hope you had a great day.

• Posted

Yes, probably is just 'whatever' has been building up.  I know if I don't take something / anything, then I'll begin to notice I'm not right.

K x

• Posted

Well was I wrong. I can take this 5HTP with or without food. Its prescription meds that you must wait two hrs on either side before you take this. Thats very good. Short term memory issue again. Lol. The sun is shining, i feel a bit better so i'm going to take my dog for a good long walk. Enjoy your day

• Posted

Hi,for how long have you been taking it when you withrew? And what type of issue did u take it for? I have extreme social anxiety and even though I have tried withdrawing slowly I still experience my anxiety coming back.so I keep going back on them....and it is so hard because I am afraid those pills will harm my health in time but at the same time I can't cope at all without them....and even on them I can't cope properly....

• Posted

Lol cheesygrin

Well - glad you feel a bit better - maybe they're starting to work already???

• Posted

Hi Jhoanna

I took the meds for 16 years the first time before I came off, but decided to restart again after a year off due to the stress of family illness.  I stayed on them for another year then came off last year - spending a year withdrawing this time.

Initially I took them for anxiety, depression and intrusive thoughts.

Some people take all sort of meds for life - diabetes, epilepsy, heart, blood pressure - so taking these meds are no different.  If you need them, then stay on them.  I never intended coming off, but curiosity got the better of me as wondered how I'd be.  During the 16 years on meds I'd reduced from 20mg to 10mg for a maintenance for years, and finally reduced to 5mg for the last few years before stopping.

Since I've been off meds (last August) I now take 5-HTP.  So though I'm off prescription meds, I do need something.

How long have you been on meds?  How have you tried coming off meds?  I did it by reducing from 5mg each time and stayed on each reduction for about 1-2 months.  The last 5mg I further crushed and took 2.5mg and lastly 1.25mg then stopped.  I didn't have any withdrawal doing it that way.

But if the meds help you, then why not stay on them?  I would.  Maybe you can reduce a tiny bit and if you feel well still continue on the lower dose?

Always reduce etc with your doctors help though.

K x

• Posted

Hi Miss Kate. I do believe they are starting to work. I do feel better. Fingers crossed. Lol. Enjoy your evening.
    • Posted

That's brilliant!! cheesygrin  So glad to hear that.

Its 1.30am and just off to bed (bit of a late night) oops.

• Posted

Wow. Late night for you. Having a bit of an off day today. But thats ok. I know feeling better is a matter of time. Nice and sunny here today. Yahoo. Summer is not far away. Hope you had a great day.
    • Posted

Yes I'm a bit of a night person, but do have to watch it as too many late nights and it starts to affect me.  Was a long lay in today as its Sunday!!!  Yes there'll still be low days I expect whilst you settle on the 5-HTP ...... again, time is a healer xx.

Sunny here too today, but a cool wind.  Very Spring-like today.  Off to the dance studio for a few hours and a workout now.  

K x

• Posted

Good morning Miss zk. I'm not much of a nite person. I used to be until this depression crap started to affect my everyday life. I have been doing a lot of reading on diff sites regarding 5-HTP and no one mentions how long a person should stay on it. Some sites do mention that it does lose its zip after awhile though. I'm gonna stay on the 2 x 100 mg plan everyday. One in the am and one after dinner. We'll see where that takes me. Gonna reduce that to 50 mg's eventually. Hope its all positive in the long run!!!! Hope ur having a great day.

• Posted

Maybe you were thinking of a night person and sleep .... zzzzzzzzzzzz biggrin

There also seems to be conflicting reports on 5-HTP too.  I have a wonderful book on 5-HTP, written by a man who studied this.  He goes into depth about how it works in the brain as well as prescribed meds.  He also talks about why you need to take l-tyrosine along with 5-HTP too.

Very interesting book.  I can send you the link if you want.

K x

• Posted

That would be great Miss K. Just got up from the worst sleep of my life. My eyes are all swollen. Dont know whats going on. But I have a Dr' app't this aft and I will bring up all this stuff with her. Have a great day.

• Posted

Ok will message you withit.

Mmmmm maybe your eyes are suffering if you've not had a good sleep???  Could be totally unrelated of course but yes check it out with the doctor.

By the way ... am I the only one on here that finds adverts keep popping up and I lost my post?  Even clicking from the email I go to a post, then the screen scrolls and I lose it.

• Posted

I dont know why this happens to my eyes but its sure a bummer. When I lack sleep like that it ruins my whole next day. I have decided to cut my dosage of 5H in half. I've been on it for 5 days now and I read on a site that u should work your way up to a normal dose. So instead of 100 mg pill in the morn and again at nite I have decided to use a pill cutter and half it. Also read that you should not take Omega-3 oil to close to when you have taken your 5H. Reaching for a comfortable solution here. So dang sick of feeling sick I guess!!!

• Posted

When I miss don't get a good nights sleep I'm just heady and tetchy all the next day.  Yea be careful taking too much as can cause agitation, racing heart etc.  

How did the doctors appointment go?

• Posted

Hi Miss Kate. Well no more 5H for me and nore 81mg aspirin either. She has put me back on a low dose of Effexor. Guess I wasnt doing too well physically also. I have low iron in my blood!!!! Going for a B-12 blood test tomorrow. Wow. Hope your having a great day.
    • Posted

Hi John

Oh gosh really?  I am sorry you're returning to the meds because you spent a great deal of time and effort coming off them and know you wanted to be free of them.  Oh the other hand, its maye wise in returning to them if you're struggling a little, and before it takes a hold.  The 5-HTP can always be kept for that time when you decide to come off again one day.

Do you need to take iron tablets now?

K x

• Posted

Good morning Miss Kate. Yes it is a bummer that I have to go on them but it will be a low dose. Now that I have a much better understanding of how all this works, i'm not afraid to go back on them. This has been a 2 year struggle for me but I sure did learn a lot. Especially from ppl like you and for that u have all my respect.

I beleive theres a reason for everything!!!!! As far as Iron tablets goes we'll see after my cats can. Aspirin could have caused bleeding in my upper small intestine that the 2 tests I have taken would not show that. The pharmacist told me 81 mg Aspirin is only good for maintenance after you have had a heart attack. He said they had studied this to the 9's. Lol. Fingers crossed on that one. Trying to maintain my exercise levels and so on as I know that helps a lot. Enjoy yer day!!!!!

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up