coming off meds anxiety back 10 fold. advice ??

Posted , 7 users are following.

Been on painkillers from an injury for 4 years. During those 4 years my anxiety was completely gone. Wasn't addicted just dependant. Before I was depressed and had an anxiety disorder. Lost a good job. Lost alot of weight and suffered greatly. After going on pain meds I got a new job. Also moved up into management and and purchased my first new car. 2 weeks ago I took my last pain killer. Its been a downward spiral. No physical withdraws. But omg !! The anxiety is so severe. Its been 2 weeks should my anxiety be back to normal. Had anyone had a similar experience. Bc Im seriously thinking about going back on the meds. Im a single mom with kids and I have to support them.. Any adice please !!

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

My thing Marie is I am on klonopin and Celexa and my anxiety was non existent or to wear I could ignore it. I look at it this way , sorry 😐 but better to be dependent on a med and be able to live your life! Then have anxiety and be crippled with fear. My two cents worth! Good luck! Enjoy your life..

• Posted

Hi Marie. Did you slowly ease off the meds, or did you decide to stop taking them all at once? You've been taking these pain killers for years, and so it's a super bad idea to just stop taking them suddenly. If you've been having anxiety symptoms, I'd recommend going to your doctor and explaining the situation. He'll be able to help you make a safe and healthy decision. Please feel better soon, and goodluck...I know it's so hard when you have kids to take care of. But you'll be fine! 

• Posted

You may find this hard to believe but you certainly did get accidentally addicted to the pain killers.

You shouldn't come off them cold-turkey. Really bad idea and that is what is causing you to feel so terrible.

What were you taking, and how much in 24 hours? Once we know that, we can figure out a way to help you. If you'd rather, do go and see your doctor for help, Marie.

love Tess xx

• Posted

It sounds like anxiety due to withdrawal symptoms. Go see you doctor and discuss it with them. I tried to just reduce coffee/caffeine before and that caused me anxiety. I can't imagine what you are going though.

I hope your doc can help

B

• Posted

Hello Marie

What pain medication have you been taking ?

I take Tramadol an Opiate type medication and it can be addictive. You need to take advice on pain medication, withdrawal as it may take an extended period.to become clear of your contraindications

You could try a TENS Machine to assist over the withdrawal period.

BOB

• Posted

I was taking vicodin. 3 10mg a day most days some days less. I went cold turkey and the first week wasnt two bad. Even went to work etc. Its been 2 weeks and this second week the anxiety has crept in. Ive also been on xanax for 7yrs. Never take more then one a day until coming off the vicodin. Now Im wondering if its the xanax making me sick. Everytime I read things it says I should be through the with drawls by now. Just desperate to feel better bc i go back to work monday.
    • Posted

Did you stop taking the Vicodin because you're no longer in pain?

• Posted

I think you're exactly right.. Though you weren't addicted you were dependent .. In other words you didn't abuse the meds but over time your body depended on them. The reason I ask was my husband was in the same situation a few years back. He really felt bad even weeks after he stopped pain meds .. To the point he went back on them, I wouldn't suggest that bc eventfully he ended up on methadone bc he felt so bad every time he stopped

His pain meds!! ( it's crazy bc he never took more than prescribed but his body became dependent)

Maybe you should see you doctor and explain exactly what's going on.

I wish the best for you and hope you're better soon

• Posted

That makes a lot of sense!

Sorry if my use of the word 'addicted' upset you, but dependent is the right term. Not your fault.

Vicodin should be stopped gradually. Do go to see your doctor, Marie, and explain how bad you feel. Your doctor can help you.

love Tess xx

• Posted

I actually took less then prescribed most days. But before I started them I had a self diagnosed anxiety disorder. I was too embarassed to get help etc. As to they would think i was crazy..hell i thought i was crazy. Anxiety makes your mind have the stupidest thoughts that at normal non anxious times you can see them for what they are. I try to tell myself. I am not my thoughts. My thoughts are just thoughts. Alot of scared feelings running through me. Bc the meds helped me so much and accomplish things and I lived a happy life. That ill never have that without them.
    • Posted

Has your doctor refused to issue a new prescription?

If you felt so well on them, what made you stop, darling?

• Posted

I just thought it would be easy. Thought i would have a rough week and then be okay. But then all the anxiety came flooding back and im contemplating on just giving up and taking them again. Im also prescribed xanax but with the vicodin i didn't need the xanax but once at night. Now Im taking more xanax and it makes me sleepy making me feel more depressed. Im so at a loss what to do. One one hand I just want to cave and get back on the meds and on the other I keep thinking maybe this will pass.. I just don't know how long i can hold out. But now Im scared to take it bc i haven't in two weeks and not sure how im going to feel when i take it..ughh im a mess

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.