coming off mirtazepine

Posted , 3 users are following.

I want to come off mirtazepine as I have put on weight, was previously on quietapine and Prozac but due to abnormal liver function test it was decided to take me off them in February 2014 n start me on 15mgs of mirtazepine then increase to 30mgs a week later. For the last ten days I have decreased the dose down to 15, now I truly want to come off it altogether and look at holistic therapy.  Has anyone tried to stop taking it after dropping to 15mgs? Are there any problems doing this way?would appreciate some feedback, thanks.

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi, Mirtazapine has a short half life 20-40 hours so if you've dropped to 15mg for 10 days then your body should be relatively used to that dose by now.  I'm tapering myself but still on 30mg at the moment.

Mind has some very good information about coming off AD drugs so would recommend you go and check out their web pages.

I'm assuming you tolerated the drop from 30mg down to 15mg ok.  In which case why not try dropping down to 7.5mg (i.e. half a 15mg tablet as best you can manage) for a week or so and see how you get on.

Only thing I would recommend avoiding is taking alternate doses to try and taper down.  I know it works for some people but as I say the half life of Mirt is 20-40 hours so if you are taking 15mg every other day for instance then your going to be getting quite bit fluctuations in the amount of the drug in your system.  Just drop the dose again as best you can and trust your body, if you get any kind of withdrawal symptoms then go back to 15mg and then drop again by less the next time.

I know some people have a really hard time coming off Mirt but others manage it fine with little or no discomfort.  Good luck.

• Posted

Many thanks for your advice, I don't want to take mirtazepine 15 on alternate night , just want to stop it altogether...so far I have been ok with the reduction apart from not sleeping too well...I just think that I would eventually get to the point when sleep will be established again..of course I feel tired but I have been on one sort of medication or other for  last five years and am determined to come off these chemicals as I have suffered quite a lot of side effects...Am a little apprehensive about what I am going to do though but it is good to have the feedback
    • Posted

IMHO, related to 5 years what's another week at 7.5mg.  If you're nervous I would give your body the best chance possible to get off the pills by halving the dose for a week or so before stopping altogether.

• Posted

I took Mirtazapine for over 2 years (30mg), tapered off to 15mg for a month and than stopped completely.

I must admit, I would taper down more slowly if I should do it again, because I had/have a lot of withdrawal symptoms.

good luck!

• Posted

Thank you , now 3nights without mirtazepine...bad night last night with panic and palpitations I nearly gave in to starting mirt again but decided on playing some stress relief music and luckily it helped...so will follow same routine tonight...but many thanks for your advice, it helps knowing am not alone...
    • Posted

If you really can't cope, you can always ask your doctor for some alternatives the first weeks.

I use(d) Xanax from time to time if it was to hard.

you are surely not alone!

it will get better, give it some time.

I have been without mirtazapine for almost 3 months now, and still suffer anxiety and heart palpitations from time to time.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.