Coming off Mirtrazine after 3 weeks...

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi,

I have taken 15mg for just over 2 weeks. This was for anxiety (was having raised heart rate at night) & was to help me sleep. After starting tablets I suffered from increased anxiety where i could not sit still , an increased heart rate & ringing in my ears.dry mouth. I slept well for first night but not so well the second night & then woke during the nights after . Had to ring 111 & Dr's a number of times. I was told it was my anxiety & to keep taking tablets..But was given diazapan & sleeping tablets to help. I took 30mg of Mirt on duty Dr's advice for 2 nights but had increased heart rate & was then advised to take 15mg for 3 nights until saw GP. I have slept when taking 15mg but have woken few times during night.

& i felt slightly drowsy in day time. I could also feel

increased heart rate . I was calmer & less restless GP believed it was my anxiety not tablets causing bad effects but as I had issues with tablets she has told me to stop taking them & to use diazapam to sleep if need be. GP will ring me next week to see how i am doing but feels i need meds. She told me that OAP's are prescribed Mirt as they are safe & have less side effects. She said it was my decision & i could just stop taking them. I stopped Mirt last night. My heart rate has increased & i could not sleep. The 2mg of diazapam i had to take at 1am only worked for a few hours. I now have permanent

palpatations ..worse lying down.. stopping me sleep. I had read bad reports re Mirt which worried me & wanted to stop before things potentially got worse..but can't bear thought of having palpatations for much longer or starting new tablets. Sorry have gone on but don"t know if GP is right & it is my anxiety not tablets & whether to persevere with Mirt .. take 1 tonight to see if i sleep..or not .. i feel much worse after stopping for 1 night.. but have read that missing i night when taking tablets should not matter..Any advice appreciated as i am at wirs end.. ...Many thanks

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

You should ask your GP for a holter monitor and/or a sleep test, both of which will assess your heart rate while sleeping.  I was on Mirt for about a month myself and had a bad experience with it.  I tapered off over a 2 week period and experienced some nasty withdrawal symptoms - despite the fact that my highest dose was 7.5 mg.  You should not quit this drug cold turkey, you need to taper, otherwise you are setting yourself up for bad side effects, some of which could be permanent.
    Report Reply
    • Posted

Thanks John. Much appreciated. I don't know if my reply sent to you so apologies if you have got 2 ! I am finding the whole experience very upsetting & scarey. I have not had to take medication before this...& have already tried one other anti depressant which i was taken off. If you don't mind me asking what was your experience? Did you get put onto a different antidepressant after Mirt ?, as this is what the Dr has said i will have to do as my anxiety is so bad & I can't bare starting again. I have not heard of a holter monitor. Can you buy one, or do you have to get it from GP.? Would GP act on results? I am definitely worse at night. The palpatations i get are horrible & constant & can't be controlled by breathing exercises. I really don't want to be on any tablets but have little choice at the moment ..which is making me more anxious...Thanks again Maggie

Report Reply
    • Posted

I went on Mirtazapine because I had the flu, developed severe breathing problems, lost a lot of weight in a short period of time and was having bad insomnia (also with heart palpitations in the morning) and was already taking anti-depressants.  This drug, which is an anti-depressant, increases appetite (it is given to anorexics), and allegedly helps people to sleep (it did not help me sleep all that well).  My experience was entirely negative - one of if not the worst drugs I have ever taken in my life.  I felt horrible every morning with extreme nausea.  I also felt as though the drug caused me anxiety.  I was only on it for about a month and felt much better once discontinued.  This is an example of where the drug really is worse than the disease.  It did increase my appetite - I'll give it that, but otherwise it was a horrible drug and would never go on it again - ever!

Report Reply
    • Posted

Sorry to hear that John. I also had increased anxiety, inability to sit still & dry mouth . These went but palpatataions & ringing in my ears remains.... I have spoken to chemist today who advised me to take lower dose ... but said i need to take it for 4 weeks to see how i do..i am assuming that you felt sick when you reduced.. i am only on this anti d. Maggie.

