Coming Off fluoxetine!

Posted , 25 users are following.

Hi guys hows it going?......... well its my 3rd day and I'm off the tabs, I was down to taking one every 2 days, a lot of the time I just forgot, I just got fed up taking them, feeling tired - everyday was a drag - headaches -no sex drive - mad thoughts - I'm not saying everyone do what I'm doing just letting u guys know what I'm doing.

I just feel they were a thing I needed for a bad patch I was going through and YES it did help it took the edge off things for a while, but I just didn't wanted to be on them long term (who knows might end back on them again)?

so 3 days off them and I feel ok not bad at all, sleeping ok and head feels fine no pain at ALL! lol so wish me luck and I will keep u all updated on whats happening!

John B

2 likes, 48 replies

48 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi, you could start by registering your concerns about the home with the Commission for Social Care Inspection http://www.csci.org.uk/

Patient Admin Team

• Posted

Thanks for that Hilary - I actually emailed them yesterday with a full report of what had happened, I just found it on google

Lizz bless you so much, I know how much it would have affected your life, after trying to look after Mum at home for so long. If there's no one to help you or give you advice you just learn as you go along, and sometimes that may be too late. You have in a way sacrificed so much for giving your Mum a longer and better quality life. But it's taken it's toll on you. I live in Northampton - so miles away eh - least we've got this site mate.

Thank you so much for helping me with this, you really have helped and I am going to take your advise on making a friend of one of the carers. Im always nice to them anyway, but that is a good idea, thank you.

How are you doing now Lizz? Still feeling the same?

Iv been to see a councillor for the first time this morning, and I feel so much better for just talking to her.

Maybe you should consider something like that? What do you think?

• Posted

Hi - I vaguely recall seeing a posting where you said you were Suziesue and that you had to create a new name? Are you Suziesue of Northampton? If so then it looks as though you are registered with Patient Experience and maybe logged out inadvertently and so need to log back in?

If not then sorry but we already have one Suziesue hence your having to put something slightly different in as a username.

Hilary

Patient Admin Team

• Posted

Hilary

Thanks, yes I am Suzisue from Northampton - I just joined this week, but haven't had time to activate it yet from my home email

I'll get round to doing it soon as I can though

Thank you for this site - it's really awesome being able to talk to people who feel the same and are there for you. Thanks to all the admin team. You've certainly saved me for one!

• Posted

You shouldn't need to activate the registration - all you need to do is login with the username and password you provided and Bob's your uncle as we activate it this end.

Also once activated any posts you made as Suziesue Guest will automatically be associated with you in your 'logged in' state, but postings you are now making as suzisuziesue won't be associated to Suziesue.

Logging in is a good thing to do because it means you can then PM or e-mail other registered members if you wanted some advice rather than posting it in the open forum.

Tip - when you do log in check the box alongside automatically log me in. This means that provided you leave the forum by closing the window rather than logging out you won't need to log in the next time, and therefore you won't need to remember your username and password!

• Posted

Thank you Hilary

For some reason when I joined it wouldn't let me log in and I just thought I had to activate it

Oh well, all's OK now! Thank you for all your help

Suz

• Posted

Hi Suziesue and every one else

Sorry i haven't been able to post for a few days,weel it has been nearly eight weeks since i stopped pills altogether and feeling better by the day,i don't think the anxious feeling will every go away,it takes the least little thing to turn my stomach,but what the hell i can at least think straighter than i have done in a long time,i have also started to sleep a bit better not a lot but a bit,well my husband has booked a holiday for the both of us to spain so hopefully when i am away from everyone and everything it will help me to relax,SUN SEA AND SAND,I am not expecting anything else just to be away from the phone and the door bell will be peace in itself..

Hope you are feeling a bit better suziesue and you have sorted things for your mum.

Take care everyone,there is always life at the end of the tunnel we just have to keep digging to find it fingers crossed it won't be to long

• Posted

Aw Lizz - it's so good to hear from you. I am so glad you are OK, and even more glad that you are going away for a lovely holiday.

God I really hope this'll be the absolute best holiday ever for you. I know exactly what you mean about just getting away from the pressure of the phone and the door bell

How lovely of your hubby to book a holiday. I am truly happy for you - and make sure you keep us posted (Please 8 weeks off them and you are doing so well)

:D

• Posted

Hi Suziesue just managed to get back on the computer,i am doing well at the minute still got the anxious feeling in my stomach but feeling much better in myself i am so pleased i decided to come off the pills, for me it was the best thing to do,but can't say the same for everyone else,i only know that when the time is right you will know.

well i am going to go to a friends caravan at the weekend just me and my dog,it is a little yorkshire terrier and she is so well behaved she is only 9mths old, she is my saviour i talk to her when i am working about people will think i am mad but what the hell,do you have a dog suziesue,well the caravan is at knarsborough near mother shiptons cave so i am going to take a good book and a bottle off wine haven't had a drink in nearly a year,so iff the weather is kind to me i will sit on the veranda ( like the film shirley valentine )only it will be in a caravan and not the beach.

Hope you and your mum are doing okay i have attached a photo of my dog hope you like it.[/img]

• Posted

Hi Suziesue

Well i went to the caravan on my own but only stayed a couple of hours my mind was playing tricks with me again it wasn't very nice,so i didn't get to read my book or have a glass of wine either,so much for shirley valentine Eh.How are you suziesue i hope your mum is okay and more to the point how are you bearing up with it all ? did you get in touch with your local social services or has the home improved.

