Coming off citalopram

Posted , 3 users are following.

How do you come off citalopram I've been taking it now for nearly three weeks at 10mg it's helped but I know I can't stay on it for too long anyone have any advice on how long to stay on it I was having severe panic attacks every day so I'm afraid to go back to that..also afraid of withdrawal symptoms any advise please

0 likes, 8 replies

Report / Delete

8 Replies

• Posted

Its only been three weeks, why are you getting off of it exactly?
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Those only happen really if you cut off cold Turkey.. This med isn't addictive, so you can take it for 5 years and still not have horrible withdrawal symptoms as long as your doctor weans you off.. Its when you abruptly stop the pills that you get withdrawals. (or if you're on something addictive, then they're horrible).

Three weeks is hardly enough time to see if they're going to work. Personally I was on them for 3 months before realizing they weren't for me. My panic attacks were minimal but the daily anxiety was horrendous.

Coming off of these after just three weeks shouldn't be bad at all, they usually have you cut down to half the dose for a week and then stop the following week

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Yeah I know I would definitely not go cold turkey I will wait and see I need to have a backup of therapy which I've never tried I'm on a waiting list before i could come off them anyway because it would just go back to how bad it was before thanks for your help smile

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Megan,

​I have been taking Citalopram for 20 years...I am currently at 20mg but have been up to 40 in the past ...I am not a health care professional so I can not give you any solid medical advice but I can say three weeks is not a long time on this medication. I am curious why you think you should not stay on it if it is helping you. It has helped me for many years...talk further with your GP and best of luck .

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi Tracey thanks for replying I was just reading stories of people who said how horrible it is to come off have u any experience with how to taper off without it being so bad? I don't plan on stopping it yet but I was just afraid after reading that

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi Tracey thanks for replying I was just reading stories of people who said how horrible it is to come off have u any experience with how to taper off without it being so bad? I don't plan on stopping it yet but I was just afraid after reading that

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi Megan,

​My understanding is that all of these type of medications need to be doctor supervised when weaning  off of them as your brain becomes accustomed to them so I would see your GP with this prior to doing it ok. And dont be afraid of this medication if you feel it is helping it definitely in not a quick fix but has been very helpful for me.

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up