Concerned about Bunion and hammer surgery.

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi, I need hammertoe and bunion surgery on both feet. My doctor wants to do the surgeries 1 week apart, but from what I've been reading, I don't know if I I should. How will I be able to move to get to the bathroom etc.?

Also have any women that have undergone this surgery ever go back to wearing high heel shoes? I realize that will take a while, but I'm hoping I can wear them again. The main reason that I want to do this surgey is so that I am not in pain when wearing shoes, if I won't be able to wear them, than what's the sense. H

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Maria,

I am happy to have had both feet done and I was up walking in special Physio shoes from day 1. You must walk on your heels and these shoes make you do it. I only had bunions not hammertoe as well so this may make a huge difference to recovery.

I have heard that you possibly shouldn't wear high shoes after the op to prevent it happening again?? But again I am not sure .

I am so pleased to have just one recovery period .

Good luck!

• Posted

Hi i had my feet done 2 weeks apart and i am now 7 weeks post op still cant fit into gym shoes
    • Posted

The shoes I have were given to me by the hospital Physio . I have to wear them for about 7 weeks in total and then big trainers apparently.
  • Posted

hi maria, i had both feet done together and hammertoe correction on 11th May.... omg its been one of the worse recovery things i have ever had to deal with, it has been difficult having the both done, and only a week apart from having one done might feel like the same for you... if i had had one done no way would i be going back for the second, however we are all different and age can help a quick reocovery, i am 55 and mine is very slow, plus i was told by the surgeon that i would  be up and running in six weeks, i am ten weeks post op and now where near even walking normal, i can not get any shoes on i have to have house slippers with toes cut out... i am due to go on holiday on 11th august, no point in packing any shoes so i have to go in house slippers which has really upset me... my surgeon then told me when i had the pin out of my toe at six weeks that i am looking at least a year for full recovery... as for wearing heels, i am sure you will in time, but it will take time, when i have seen the shoes that are the only option... if you are a person who has worn a glam shoe these are far from that, lots of people wear trainers but i could not even get my foot into a trainer at the moment because the swelling, soreness, maria my only advice to you would be if you really feel you have to have them done then go for it, i only had mine done because walking was becoming very difficult and at the end of the day the pain was bad, but i certainly would not of had it done for any other reason... as i say all experiences are different, good and bad... but my own experience... never again, i do hope you get on ok with what way you decide to go, take care x
    • Posted

Right now my feet hurt with every type of shoe wheter they are low heel, high heel. Anything that touches my bunions and toes. Sometimes I feel like crying with the pain. But I guess I am somewhat vain. I can wear flats to work and shopping etc. but I DO want to wear my heels when I go out. My pain tolerance is kind of high. I'm just hoping that after all the suffering it will be worth it and I could wear my shoes without being in pain. I just don't get my doctor's idea of wanting to do the surgeries 1 week apart. I did ask him if they could be done together, but he said that I will need a good foot. I can't imagine have a good foot after 1 week. I don't know what to do. I'm hearing so many bad things, that's making me have second thoughts about the surgery.
    • Posted

hi maria, i totally agree with you, the foot you would of had done the week before would still in stitched and in bandages, so i really dont understand why he would even suggest doing it a week later, your foot is already in trauma so you will be experiencing pain with the two, and surely having two lots of anesthetic in such a short time is not good for you, have a good chat with your doctor, we can only give opinions on here we are not doctors, but i would not be happy with that at all, i do wish you well hun and hope you get sorted x
    • Posted

Hi Everyone there is so much good advice going around that I can't remember whose had what and when?

Re having 2 ops 1 week apart to me is the worst idea ever. It's up to your surgeon to decide this but the first foot won't be that recovered after one week and I hated the general anaesthetic so I agree that you wouldn't want 2 lots so close together.

I had both at the same time (just bunions ) and it has been fine. I am hoping to be free of hideously heavy black boots in 3 weeks , I haven't thought about the next shoe so all these ideas are great. I really would just ask for both feet at the same time as long as you have help and can keep feet elevated .

Good luck

• Posted

Hi Maria,

I can only speak for bunions, not hammer toes, but I had bunions removed on both of my feet at the same time.