Well it is only 2 weeks to my holiday and i am getting stressed already i am scared stiff of the flying so i am making myself ill i keep saying to myself it will be okay but will just have to wait and see.

Hope yo are okay i see you havent posted for a while take care and god bless

• Posted

Hi Lizz

Bless you, I wish I could say something to you that could calm you down re flying etc - I bet you're going to have a wicked holiday - just think about the sun, sand and sea, and you'll get to read that book!

I get very anxious about things too - but not holidays! Im jealous!

Try and relax and have fun, please. Want you to come back afterwards and tell us how awesome it was!

As for me babe, I'll have been off fluoxetine for 2 weeks tomorrow

Today's the anniversary of Dad's death - and I feel sad, but I would do wouldn't I. Apart from the sadness over Mum and how I feel about Dad today - Im doing OK. I feel OK. Infact the last few days, been having real laughs with my kids. Danny asked me what I was on!! LOL - More like withdrawals I guess! Im acting like an idiot, and think everything's funny!

But then that feeling's back where Im a bit wreckless as well - that feeling that you can't stop death etc - you know like Mum dying of vascular dementia, but it's slow, and just crap, but there's nothing I can do about it - like with Dad's cancer

The government dept that deal with care homes has contacted me after I sent them an email - they do seem to care really. But things continue to be bad on a daily basis - I just try and get Mum out of there as much as I can

Im taking her out tonight. She's just wasting away in front of my eyes.

But all this is life and I have to accept it. The daily grinde is not so bad now, Just hope that I continue to be strong and OK with coming off the pills

Lizz, and everyone, hope you're all doing ok

Sending you hugs xxx

• Posted

Hello all Im pritty young compared to all you guys haha.. Im only 15 but been on fluoxentine for about 7 months.. and now i just came off them its been a week now,was reading on the internet about side affects and now i no its normal..Been having crazy dreams.. and being a little paranoid.. and this weird like electric shock feelings..was scared until i seen this website.. its good they have this.

thanks all

:lol:

• Posted

Hi Folks...Ive been on Flueoxitine 20mg for 3 years now ....its flown by .... i tried to come off it quickly once becuase an idiot GP told me to just stop taking it if i liked .........i started getting those weird electric shocks in my feet and legs and was jumping about like an idiot it gave me a fright . Ive decided to take on every second day for a week or two then one every three days for a a couple of weeks than stop ? any one recommend anything else?. I do think at the time they were the correct choice for me at the time (some jobs should just hand them to you when you start lol) anyway its been great to listen to like minded people with similar issues to myself. All the Best E
  • Posted

I had been taking fluoxetine for about 18 months to help with menopause symptoms (feeling knackered, low mood, generally very grumpy etc.) and, following a consultation with my doctor it was decided to wean off them about four weeks ago in the hope that I was over the worst.

Since ceasing them completely (2 weeks ago) I hadn't really noticed much change to sleeping habits, mood, thoughts etc. BUT two days ago I suddenly developed a flu-ish like feeling (neuralgic pain in hands, aching all over etc. and then my GUMS suddenly and inexplicably became sore and inflamed to the point where it was painful to eat! I hopped it post haste to the Dentist who took one look, scratched and scratched her head .......She checked my dental record and said that in view of the fact I had never suffered from gum disease and visit the hygenist regularly it was unlikely to be gingivitis all of a sudden so must be an allergy.

She asked me if anything had changed recently - so I told her I had come off fluoxetine about a fortnight ago. She dismissed this as unrelated and said I should take a broad spectrum anti histamine. As an afterthought, she also precribed me a huge (1500 mg x 7 days) of amoxicillin - presumably in case she was wrong about the gum infection! I was sent home from work as mouth was so swollen I couldn't speak without drooling all over my desk. So I started my medications and went to ground. 24 hours later (not long I know) my mouth was even sorer, withe gums creeping up my teeth and going from very red to purplish bluey red..... Eating anything other than yoghourt impossible.

So I took myself off to my GP who took one look, scratched his head and said keep with with the treatment and go back to the dentist when the antibiotics had run out. He said it looked like acute gingivitis but that it didn't add up as gingivitis usually is chronic. So here I am on day four of the antibiotics - not got the flu like symptoms any more BUT gums still swollen and very sore to the degree that biting into anything is not an option. Also, whenever I DO eat anything (ice cream or yoghourt for instance) my entire mouth gets very sore and swollen, even slightly numb, to the degree that my bite goes awry.

Anyway, the reason I am on this forum is because I googled fluoxetine withdrawal and one of the documented effects was oral irritation including extreme hypersensitivity to previously acceptable foodstuffs. I have never ever suffered from any food allergies btw.

So has anyone out there had anything similar happen? cry

• Posted

Hello. Six weeks ago I stopoped taking Fluoxetine.

Stupid reason really because I have been taking it for 17 years and according to my wife it suits me very well.

I stopped because I ran out of pills and where I am it is very expensive so I thought pack in for now and go back on when I get back to the UK in afew months time.

Only one problem I have been feeling woozy ,half awake for a couple of weeks,and I can only think that my stopping Prozac is to blame for this disorientated feeling.

I resumed 20 mgs a day a week ago but feeling still persists, obvious concern that even if I resume this feeling will not go away somehow I have damaged my brain.

Tim

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.