coming off zydol (tramadol) and the side effects of it !!!!!!!!!!

Posted , 6 users are following.

hi all well ive been taking zydol (tramadol) for the last 3yrs constantly !! due to the fact of a really bad day in the opperating room.i had my bi lateral and one of the knees ended up a disaster .leaving me to have 2 more fully opening of my knee one being a revision and the other to remove alot of broken cement  ive had 2 more miner ops as well so that is why i was on zydol (tramadol) 200mg and more at the begining . so for the last few months ive been slowly really slowly  reducing my intake of them only coming down 25mg at a time so this week was my final step on wednesday i took my final 25mg of zydol (tramadol) it was the slow release one .    its not been easy to reduce it but it had to be done since wednesday im cold /hot /light headed /cant sleep & weepy .and my stomach is not feeling to good either ,so im hoping this wont last long .im determined not to go back on them if i can .im still taking anti inflammatory  arcoxia 90mg as im still in some pain .but im writing this so people can see that even after 3yrs on strong pain meds you can get off them for most of you that are on here you wont need the meds for long so you wont become dependent on them ,so dont worry you need good pain meds take them !! if i can kick them after 3yrs  a few months a few wks or months will be easy  for you .Iam gratefull for zydol (tramadol) it made my life bearable but glad to say goodbye to them so wish me luck that in the next few days it will be totally out of my system  im drinking gallons of water to flush it out

2 likes, 20 replies

Report / Delete

20 Replies

• Posted

Wishing you all the very best of luck. If you do intend to drink gallons of water, please make sure you top up on minerals etc (with something like Dioralyte Supplements), as the water will deplete them and you will be ill x
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

3 years is a very long time to be dependent on a controlled substance for pain management but I fully understand why you needed to be, you've been through a lot. I could never understand why medical science can't develop effective pain management medications that are non-opiate in nature but still have the same pain relieving attributes? There's basically a handful of stand-by prescription drugs used for moderate to severe pain and they're all very addictive and have a lot of side effects. I suppose there just isn't enough money in it for the pharmaceutical companies to invest time and money into developing a non-addictive severe pain management drug.
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

well your right there pharmaceutical companys only care about money ,there would be no point making pain killers that you dont get dependent on there would be no money in that ,we here in ireland lick the boots of pfizers pharamaceutical company with them paying only12%tax here while our own people pay half our wages in tax  not fair
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

On the other hand, a pain killer which didn't cause addiction would be a huge seller . . and probably prescribed much more than one which caused addiction. However, I still think you are right. . . . nothing like some addicted clients to keep business busy!

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Linda

You have been through a dreadful experience, so we'll done you for weaning yourself off the tablets.  It must have been very hard after such a long time.

Hope that you have a good Christmas this year.

Patsy

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

It's great that you're able to come off the meds! Painkillers are great short term, but long term definitely isn't ideal. And yes I do understand daily, chronic pain. I used to take opiates daily. Keep it up, sweetie! Hopefully you can find some great alternative treatments. Being in pain is no way to live, and neither is having to take pills just to be able to participate in normal life. Been there myself. You're in my prayers.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I so agree with you Linda . .I was on the same drugs as you, tramadol and arcoxia, for about three months.  Like you, it wasn't that easy to come off the drugs, but neither was it impossible.  i think I become dependent very easily, so when I tried the 'cold turkey' approach the results were bad. . hallucinations, palpitations, diarrhoea, headache, trembling. . .and I made the mistake of having run out of the tramadol, and having to wait several days for an appointment so I could get more.  i ws a bit of a wreck.  But then once I had more tablets, i started to cut down slowly until I was down to half a tablet at night. I stuck there for quite a while, but in the end. . . I chucked it.  I hope everybody who can take these sgrong drugs, (and not everybody can, so it seems should not be afraid of the fact that they are potentially addictive.  it's not like shooting heroin, for heavens sake!
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

