Coming off Mirtazapine - extremely tired

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi all,

For about 8 years I was on high doses of Anafranil (225mg) and 15mg of Mirtazapine. I've been slowly reducing the amounts for over a year (!). Now I'm down to only 7.5 mg Mirtazapine. I am feeling a bit better mentally (more color in my life :-)) but am generally feeling very tired. Working full time and being a father of two little children, I am able to get about 7.5 hours of sleep per night (average), but wake up extremely tired and feel that my body needs at least 10 hours... Unfortunately, I just don't have those 10 hours... I am quite the zombie during the day and wondering if anyone else has experienced this, if this is definitely a withdrawal symptome or not? I assume that if this is part of withdawal, I should push forward and get it over with but am a bit afraid to go ahead. I remember, many years back, when I was on Mirtazapine only, that it did make me very tired. Funny that with the two drugs together I was less tired than now...

Any advice would be extremely helpful. Thanks!!!

0 likes, 31 replies

31 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Violet

You're doing really well I'd say, withdrawing the best way, nice and slow, letting the neurotransmitters adjust back gently and not shock the nervous system.  I too am withdrawing.  Like you I also found 7.5 mg more sedating than the 15 mg I was on, I have been withdrawing for around 4 months.

I wonder if you have considered taking supplements to help with the journey (I'm not selling them !!).  Magnesium is a great help and a good one to get in place now, a complex of them all as there are 3 types, maybe speak to your herbalist.  Take in the morning with food.  

Wishing you well smile

• Posted

Yes violet I'm tired too at 7.5 Mirt. I used to take mirt along with Trazadone until very recently. I just was noticing today that I am more tired and drowsy now just on mirt (and Trazadone made me tired too!). My plan is to start tapering it in one month. It will be then 2 months off of Trazadone and my system should be more settled. I do note like you that everything is more clearer (more color in my life) with only taking mirt.

Mirtazapine is absolutely more sedating on the low doses of 7.5 mg or less. Higher doses of mirt is for depression/anxiety. That's great that you were able to get down to 7.5. Keep tapering and good luck.

annie

• Posted

Hi all,

You are such wonderful people for responding so quickly, thoroughly and being so supportive. My only regret now is, why didn't I post this thread about a year ago...? Maybe I would have already been off the meds six months ago and would have saved myself so much confusion, uncertainty and discomfort.

The mere knowledge that Mirt is MORE sedative at lower doses is so relieving. I didn't really know this and was essentially thinking this may never end... Now I know I need to push forward and bite the bullet for a while because there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

By the way, I started tapering the two meds with the assisantce of an MD who practices orthomolecular medicine. It was very helpful. Stupidly, for some techinical reasons I stopped taking the daily supplemets a while ago, but now realize I should have been on them throughout. I do recommend this treatment to anyone who wants to taper down meds. You can read about it all over the internet. This is also in response to Calmer about supplements :-)

I guess my next question to people who have gone through this process is - once I get down to zero, would I still be feeling so tired for a while? From your experience - days? weeks?

Thank you everyone!

• Posted

By the way - not just tired... feeling unfocused, "heavy", when I walk in the street, I feel that I'm having trouble lifting my legs from the ground. And... even talking nonsense occassionally, mixing up words. BTW - last Saturday I slept a lot and thought I'd be more energetic but when I woke up I realized it didn't help very much. Ironically, I was also ill the week before (after my kids were sick and I got what they got), so unfortunately, the last few weeks I've been confusing illness with med-related fatigue. After reading your comments, I realize this isn't a case of being sick anymore...

I also want to say one more thing - in addition to orthomolecular medicine, which is essentially giving your body all the necessary vitamins, minerals etc', in a very high quality, I also recommend looking into homeopathy. I think this is another thing that helped me get through this process and feel better (mentally).

But let's not speak to soon or jinx ourselves - still a way to go!

• Posted

Did anyone successfully come off? 
    • Posted

I haven’t started but I want to come off them after two years that I have been taking them I am not getting any sleep anymore only sleeping like 3 hours a night.... I don’t want to go up or try anything else so I’ve decided to just come off... did you have bad withdrawals symptoms?
    • Posted

Hi,

So sorry for the delayed reply, I was away.  I can only imagine how hard it is for you. Hang in there, we'll find a solution. How much Mirtazapine do you take every night? If you do it properly, slowly, gradually, it should be okay. You need to taper real slow. Do you have the "tools" to do this? cutter etc'?

• Posted

No I dont have a pill cutter or anything I was thinking of making the liquid like evergreen did but I’m so terrified of coming off 
    • Posted

Hi,

First of all, I asked about the dosage because it's not very common not to experience insomnia with Mirtazapine. I don't want to confuse you, but if you have such severe sleep problems I think you must take care of the sleep issues. A higher dose of Mirt (especially when coupled with Clonozepam) should enable you a (relatively) good night's sleep. But if you are determined to come off - is there anyway your physician can guide you on this. When I did this, I did it alone, without medical guidance, and it was a HUGE mistake. I suffered a lot. I didn't think a psychiatrist would help me taper medication but then I heard of many people who did it with medical guidance. The last bit of tapering is indeed the most challenging. I assure you, you can do it, with minimal suffering, but it must be done properly - NOT like I did it.

• Posted

Hi Violet, 

Congratulations on getting down to 7.5 mg with a patient taper!  I know a lot of people who experience a lot of sedation as they get lower.  For me it was around 11 mg, got up in the AM feeling I could just keep on going, foggy head.  It passed as I continued to taper.  Be careful from here on out and don't rush the last part because rebound insomnia is a real risk the lower you go.  Good luck!

• Posted

You are more tired because 7.5 milligrams is far more sedating than 15 or 30mg.

I was extremely tired at 7.5mg and was in your position. Do I push forward or go back up? Because I couldn't stay like this. I decided in the end to go down to 3.75, and although I was still tired and fatigued, I was far less so then on 7.5 mg.

For me this amount is the most sedating and tiring amount, and I felt better or more or less than this amount. It is there for my opinion that you're better off cutting further.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.