Coming off mirtazapine

Posted , 2 users are following.

I've only been on mirtazapine about 14 weeks - 2.5 weeks 15mg, 1.5 weeks 22.5 mg, 7 weeks 30mg, then started reducing over the last 2.5 weeks, currently down to 7.5mg. I decidied to come off it because although I was definitely getting some benefit from being on it, I didn't feel it was enough to compensate for the side effects. I had also read some really scary stories on here about withdrawal which made me want to get off it sooner rather than later. I am going to be moving to a different AD, clomipramine, in a few days. I've been reducing my dose every 4 to 6 days. I'm planning on taking one more 7.5 tonight,  then 3.75 for 4 nights and then stopping. I'm now terrified what  might be letting myself in for in terms of withdrawal. Currently My mood has dropped, which I expected, I'm not sleeping very well, feel a bit jittery and have a nervous tummy but it's all fairly manageable at the moment. Surely I haven't been on it long enough for it to get too bad? By the way my GP said she had never heard of anyone having problems coming off it! Any advice or encouragement would be very welcome! Thanks Guys

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Oh my word! I have only done a month in total and I am ready to kick this drug to the curb. I went from 7.5 mg 3 nights ago to 3.5mg and am still there. Planning on going off from tonight, so I am with you all the way. Feeling better today than I have in a while, although I did wake up much earlier today. So, yes, if you have made up your mind to stop the Rem, do it now, and we can be terrifies together. We will make it! Good luck, and I will be thinking of you wink
  • Posted

Hi, go careful is what people are telling me. I am in a very similar position although a little bit behind you. See the thread here about it:

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/reduction-and-next-steps-403770?page=0

I am 12 weeks or so on Mirt and I am currently on 30mg after dropping from 45mg. My GP at first was talking about a very abrupt switch to Lofepramine. When I raised eyebrows on it by the time I next saw him he had read up on this and reversed his position to going carefully. Sounds like you are getting similar guidance to me. Lofepramine and Clomipramine are both Tricyclic ADs.

One question, how are you managing to have 3.75 mg dose? Is this a liquid form you have? Here in the UK I don't think pills could go that small for this med.

• Posted

Hi, quick question for you: did you feel more energy and motivation after dropping from 45mgs to 30? I was feeling overly sedated on 45 so have been halving the pills. I seem to have a greater interest in life. Thanks. NB Have been on 30mgs for 3 years or so
    • Posted

I have a pill cutter, cost about £4 off amazon. It's obviously not that accurate but it does allow me to roughly quarter a 15mg tablet. I'm in the UK too.
  • Posted

Hi Simone, I am using a pill cutter on the 15 mg tab. I don't think anyone does the liquid in Africa. It does require a huge amount of dexterity, but I think I am getting pretty close. Today brought some mild nausea, a wonky tummy and feeling a bit anxious, but that may have something to do about stressing about sleep tonight. Hope I am not going too fast, but I am sure someone will give us guidance and suggestions. 
    • Posted

Hi Lee, we seem to be having very similar experiences! It would be great to keep in touch and hear how you get on. What really worries me are the symptoms that people are having 2 or 3 weeks after completely stopping the tablets. Are you moving to another AD?
  • Posted

Hey there Simone, no plan on chaning to another med at the moment. Have tried Lexapro, Brintellix and Rem over the past few months. I think my brain and body need to wash out before having another psychotropic assault. Am going to get off the Rem and reconsider when I feel physically strong enough and things are quieter at work. Just really worried about the insomnia and anxiety, but don't want another med getting caught up in this fiasco. Much love to you and I hope things start looking up soon. Hugs x
    • Posted

Thanks, Lee. I can totally understand that. Have you ever tried cbt or mindfulness? I dabble with a bit of both and I do get some benefit from them . T hey can both really help with anxiety. Love and hugs to you x
    • Posted

Love and hugs back. How are you doing? Keep me posted Simone. X
    • Posted

Hi Lee,

Good to hear from you.

Felt extremely anxious today but not sure how much was withdrawal and how much was fear of the withdrawall! feeling calmer now. Dropped to 3.75 mg tonight. How are things with you? X

• Posted

Hi Simeone,

Hope you are doing well. Why don't you FB Rose and join her secret WD group? Her profile pic

Is a red flower . She is awesome and offers great advice and encouragement. Much love to you.

• Posted

Hi Lee,

thanks sounds great but I'm having trouble finding Rose on fb. The only flower photo I can find is a pink rose. Is that her? Would love to hear how you are doing. Xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.