Coming off Seroxat and anti-depressants entirely

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hi there

I've been on  Seroxat for 20+ years too.  Now I'm trying to come off it.  My idea of trying an anti-depressant free life went down like a lead balloon with my current psychiatrist.  i've been on anti-depressants since 1979 so I know I'm in for a bumpy ride.  However I didn't know how bumpy.  Coming off Seroxat is a roller coaster ride.  Soary soary highs and dippy dippy lows.  Uncontrollable weeping, nightmares and wetting the bed, constant hay fever and allergies, including not being able to use deodorant and usual washing powders etc.  Thumping heart, and all sorts of numbness, pins and needles, bodily sensations etc.  Weird pain behind my eyes etc etc...  Of course my gp is helping, but even he was astonished at how not ok I was last time he saw me.  He wanted me to increase my dose.

I began on 60mg, got down to 30mg, went down to 20mg and then recently tried 20mg but have had to increase to 15mg which is much better.  So I'm staying on 15mg for now to stabilise and have a bit of a "rest"!  Yes, it really is hell.  But I oh so want a go at living without anti-depressants.

Recently all my past has been coming into my head, which is horrendous.  But, it is my life, and I'm entitled to it.  And to feel it.  Anti-depressants have made me flat, and vague, and missing, and empty.  I want me back.  Tears, issues and all.  One day I'm hoping to persuade the medics to get me some counselling so I can work out the issues that got my on anti-depressants in the first place.  I'm sure that's the way forward.  

I'm a grafter, so I'll work at it.  But I never thought It'd be this hard.  So well done to everyone on this forum for all the effort and sharing.  I thought I was quirky.  That no one else had this roller coaster ride.  But it seems we all do.  We Seroxat sufferers.  I can't believe that people who are supposed to help end up getting me into this state!!!  Never mind I'll do my best to realise my dreams.  

Thanks everyone for your comments and ideas and tips, and experiences.  Thank you.  And I'd love to post again.  It seems it might be a long haul!!!

0 likes, 0 replies

Report Reply

0 Replies

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.