Coming off Mirtazapine, anxiety getting worse !

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi

Coming off Mirtazapine as per Doctors instruction.

Was on 30mg for 4 months and have cut down to 15mg for 7 days and then 7mg for next 7 days and then nothing.

On the 5 day on 7mg at the moment and suddenly the anxiety symptoms are horrible, tight chest, nervous feeling.

Is this normal when coming off Mirtazapine? Will it eventually go if I ride it out?

Dreading going on nothing!

Thanks for any help

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi SM13, I took it a lot slower than you are proposing, over months I gradually reduced to 3.5 mg (quarter of a 15mg tab) and stayed on that for well over a month and have been off for nearly three weeks, at first I felt ok then had nausea which I don’t know if it was related my doctor says no but I am not so sure as Marge Simpson had similar symptoms, I have been waking early but without the weird dreams, however I had a bad morning this morning first on for ages so not quite sure what to do as I definitely don’t want to go back on the meds.

If I were you I would ask the doctor to reconsider and give you more time.

• Posted

Thanks ColinB, kind of you replying. He also gave me 2mg of Diazepam if I needed them - too scared to take those incase they have side effects! Wondered if anyone has taken them?
  • Posted

Yes I have a supply of 2mg Diazepam and take one occasionally, I have virtually no side effects from these but they dont seem to help that much,
  • Posted

Hi Colin, Are you feeling any better?

Start tomorrow going with no mirtazapine and then Friday start the Dosulepin, spoke to the Doctor today about my anxious thoughts re the meds and he said to go on the new ones.

Might try a Diazepam tonight as last night I lay awake fretting!

For me the anxiety seemed worse on the mirtazapine along with the dizziness.

Take Care

• Posted

Hi SM13 I was on Dosulepin some time ago when I was really bad I am not sure if they helped as I continued to suffer with anxiety, but to be honest I have suffered with anxiety with everything I have been on, the only difference with the Mirt was that I at least slept, I have gradually improved over the last five years and I think it is just time that has helped me to get where I am now, I have been off of the Mirt for three weeks tomorrow and until last weekend I was the best I had been since it all went wrong for me, but last weekend I started to feel sick, and today I felt really dizzy and sick with a headache, they do warn that coming off to quickly will produce these effects, this from the press release, Mirtazapine should usually be stopped gradually over a few weeks to avoid withdrawal symptoms which may include dizziness, anxiety, headache, nausea, vomiting and agitation, but as I said before I cut down over months so not sure if it is withdrawal I know Marge Simpson had simmilar problems, has anyone else out there experience this.
  • Posted

Hello. My first post.

I was on Mirtazapine backed with Buspirone for 15 months. The depression may have lifted but I felt acute anxiety every minute of every day of 15 months, especially on waking. I also suffered increasingly from overwhelming feelings as if I were being drugged - falling unconscious and then waking moments later after really disturbing if brief dreams. This also happened when I \"came to\" in the morning. Diazepam helped a bit.

It was the passing out episodes which persuaded me to try and come off Mirtazapine and Buspirone a month ago. I came off the latter overnight (yes, yes, I know! I know!) and after a couple of weeks of the Mirtazapine in three nights. Cold turkey - wrong, I know, but anyway...I've now been free of either for a fortnight.

Result: I can't seem to sleep much beyond half past four a.m. BUT...

Almost all the feelings of anxiety, dread, fear have gone. Overnight.

The passing out has stopped.

And the depression, so far, hasn't returned.

I feel a new man, after years on medication - not perfect, but 90% better.

I just felt I should share this with you. Those tempted to try to cut down / come off Mirtazapine may take heart. Good luck to all.

• Posted

Are you any better Colin? Thanks for the info, I had a good day yesterday but today am riddled with anxiety and a dizzy head! 4th day on nothing, due to start Dosulepin tonight which I am dreading!

I know what you mean lobogris, I initially went to the Doctor with depression - couldn't sleep and since being on the mirtazapine I have had anxiety ever since - especially when waking!

Doctor said that it can make anxiety worse!

Hopefully after a few days I will feel better! Really don't want to take medication, CBT is okay but taking time!

Take Care all

• Posted

I atarted Mirtazepine with CBT, the CBT does take time but is definately worthwhile, after taking Seroxat for four years then Mirtazepine and Citalopram for nearly two I am now trying to get rid of both drugs! Mirtazepine ceased two weeks ago and apart from the itching, nausea and headaches, panic ++ I think i'm winning! The Citalopram is ongoing but only 20mgs, not sure if this is a good idea or not as panic not going-must carry on though.

Diazepam is wonderful to stop the panic reaching that high point, it takes enough away to leave you functioning so give it a go it wont make you feel worse just relaxed. I still take one now and again when a crisis panic is brewing-

Good luck

Emma

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.