Coming off mirtazepine because of weight gain

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all,

I have been on mirtazepine (15mg for 3 months, 30mg for 1) and can’t take it anymore. I was extremely underweight when I started taking it and it helped me get to a normal weight, but i suffer from EDNOS and I’m now 9st (im 5’4) and its making me really anxious. I have had a lot of issues with suicidal ideation on this drug (i took 2 overdoses in December) and can’t stand it anymore. I have stopped cold turkey (I’m usually good at quitting things and dealing with side effects) but don’t know what to try next which will keep my weight stable. Also, I was diagnosed with BPD last week and they want to put me on mood stabilisers but I have read that they make you gain weight too. I’m feeling so anxious and lost and hopeless at the whole situation. I saw a dietician on Tuesday and she said not to put on more weight which has made me obsess over food again. I feel awful so any advice would be great. 

Thanks

Rachel

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

rachael were you suicidal b4 the mirt? Were you anxious and depressed before you started it or was it purely to increase your weight? Were u underweight due to u restricting ur calories or because of anxiety and depression? Lots of questions but it’ll help me understand an answer you  

• Posted

Hi, I wasn’t suicidal prior to taking mirtazepine and my weight was mainly due to really severe anxiety, feeling sick a lot. 

• Posted

U really need to get off these tablets I've been on them over a month 30 mg last night I never took 1 had a gd sleep and feel OK today other than a bit of cold symptoms try and cut down I was 13 stone when I started and I haven't weighed myself but defo put on I can't afford to be any heavier

• Posted

Id advise u not to stop mirt cold turkey as that may make things worse but i def think u need either to contact you psychiatrist or community crisis mental health team or ur gp im not sure where you are but in uk thats who id contact you need to tell them abt the suicidal thoughts and just because ur thinking it doesnt mean u will do it.  It maybe u can stay on a low dose or higher dose as mirt side effects sleeping eating are higher in lower dose weird huh i know and add in a mood stabliser or other anti depressant? Is mirt the only one u have tried? 

• Posted

That's 2 days off them and I'm feeling OK a lot better than when on them but I've went back to my old meds 300 trazadone and chlorpromazine

• Posted

The crisis team in my area have been absolutely awful to me and my family. I would literally rather die than speak to them. Going to call my GP tomorrow x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.