Coming off of mirtazapine

Posted , 7 users are following.

Wanted to start this discussion by thanking all of you for this information. I'm just starting to come off of mirt and what a nightmare. I was on 15 mg in January 2015 and reduced my dosage to 7.5 over the past 8 months. I thought i was in the clear until last week. I cut my 7.5 dose in half last monday and now its 6 days later and i feel horrible. I tried to take 3.75 mg each night and im having bad withdrawals.. I am a former addict and never went through something like this. I was on Oxycontin for a while and coming off that was a walk in the park compared to this.. I have been currently taking 7.5 mg for the past 8 months but cant come off of this crap. I hate this drug. It haS TAKEN years of my life away. Sorry I'm all over but forgot to mention i have been on Mirt since 2008..i'm shaking right now and its the craziest feeling i have ever had..waking up with tremors, shaking etc... If anyone can relate.. Just wanted to start this discussion to get some info on this evil drug!! Hope everyone is doing ok if their going through the same thing..

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Started mirt 15 mg 2008...Jan. 2015 reduced dose to 7.5 mg.. currently trying to come off... There we go, been on for 7 years.. lost connection with friends and been sleeping 12 hrs. a day since going on it..not me or a life..
  • Posted

Yours is a story I've seen a lot on various forums, where going down from 7.5 mg is hell!  Many couldn't take it and reinstated.  Some try to power through and finally come out the other side, but others decide it is too much and reinstate.  You could reinstate to 7.5 mg, stabilize, and then do the very slow taper.  7.5 to 3.75 is a 50% drop, even though it seems like it is so little medication.  The neurons have to adjust to that big drop, though, and that's why the symptoms are so severe.  I am doing a 10% taper, using a jeweller's scale that weighs milligrams.  My 30 mg tablets generally weigh 300 mg and my 15 mg tablets weigh 150 mg, so right now I am working on 19 mg, which would weigh 190 mg.  I break off pieces of the tablets to get that amount, give or take one mg.  I still feel WD symptoms each time I cut, but those symptoms are pretty mild compared to the suffering I've read about on bigger cuts or cold turkey!

Ask your doctor about getting a liquid form.  If that isn't possible (sometimes a compounding pharmacy can do it for you), some folks make their own liquid.  I got a pill grinder at the drug store that can powder the tablets.  You'd have to get a graduated cylinder that can meausure mls (Amazon has all this stuff!), dissolve a tablet of known dosage in a known volume, mix thoroughly and then measure out the amount that represents the dose you are aiming for.  For instance, grind up a 7.5 mg tablet in 100 ml water, mix well, and then measure 90 ml for your 90% of 7.5 mg.  You'd toss the rest.  Do that for a few weeks.  The maths get crazy since you must take 90% of your PREVIOUS dose.

This all sounds very geeky and tedious, but worth it to not suffer!  Good luck!

• Posted

Hi Betsy! Thank you so much for all of the info. It helps alot. I gave in and took 7.5 mg last night and i feel like a zombie at 3pm today. WD subsided a bit but still feel like I'm drugged. I will cut back 10% and see how it goes. Hope your doing well with your mirt plan. Sounds like you are. Enjoy the day and thank you again! How long do i cut back to 10%? Each day or week? A little confused
  • Posted

If you are on Facebook join our little group it's for people on withdrawal and there is lots of help on there. Search Rose McKay in USA and ask her to join you. That's my best suggestion
  • Posted

Hi Richie,Do as Teresa says and join our group,there's lots of help and information there,all people like yourself,struggling to get off Mirt.

You'll get a warm Welcolme 

• Posted

I tried to join by messaging Rose but never heard back.  I think she keeps changing her picture.  I'd like to try again but not sure which Rose McKay to message since the picture I honed in on last time is gone!

• Posted

Hi betsy,Yes Rose has changed her profile picture. I'll ask her if she can pick you up.
    • Posted

Hi betsy

I hope you join us face book

Google this on Facebook

Ppwindowrepairs

This is Linda

She will let you in the group

Can't wait to meet you!

Xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.