Coming off Meds on own

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, so this is my 5th night without taking my meds (30mg mirtazapine) good or bad idea?

I've wondered for a while now if they have any or very little effect, so made the decision to stop taking them to test the theory, At the moment i feel no better or worse but wondering if maybe it can take a while to get out of my system?

Any advice? Has anyone just decided on their own to do the same? Go cold turkey? I've not consulted my doctor as im sure he would advise that it's not the best idea but like I say I honestly don't think they are really helping, so why keep pumping myself with pills that don't work? X

1 like, 35 replies

Report / Delete

35 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Id taper off personal, but we are all different and you may be successfully. I guess the question is what happens if you go worse, whats your plan then ? I would tell them what you are doing. the fact you made the decision should ensure they give you the correct support
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

It is very dangerous to just stop taking anti depressants. Yes, they will take a while to leave your system, the same as they do getting into your system.

You have not given them enough time. It can take a few weeks before you notice any difference. 

I don't know how much experience the other contributors on here have of AD's but I have been on them most of my adult life, People seem so scared of them but surely feeling as bad as you did to merit you being precribed them is worse?? 

I say again, they are not the demon drug that lots of people seem to think that they are. Millions of poundds and years of research go into them and they can and DO save lives.

Please reconsider and at least discuss it with your GP. They will tell you the same, you have to give them time.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi sue, ive been on these for a good few months now, have previously been on others, all in all been on anti d's for a few years but I really don't think they have an effect on me, I've just kept taking them as it was the "norm" to do so but ive wondered for a while now if they are doing any good at all, figure this is the only way to find out? Xx
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I think that lots of people expect ADs to make them feel good, That isn't how they work. They regulate the chemicals in your brain that make you feel depressed. 

Sometimes, the first time that you take ADs, you can feel really good but that levels out after time. They make you feel more 'normal'. There are thousands of different ADs and it can take time to find the right one for each individual.

It is up to you if you want to find out whether they are working or not, but why risk it, at least without medical guidance, when you could very easily end up feeling worse?

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi, I know what you're saying but I just don't feel they have an effect either way, I am seeing my doctor this week though so I guess I should tell him? Just fed up with taking something that I don't feel helps me xx
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Yes I came of 30 mg mirtzapine. Was ok for a,week then the insomnia and panic attacks strike. Was at,work when this happened so was caught completely off guard. Ur feel sick alot of symptoms lasted about 4 weeks.. Be careful and good luck x
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi. I've been on many types of meds for depression over the years, and discovered there's no magic bullet (I wish there was). At last, recently, I've arrived at an effective combination, but I still feel more or less depressed, depending on the day. I find that seeing or talking to other people whom I like, getting some exercise, or watching comedy also helps me, even when I don't feel like doing it.

About stopping medication: I've learned that it can be dangerous to just stop taking medications cold turkey. Your doctor can give you a schedule for backing off gradually, which is the wisest thing to do. I'd call him or her first, before just stopping. Please be careful and take care of yourself.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Dondons3 Thanks for backing me up on this. So many people on here comment that they have or are going to stop their meds, but as I keep saying, PLEASE don't do this without medical supervision, it can be dangerous, not just mentally, but to your body too.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Day 7 Donna how is it all going being off the Mirtazapine.

Mirtazapine and other antidepressants may cause a withdrawal syndrome upon discontinuation. So you need to watch out for withdrawal symptoms such asts of sudden increased depression, anxiety, panic attacks, vertigo, restlessness, irritability, decreased appetite, insomnia, diarrhoea, nausea, vomiting, flu-like symptoms such as allergies and pruritus, headaches, and sometimes hypomania or mania.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi, thank you for your comments, it's day 8? now and still feel no different to how I did whilst taking them, ive not experienced any side effects as of yet but I do understand that can maybe take time and could be something to come, I have an appointment today with my doctor, I will explain to him that ive stopped taking them although I'm sure he is going to advise me to start them again or as some of you have said "wean me off them" but I'm not sure that's what I want? I mean maybe after 8 days, starting them again may cause more harm than good?

I really don't know What to do but I don't want to be taking tablets that don't help xx

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

You may be right. When I had to come off Mirtazapine ( as you know i was on 45mg ) I weaned off in 3 days and moved straight on to Venflaxine.

Have you checked the other threads on Vitamins that are good to take to easy brain zap and to boost you ?

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi Jimmy, no? Read a few comments about side effects when coming off them but ive not had any as of yet, honestly think maybe I'm different? Maybe they didn't help me and therefore aren't effecting me by coming off them? I mean I'm no expert by all means just know how I feel you know?

Like they were supposed to help with sleeping, read a lot of people write about them knocking them out at night but they never did for me, made me drowsy but still couldn't sleep or I'd sleep for a very short time and then wake again, just don't think they help me at all, I may be making a huge mistake but if I feel bad/worse or suffer any side effects then I only have myself to blame right? I've wondered for a long time if they have any effect on me and Just thinking maybe it's worth the risk to finally find out if I was right x

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Got doctors in an hour, I will talk to him just don't want to be scared into taking them again, you know? Fed up with taking something that I don't feel helps, I mean why waste my time? I know they're not a magic fix but surely they're supposed to do something otherwise what's the point? When I upped to 45mg they had an effect but I bad one but reducing back to the 30mg doesn't seem to have Any effect whatsoever....confused and fed up! X
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

You know my story just like you 45 mg put me in a dark place and 30mg did nothing either, but I moved on to Venlafaxine which has 2 elements to lift mood and also give you some umph too.

Maybe there is something else you can try. I mean lots of people end up try a few before fix things. I tried Citalpram and Mirtazapine. Cital Pram was a waste of time it dint make me feel any better

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up