Coming off of citalopram

Posted , 3 users are following.

Out of interest I have read many posts on this forum regarding being on Citalopram for the second time. I am still recovering so am still waiting to feel me again but why do people come off it sounds hard to titrate down through the doses as well. Is there a set amount of time you can take these for? Many thanks.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

my mom n others i know including me are on this med .for life .

• Posted

my mom has been on this med for 25 years same dose same med.so im figuring this is life.

• Posted

everyone has different reasons, they work for millions but for me they had a negative effect on my mind and my body, from what ive read their is no evidence they work for life but thats just what ive read from studies all around the world x

• Posted

It's to each their own as we're all going through different things plus our body chemistry are all different. Some people need the extra serotonin. Hence why some people need higher doses, get more n different side effects. Others it may not work at all.

I've heard it's safe to take for life or as long as the person needs. There's been a few studies on the long term effects it has on the heart and memory but nothing conclusive.

I've been on it for almost a year now and have just started to reduce. Once they've settled these meds do work great but I have an extreme side effect of emotional blunting. I don't get excited about anything anymore, I can't cry nor have a really good laugh like I used to. Plus my libido is a bit messed up. I still have sex fine, but I've just lost the urges, like I could take it or leave it.

Citalopram worked wonders for me n if my anxiety n depression does come back, I think I'll try fighting it in a different way.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.