Coming off citalopram

Posted , 7 users are following.

After 10 years on 20mg I have decided to slowly try to come off.  I know this won't be easy, I have read a lot of posts on here and the withdrawal sounds awful.

any advice would be gratefully received.  Thanks in advance. 

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hello

The best and safest way is to reduce by 10% of your current dose each month.

The Surviving Antidepressants website will be able to advise you.

• Posted

Hi Jessers.  No two people have the same reaction, either starting or stopping citalopram.  I had a horrible time with side effects whilst on it but had almost no issues coming off it.  I did notice I was more short tempered and prone to overreacting to little upsets but generally I felt so much better very quickly I probably didnt notice any bad effects not taking them.  Prepare yourself for disruption to your sleep pattern but doing something physical, ie exercise later in the day so that you are physically tired not just mentally tired which will help your body relax at night
  • Posted

I did it very slowly overall year reduc g 2.5 mg each time, used a pill cutter and kept on each reduction at leat 5 wks. Slow slow slow 
  • Posted

Hello, From what I'm able to recall coming off Citalopram gradually is considered sensible but having said that I'd come off the drug without following this advice previously - mostly down to the fact that I feel that I'm disorganised and forgetful and basically kept on forgetting to take the drug. Like I'd said though a more controlled manner reducint the drug gradually is probably most sensible. Would not recommend anyone coming off the drug without advice from their GP though.

• Posted

There is another forum being going on for a year ot more that you will find useful.

I was on different antidepressants for 14 years and came off, in January because of the weight gain.

I had the usual dizziness and muzzy heads for less than a month but the worst thing was the depression started again.

I tried 5HTP but I think they made me worse.  I swear by Reiki and feel so much better.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.