Coming off Mirt

Posted , 6 users are following.

I was on 15 mg of Mirt for 1year. Helped with mood, anxiety and insomnia. It started not to work as well so decided to taper down.

I cut down in quaters over a 3 month period. (15mg-12mg (1 month) -7.5mg-(1month) 3.5mg (10days). Totally off tomorrow.

Trouble going to sleep was first withdrawal symptom and have used

L-Tryptophan for sleep. 500mg at bedtime and 500mg in middle of the night if I wake up.

Just started with headaches yesterday and today, couldn't firgure this out as I don't normally get headaches. 

I believe a really slow taper is the way to go.

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Hi Janice

Glad to read yor taper has gone well for you.  Even dropping like this upsets most folk, you could be one of the luckier ones who don't get caught out with WD.  That's great, hope you continue to improve  smile

I just read up on the L-Tryptophan on web md, I read the reviews, one or 2 folk were offering advice to build it up slowly as in 100 mg to begin with, and not to take it every night, just a thought ... maybe helps a little, not sure.

Best wishes.

• Posted

I agree about taking it every night, Normally I don't but to deal with this major side effect from the Mirt (not able to go to sleep) I have used it nightly for this time. After I'm off the Mirt I intend to do a slow taper with this too. I think without this alternative (L-tyrptophan) I wouldn't be able to drop this drug.

• Posted

Yes that is the worst WD symptom, of course, hope it works for you.  Can always take a baby step back to 3.5mg of Mirt (I know you don't want to) if it gets too bad, and then try 10% taper every 10days/2 weeks with making the liquid method.  Hope it doesn't come to that, such a hard med to quit ugh ... !

• Posted

Hi Janice I'm hoping to slowly taper off mitrazapine (currently on 15mg) but I'm worried about sleep as it's always been an issue for me.

I hadn't heard about L-Tryptophan before. Does it really help? I get myself very stressed about not being able to sleep.

Well Done!!

• Posted

Hi Emma, It works for me, without it I couldn't go to sleep as that is major withdrawal symptom from Mirt. Check it out on the internet. As your body readjusts you will need the L-tryptophan less and less. It takes an hour to kick in and doesn't keep you asleep all night. I usually take it to go to sleep and then again if I wake up around 3am. Good luck. I'm down to a 1/4 pill of Mirt for the next month.

• Posted

Thank you so much 😊 I've ordered some in preparation for cutting down the mitrazapine x

• Posted

Hope it works for you. I haven't tried to taper down the L-trytophan ( once a night instead of twice) but I've used it before and just stopped with no problems. My bottle even says take 3 pills for sleep.

• Posted

I take 5-HTP occassionaly. I think it has helped me, but I'm not sure. I also have tryptophan lying around. I will give that a go as well. I quit Mirta after a relatively slow taper and I am now almost three weeks post withdrawal. Was bouncing back after withdrawal set in the 11th or 12th day. Hope to feel better soon. Good luck with your taper!

• Posted

I have been taking tryptophan for a few days & its definitely helped with my sleep and I'm not generally a good sleeper at all.

I've tried lots of other supplements & they didn't help so maybe give them a go?

I feel I'm really ready now to wean off this awful drug. This time I was extremely poorly & I could barely function but now I'm in a much better place.

I even let my crazy mare have a good blast up the common today..until a few months ago I would freeze at the thought of even getting back on a horse.

Well Done on your journey beyond mitrazapine x

• Posted

Hi Emma,

I took 500 mg of tryptophan last night. I sometimes take melatonin too, but timing is essential with melatonin and it was already too late to take this. Are you familiar with how this stuff converts? Tryptophan into 5-htp into serotonin into melatonin. I think taking tryptophan is easier for the body because we get it from food aswell, but it takes more effort to convert it to the good stuff that makes us happy and sleepy.

Anyway, I took it before bed and although it took me some time to fall asleep, I slept like a baby eventually. Hooray. Will continue using this. How are you doing today?

• Posted

I wasn't aware of how it works so that's all good info to have 😊

I've tried melatonin supplements in the past too.

I've been taking the tryptophan about 2 hours before bed & find that works for me.

Last night I took half a mitrazapine so 7.5mg. I'm going to stick with that dose for a couple of weeks & see how it goes.

Sleep was a bit hit & miss last night but I'm having a chilled out day so it's fine 😊

Hope you are doing ok 😊

• Posted

Hi Emma,

I have been taking the 500 mg of trypto again last night. Slept like a baby, but today, just like last thursday, dizziness set in. I feel my breath is really high in my chest. Ugh. Hope this will pass. I don't feel depressed though. Thank god. Hope you are doing fine.

• Posted

My sleep seems better but I'm a bit jittery tonight as I've only had 7.5mg of mitrazapine for 2 days but I'm coping.

I hope your symptoms pass and you feel better soon. It's hard going at times isn't it? sad

Keep me posted x

• Posted

I know! As if it's not enough that we've been through hell before we took this medicine, we have to crawl back through the same hell to get off it.

Been reading on the website of 'the road back' and started taking passion flower extract for anxiety and fish oil for my brain. I think it helps. I am almost through this. I seem to go the right direction. Fingers crossed! How are you today?

• Posted

That's interesting, I will look into it smile

I've had a good day, managed a long walk and got some Xmas shopping done although I was a bit anxious in very busy shops.

Sleep seems to be avoiding me tonight so I've just taken a 2nd tryptophan x

• Posted

Well, it does get better. Hang in there! I was very tired last night, but as soon as I went to bed and closed my eyes, I fell asleep and slept for 8 hours straight. Such a relieve!

I quit Mirta since 3,5 weeks. I still feel anxious sometimes though.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.