Coming off citilopram

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi I am desperate for some advice I have taken 10mgs of citilopram for 4 days now. I feel hellish. Sick. Thoughts are not my own. I just feel like I am shut off. No emotions to the point that my mum was arguing with me yesterday and was crying all I wanted to do was cry but I couldn't. Should I stop these tablets. Can someone tell me how long it will take for the 40 Mgs to leave my system. Will I get depression if I stop them

Thank you x

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Sarah, you have normal side effects which will clear in a few weeks.......be strong and they will pass
  • Posted

Hey Sarah

I was active on this group 2 years ago when I first started Citalopram but not so active recently. I can PROMISE you that the side effects will settle.  I've been on  Citalopram for 2 years now and at first I had all the side effects going. Increased anxiety and panic, feeling sick, sweats, you name it and I had it.  2 years on I feel fantastic (touch wood).  Please stick at it, it does get better.

• Posted

I believe eating your evening meal thend shortly after taking cit with keep side effects at bay..many have said on here .. I hope this will help 😊
  • Posted

I took them for 4 days and it was hell, the side effects were awful so I stopped taking them. The side effects continued for 3-4 days, but I feel great now.

Some people will tell you to continue as after 3/4 weeks the side effects go and you will feel the benefit, however, I felt I couldn't continue for 3/4 weeks feeling as terrible as I did.

The choice is yours, you could always talk it through with your doctor.

Hope you feel better soon.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.