In my mind, it made sense to just get them both done at the same time, only be in pain once, only be off of work for one recovery, etc.

I am 2 weeks post op and happy with the decision. The first week was the hardest, I'm not going to lie. I was kind of confined to the 2nd floor of my house because that's where the bathroom, bedroom, and a TV. Before I left the hospital, they sent me home with two boots and a walker. It was a struggle to get around because as someone mentioned before, you have to walk on your heels. One wrong step and you'll feel it.

A few days after the surgery, you may question why you ever did this. I asked the same question the night my surgery was done. But you have to remind yourself exactly why you did. You're feet hurt, it's uncomfortable, and you want to rock those high heels, girl! Just keep thinking about how good you will look and feel once you're all healed up.

• Posted

I agree with Millie, my experience has been pretty good and in the scheme of things it's well worth it. Recovery is slow but I was in pain before so am hoping that in a few months I'll be pain free although having said that I haven't had too much pain I've just been a bit uncomfortable.
  • Posted

Hi all

I had my bunion and Morton's neuroma done Feb2014. The neuroma was fully sorted but I am still in a lot of pain where the bunion was removed. I cannot wear nice shoes and shopping for special occasions depresses me. I am a teacher so being on my feet all day may be a reason for lack of full recovery. However,I put on so much weight after surgery, I need to walk because at my age(55) diet alone does not seem to work. I look frumpy when I go out because of the ugly shoes I have to wear. Even though my bunion was excruciatingly painful, I still wonder whether surgery was a better option. I am in a perpetual vicious circle trying to lose weight by keeping active,but with unbearable pain- resting =less pain=weight gain= more weight on my feet. I would like to go back to my surgeon to check this out but I have to convince my GP that I am in a lot of pain!

• Posted

It sounds like you've had a really hard time of it. It's terrible that you have to convince your Dr that you are in pain. I can't help as I am only a few weeks post op but I would be asking for an X Ray to check that everything is as it should be. Teaching is not a job you can do in a chair, it's very physical. Have you spoken to your surgeon? I would get in touch to see if they can help you. Sorry I can't help more.
    • Posted

hi there, ohoooo i so know what you are going through, i had both done on 11th May as i know i would not be going back for the second due to what i had heard, and yes i must say its been one of the most painful experiences ever, its been an emotional roller coaster too, if i am not crying i am eating, i am too 55 and felt so low due to not being able to do much, and i have gained alot of weight which has made me feel worse... my partner had to go away to work abroad for five weeks so i have been on my on six weeks, i am 10 weeks post op and still have lots of swelling and pain, when i get up in the morning the swelling is not bad at all, but as soon as i weight bear the fat sausage feet appear with the pain... i pottering around my flat, but after doing simple tasks like washing a couple of coffee cups my feet really hurt so i have to go and rest and elevate, i am sick of the whole thing and progress seems so slow... i too feel old and frumpy and feel like this operation has really brought me down, my sleep pattern is all over the place... i am still awake at three and four in the morning, then i find i go to sleep and before i know its ten in the morning, that makes me feel terrible too, i dont have much appetite so i have just been eating rubbish food, biscuits, crisps always something easy... i am due to go to spain on the 11th August, but i cant not get any form of shoe on i have been walking around in house slippers with the toe cut out, not really the look for marbs !!!! i also feel very weak in my body too, just having a bath really makes me feel tired, at this stage i do so wish i had never had it done, i had to have it done because walking was becoming more and more painful... but i do think i should of just put up with it and took painkillers... i am due to see the surgeon on 4th August and telling him exactly how i feel with the swelling, pain, weight gain and feeling rock bottom, i am sorry to give such a negative reply but i can so relate to what you have said, and i do wish you well soon x  Picture of what i will have to wear for holiday if i can go... i dont really want to go if i am honest, i really cant be doing with it at mo x
    • Posted

my holiday shoes.... lovely not !!!!!
    • Posted

never again would i consider having this done
    • Posted

They look very sore! The scaring is still bad. I've heard Bio oil is good. Any thoughts on this?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.