coming off Mirt

Posted , 5 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

HI

Got my self off mirt for a week now, was on 15mg for 4 months, tapered down over about 3 weeks, and felt ok, and better on 7.5 and even half that.

Was really taking it as much to help with sleep ( have always woken up many many times a night for past 30 years, but has got much worse last year or so) as depression, and it did help with my sleep but left me with little motivation to do anything, but now I am having really bad trouble with my sleep, and am tempted to go back to a low dose of mirtazapine to help with this, unless anybody has any good suggestions if alternatives.

As I say always had trouble with sleep for years and have never slept through the night as daft as it sounds, so can't put it just down to coming off mirt, as always had the problem. Depression isn't too bad at all really, but I am now getting depressed and anxious bout not sleeping.....

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi there, what you say reflects what mirt does to me. I have been on it for a long time: it is a powerful sedative there is no mistaking that but like you, it really does rob me of motivation and after a while didn't help with the sleep issues. Again, like you, I have struggled with my sleep for years (15 approx), every night broken and disturbed sleep. I was always against sleeping tablets but my psychatrist prescribed a few different ones over the years and I now take Zolpidem (Stillnocht) with very few after effects. This particular tablet does help me unlike a lot of the others previously prescribed for me...the worst was Zopiclone. I don't get a perfect night's sleep, but like you I know how bad it can be when the pattern is heavily disrupted. I don't know if this helps you at all - perhaps talk to your GP. Best Wishes.  
  • Posted

Hi thanks it does help.

I found that on a very low dose like 7.5 or even 3.5 my motivation was better, than on the 15 and sleep was still not to bad on such a low dose, which is making me think about going back on it.

Not expecting a miracle cure, but if I don't sleep, then I am not in a good place, so guess fir me the sleep is a big issue with the mirt

• Posted

Hi, I started on mirt to help me sleep as well as for the depression..it helped with the sleep for a few nights but then found that some days I could be wide awake until three or four in the morning I would then sleep until ten but would wake up tired....Am retired but still felt mirt made me feel worse hence my reason for wanting to come off it completely...Am looking at natural remedies and yes I have been on zoplicone too but didn't really think it helped me...so may be yes talk to your gp and of course best wishes
  • Posted

Hi,

This is a reply to everyone really...

Did any of you notice a reduced appetite or even some weight loss on reducing your Mirt?

I have been on and off lots of meds over the years... The most successful sleep aid I have had is Quetiapine.

I am on 600mg at the moment but have been as high as 900mg, but I think this high amount is as I am using them to control Bi Polar and stop me going "high"..my psychiatrist had told me in the past that Q can be used in doses of around 50mg for Insomnia....

I have met people in the ward base environment that have been on this dosage...

Good Luck x

• Posted

Hi HH,

yes, reducing the mirt does couse loss off apetite and weight loss...

This stabilises a few weeks after reducing/withdrawal.

Good luck.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply...

I've just started on week 2 of a 4 week withdrawal plan... Nothing negative to report so far... ( hope I'm not speaking to soon)

No weight loss as of present...

Is the weight loss going to be significant? As I've got 4 stone to go....

X

• Posted

I did lose about 8kg after withdrawal, mainly because my apetite was gone.

It is better to be able to eat and to keep some weight.

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up