Compulsive Symptom Monitoring....Anyone Else?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've had an uptick in my physical anxiety symptoms over the course of the last six or so weeks (dizziness/off-balance sensation, muscle tension, headaches, difficulty concentrating, feeling as though my heart is racing when it really isn't) and find myself compulsively "scanning" my body to ascertain how it's feeling, including checking my pulse compulsively....this begins shortly after I awaken every morning and continues throughout the day....what's odd is that when I wake during the night, I generally feel fine....but as soon as it's morning and time to get out of bed, I can feel the symptoms coming on and then it's off to the races (that's my attempt at an adrenaline joke)...anyone else in this predicament?

I know that thinking about these symptoms only makes them worse, but it's almost as though I can't stop....I've got two Claire Weekes books on tape which I listen to regularly, and she makes so much sense, but I can't seem to internalize the message....thoughts? Advice?

0 likes, 4 replies

Report / Delete

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi there, it sounds very much like health anxiety - I suffer from this too, and I know how upsetting it can be. It becomes obsessive. For me its a lump in the throat, I check for it first thing then its there most of the day, I'm constantly feeling like I might choke etc. Allbi would say is if u can get ure anxiety under control, the rest will follow. Not easy I know, but therapy could help
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

This sounds just like me too. Checking my pulse all the time, waking in the night ok but in the morning it all starts over again. I don't know what my triggers are, it just happens. Have you had any CBT? I find acupuncture really helps a lot. 
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I can't tell you how much alike our symptoms are 

That alike when I was reading it I was thinking " eh when did I write this" .

Omg this is weird

Like you say im fine during the night if I wake up and fine in the morning then as soon as I start driving to work I might feel something and go uh oh what was that pain and there starts the cycle of worry for the day then I get dizzy and fatigued always tired always have a headache and im asking omg why do I have a head ache every day ? Do I have a brain tumor" nooooooo Josh you are just so tired from all this mental illness sad 

I know its my anxiety but I can't tell myself that when the pains strike its so difficult 

I just tried a hypnosis video on youtube and its telling ne to relax and enter a sub conscious state of mind then its saying you are calm ....... you are relaxed........ you have positive thougts......you are free from anxiety then he stops talking then im thinking in my head "im not like ..... im not" 

Why cant I relax neutral 

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

have you tried doing relaxing things like swimming or running or just breathing exercises to calm your body down from all these thoughts?

Richard

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up