Report Reply
    • Posted

I was on a low dose of 7.5 mg for a couple weeks and then decided to start weaning.  This drug is super potent - even a little speck can have an effect.  It is a weird drug in that higher doses are more "activating" and lower doses apparently make you more tired.  I had great difficulty getting out of bed, the drug made me feel like I just wanted to sit in my recliner all day.  I tapered down from 7.5 to 3.5 to 1.875 mg over a couple weeks.  Once I completely discontinued, I started feeling really bad after about 3-4 days.  I started experiencing body twitching and what they call "brain zaps," which were quite scary.  Nausea and just feeling terrible.  These feelings subsided after about a week.  I just couldn't function on this drug.  I was a real mess.  After a couple weeks I finally started to normalize to the point where I could handle daily activities like bathing, etc. without feeling anxious.

Report Reply
  • Posted

I have come of mirts it was awful and I think you need 5 mg Valiums not 2mg I am now on Lovan antidepressants they are working fine there is a mirtazapine servival page I fb people saying how it’s ruined their lives it’s a awful antidepressant to be on so glad your not on it anymore there are lots of antidepressants out there that you can try but that is definitely not the right one for you I’ve been of it 6 mths and it’s a huge weight gainer that cake of slowly as I stopped taking them kero is posted on how you are going ❤️❤️❤️❤️
    Report Reply
    • Posted

And the reason I came of them because I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia and my doctor wanted me to try another one that sudhf agree with me I’ve tried a few now and lovan seems to be the best so far I will never go bank on it again sending you lots of love hope you feel better soon ❤️❤️
      Report Reply
    • Posted

Thanks so much for your reply & support..

I have been taking it for just over 3 weeks. The Dr said to just stop taking it...I asked about weaning off ..she said i could take 1 every other day if i wanted..& diazepam but no further direction....But insists it is ok as i had not been taking it long & it is given to OAP's! She wants to put me on sertraline...But I am none too keen. As i previously had another ssi which did not agree with me. GP is insistant that ringing is caused by my anxiety. Have tried to explain that when very stressed i had increase heart rate & thumping head .. not ringing! Chemist said to take half a tablet for a few nights & diazepam. I have to see how i do & GP will ring me on Wed. Not easy as i do not think you get enough advice & info from GP..Thanks again & hope you feel better on your meds.. Mxxx

Report Reply
  • Posted

Hi Maggie,I was taking Mirt 15mgs that were added with Effexor 175,the effects of the Mirtazapine was horrible,I gained a stone,lost intrest in going out n about and basically eas like a zombie,anyway I tapered off the Mirt VERY slowly and I still found it hard to get off the bloody thing.I'm now 3 months without it and I'm just taking the Effexor and practicing mindfulness which is helping enormously.As regards to your palpitations,A Holtor Monotor is a little wirless box that you wear around your neck that records your heart beats ect.I used to suffer with palpitations as well and I am now taking beata blockers as it turned outI had an irregular heartbeat.I'm now feeling a lot better but I must say the horror stories about the Mirt.are true!Please go back to your G P and INSIST on getting your heart checked out and try to start weaning yourself off Mirtazapine.Best of Luck.💐💐💐

Report Reply
    • Posted

Many thanks April... I will certainly ask my GP about the halter monitor...I hope stopping it will also stop the ringing in my ears. ..What are your thoughts re coming off it..after 3.5 weeks ..does taking half a 15mg tablet for a few nights sound ok? Until i speak to GP on Wed? She said i could ring triage before if needed...frustrated about lack of proper direction in stopping the tablets.. Only have 4 15mg tablets left.? I have 18 2mg diazepam left..which i was advised by chemist to take in evening..as had not been sleeping for more than a few hours . Advice appreciated..as am v worried about just stopping them. Maggie x
      Report Reply
    • Posted

You will be ok taking the 7.5 until you see your doctor,as a matter of fact the lower the dose of Mirt.the more sedating it is so you should have no problems sleeping and should you need the diazepam you could take 2mgs.in the evening,you might even find the Mirt may suit you at this lower dose,see people react differently to medication.If you decide to come off Mirtazapine entirely make sure you do so ever so slowly....keep us informed!
      Report Reply
    • Posted

Awesome advice there are some real horror stories and it’s so true I would do exactly what you said the nurse said to me once when I was in hospital for a op the less you take the better you sleep so that’s when I went down to 15mg at night then slowly cake if that broke them in half again and did it that way very slowly honestly 2mg Valiums are very very low so I would take the whole one at night with out sleep your body doesn’t cope well please keep us posted good luck sending you lots of love 
      Report Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up