Coming Off Flouextine

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi

I am contemplating coming off Floux, I'm going too see my doctor to reduce the dose slowly. I'm petrified that if my symptoms come back and I have to start taking it again I will have to endure the side effects for weeks again. I have gained 28Ilbs and was also hoping this will come off once I stop taking. What are other peoples experiencing of the above, any advice?

0 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Woo 

I came off about 4 months ago, and have never felt better. I have plenty of wrk to do, but feel so much more alive and clear. 

I got my doc to prescribe a gradual reduction over 4 months (from a compounding pharmacy) and had no issues what so ever, just felt better week on week. 

All the best!

Cheers 

Craig

• Posted

I was on Effexor for about 20 years.  I forgot what it was like to start over.  I went off of it, and had to deal with over 8 weeks of torture.  Once I get to the right dose of Fluoxetine or one that works, I will never go completely off.  I would either stay on a low dose or try a different one that doesn’t have the weight side effect.  I went off the Effexor because it gave me severe constipation, and I didn’t think it was working well enough.  I should have just switched to another one.  That is my personal opinion.  Sorry if this is negative.
  • Posted

Hi I'm thinking of seeing my Dr, have been taking fluoxetine for almost 6 weeks and don't really feel any better , some days feel worse. I know i haven't been taking it very long, but have started CBT and the therapist said the aim is to come off medication at the end of the therapy. Really don't know what to think.

• Posted

For me 6 weeks was not long enough.  I’m in week 9, and just starting to feel better.
    • Posted

Hi Stacey, i know 6 weeks isn't long but the side effects have been really bad for the last 2 weeks , and if the point of the therapy is to reduce and then stop the med think i need to speak to my Dr. Really don't know what to do Xx

• Posted

Yes sounds like it would be good to speak to the Dr.  It takes so long to work.  I feel like it takes around 12 weeks to settle down and feel a lot better. I’ve taken these in the past, and it’s a very slow process.  I need both medication and counseling.
    • Posted

I agree Stacey. I am on week 7. My side effects have been horrendous but gradually the panic is subsiding and nausea/dizziness is less. I still have very bad days but the good ones are creeping in. I would say to anyone from reading this forum that you need to give it around 10 weeks. 
    • Posted

It is starting to get better, week 9.  The problem for me is as the depression gets better, it causes anxiety, so trying to deal with that.  I’m also starting a new job this week, and then my husband is going out of town for almost a week, so regular anxiety on top of it.  Trying to get through.
    • Posted

Keep in touch Stacey. It’s hard when life throws extra challenges when we are trying desperately to hang on in there. I still feel so fragile. Scared of feeling dizzy and nauseous and fed up with not sleeping.  But have come this far and should be very close like you to feeling better. If we give up now then it will all be for nothing. Just take one day at a time. Here for you x
    • Posted

Stacey this is exactly me i am week 12 only on 10mg my depression is gone and my anxiety isnt as bad but i have panic attack ls during the night and i am convinced it is the fluox as it wasnt happening before i started  xxx
    • Posted

Hi Star,

Yes I’m having severe anxiety, hoping it will get better.  It seems like for the depression to get better we have to go through this anxiety.  My Dr called it the anxiety swamp.  It is so hard, hang in there.  

• Posted

Yes we can not give up now.  We have to hang in there.  
    • Posted

Have you any idea how long it lasts? Its hard to stay on the meds when its causing anxiety but the depression is better isnt it xxx 
    • Posted

Yes the depression is getting better.  The Dr says the anxiety will get better.  I did have a good day yesterday, but today back to the bad anxiety.  I feel like around 12 weeks from what I’ve heard.  

The other option is to increase, maybe 10 isn’t enough to control it.  I’m on 40, Dr wants me on 80.

• Posted

I am in week 12 now so hopefully it will pass soon. I dont like the idea of increasing as i am only 28 and would like to come off them soon to have a baby xxx
    • Posted

Once I get to the right dose, I don’t want to ever stop taking it.  Even a low dose, so I don’t have to start all over again .
    • Posted

How long have u suffered with depression? I just worry that the tablets make us unwell aswel as the illness and i get scared that thats why people end up increasing and they increasing trying desperately to get better but  ending up worse having said that though i dont regret taking the tablets. At the time i started i was that ill i think i would have took heroine if someone had said it would make my depression better xxx
    • Posted

Last time I took them for panic disorder.  This time it was for depression, it’s been a few years.  I was low anxiety, but never had depression like this before.
    • Posted

Same for me iv suffered bouts of depression in the past and had anxiety for about 10 years but this time the depression was crippling. Xxx
    • Posted

Me too im having a terrible night iv already took 10mg propranalol and 1mg of diazapam sn not doing a thing. I switched over to the liquid form today as my pharmacy couldnt get hold of the dispersable tablets. Im wondering is it exactly the same xxx
    • Posted

I haven’t heard of a liquid.  I just googled it and it seems like it’s the same thing.

The pharmacy should know if it is.  There’s a lot of information that comes up if you google liquid Prozac.

I just started gabapentin (neurontin) today to help with anxiety.  I didn’t even have anxiety before the antidepressant, now I need something to help that.  The Dr had given me Buspar( Buspirone,) but it made it worse, so on to the next option.  Otherwise I have the Xanax.

• Posted

My dr tried to start me ob that how are you feeling in it? Its sad because i had no choice but to take the fluoxetine as i was really unwell but i cant help but feel that once u start on an AD it just seems to be drug after drug getting added to the concoction. I am hoping to ween off the flu altho really scared xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.