coming off citalopram-lightheaded?

Posted , 1 user is following.

hi, iv been trying to come of citalopram. i dropped to 20mg fine, then dropped to zero, which my doc told me to do. its been a day or so and i keep feeling really faint and lightheaded. i thought i was going to pass out today i felt terrible, and i still dont feel right. i thought it was my blood sugar, but it hasnt gone away so i think its due to coming off the drug. has anyone else experienced this? i hope it will go away soon, my head feels so odd, and i was kind of sick aswell, not major.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

HI THERE..... JUST SAW YOUR COMING OFF EXPERIENCE.. ALL YOU DESCRIBE IS NORMAL IT MAY NOT FEEL LIKE IT AT THE MO BUT HONESTLY IT IS I CUT DOWN ON CITALOPRAM MONTHS AGO AND I FELT AS IF I WAS ON ANOTHER PLANET IT DOESNOT SEEM FAIR WE MASTER THE ONSET OF THE SYMTOMS WHEN WE FIRST TAKE THE MEDS THEN WE HAVE TO MASTER ANOTHER SET WHEN WE REDUCE OR COME OFF THE DIZZINESS AND SICKNESS AND SHAKY LEGS ETC.......ETC........ETC WILL PASS AFTER AWHILE...SOME PEOPLE MAY SEE PEOPLE LIKE YOU AND I AS WEAK BUT THEY DONT REALISE HOW STRONG WE HAVE TO BE TAKE CARE AND HANG IN THERE.........
  • Posted

hi

i have been on and off citralopram for the last 6 years. what you're experiencing symptom wise is very normal and will pass. The problem that i have is that I feel fine for 6 weeks and then feel really bad again-panic attacks, anxiety etc and end up going back on them. Just feel like i'll be on them forever.

• Posted

I started coming off a few days ago and i feel so weird, lightheaded as though i need sugar. The dr said to reduce not to go to zero straightaway, but i feel as though the drug is making me weird and i need not to be on it. Just wish I was normal again!
  • Posted

Hi. I was told by my doctor that to come off them, which I am in the process of doing, you should gradually do it. So say, one week take them every other day, then the week after every third day and so on. I'm down to every 4th day and I'm struggling with everyday headaches which isn't great but I'm determined to come off them. You may have to go back on them and start on a gradual process.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.