yes your right,  i too did without for a day and i thought i was going to die ,  slowly slowly is the only way .god can you imagine if we were on the really hard stuff how impossible it must feel !!
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Well done Linda - it's been so tough for you (much worse than my problems, & mine were bad enough!). You sound determined, so I'm sure you will stay "heavy" drug free!! After 7 weeks post revision, I too am weaning myself off the hard stuff, oxydodone, I'm down to one at night only, but due to pain after walking/standing etc, I'm still taking codeine & the good old paracetamol!! I was on oxycodone for almost the full year whilst waiting for the revision, I weaned myself off them in the last 2 months, so they would have effect when they did the revision. Oh to be normal, & I still wouldn't have had it done if anyone had shown me a crystal ball in October 2014. Have a good Christmas, & a healthy New Year.
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

all our problems are big to us and your recovery is no different ,you have come some distance yourself !!!. im like my grandaughter (she is 4 ) counting down the days but for different reasons she is counting down the sleeps till santa where as im counting the days since ive had tablets haha!!  so hopefully we both get want we want for christmas .     happy christmas to you and your revision  and an active 2016  ohh i always feel better when i come on this forum
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Please don't be so hard on yourself.  I am not sure why doctors can't prescribe alternative painkillers, but you have to remember that any decent painkiller is going to be addictive in some form or another. Sometimes it is better to stay on the drugs, then when you are physically better; then is the time to wean yourself off.  This early in the game you are being too hard on yourself, it is a lot to cope with.  What I really cannot understand is oxycodeine is prescribed but there is no back up,no alternative medical help.  Not knowing where you are I can't help you or point you in any direction.  Please be strong
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

sueisobel is right stay on the meds till you are feeling better ,sometimes we are to quick to reduce them ,its as if we think we are weak staying on them and just because the scar is healing nicely dose not mean whats under the scar is healed ! far from it .sometimes i wish that when you go to physio he or she could put a scanner over the knee to show us how much the underneath of the scar looks yuck! i know but it would put in perspective the ammount of work all the ligaments ,tendons and bone that have to re ajust to this foreign object that has gone into your body  so veronica your doing just fine dont rush it take plenty of meds till you feel better ,you will know believe me ,im certain you wont take as long as me ,but even if you did so be it ,im on day 3 without and feeling very positive tummy is not brilliant bit of the trots but slept better last night  like sueisobel there is no alternative to heavy drugs (ones that work) mind you oxycondeine i hated i thought tramadol(zydol) easier to take
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

You, my friend, are a very strong person.  More than you give yourself credit for.  I certainly agree with you on what it does inside ones tummy. Every now and then I ease myself off the drugs just to prove that I am in pain as opposed to being on reliant on painkillers. Stupid maybe, but I think you understand.  We seem  to chastise ourselves for being weak and relying on "drugs" to see us through, when in fact it is our bodies that really need them not only to cope with the pain, but to help with the healing.  I wish you all the very best and the strength to continue with your journey xxx
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

i understand completly!! yes sometimes i think stop taking them and see if a miricle has happened  ha !! but no just pain ,im tryng to stay as positive as i can ,still have the odd feel sorry for rmyself day ,but they dont last as long as they used to .im not a big fan of christmas mainly because people say hello to you that wouldnt look at you all year plus its just to fussy and extreme spending on things we dont need ,i know baa humbug !!!! but i love the excitement of my grandchild its all about them .for me its all about the new year i just love the new year a fresh start to everything !!!!   you too sueisobel i hope we will be on here next year with great gusto saying how much better we are seasons greetings  xx
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

You so make me smile... I am so not into Christmas this year, but have still managed to spend a fortune  Very masochistic.  Yes Christmas is all about children. Have no grandchildren (yet), my youngest baby is 22, still expecting presents  Ah well, I have treated myself to a case of champage; I shall raise a glass to you and your continuing pain free journey.  Wishing you and your family happy holidays and a fantastic New Year xxx
      Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up