concerned about my father: breathing difficulties, tiredness, not eating

Posted , 3 users are following.

Good morning, I'm very concerned about my Father.

He's 73, usually in good health.  A few weeks ago he went to the doctor for routine tests and they want to see him again on Thursday but my mum thinks it may be about his cholesterol.

However, over the past couple of weeks he hasn't been eating at all, maybe a half round of toast per day, he's also very short of breath, walking up and down the stairs is difficult for him and even when he lifts the duvet on the bed he has to stop and rest to get his breathe back. He is also constantly tired and sleeping.

He has convinced himself its lung cancer. Im trying so hard to stay positive so havnt googled the symtoms until this morning as I was frightened that's what it was going to be.  however, this morning I did google them and it looks like it could possibly be heart failure which looks like it can be managed with medication which has made me feel a bit more positive.  Im just wondering though, do you recommend we bring him to the hospital ASAP or wait until his doctor appointment?   Sorry for such a long message, im just so worried about my dad.

xx

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

They do say if you suspect heart go to the hospital. They would rather it is a false alarm than you take the risk by not going!
    • Posted

Thanks Kathleen, I love him but he can be a nightmare, he just wants to see what the doctor would say but id really rather he went to the hospital, as there is a good chance they will send him there anyway. Il try to have another word with him and convince him to go x
  • Posted

If it had been an emergency his doctor would have done something immediately. They are extremely good in emergency situations. As his doctor has left it a while he can wait until Thursday I would have thought unless he has sudden new problems in the meantime. Let us know how he gets on with the doctor.
    • Posted

Sorry, I maybe didn't word that clearly lol.

He was at the doctors for routine tests for blood pressure, cholesterol etc, he didn't mention anything else to them (he's a nightmare that way), following those tests the doctor requested him to come back for a chat so that's why we are assuming its about the cholesterol as they don't know about the breathing etc.  Its really only been the past 2 weeks, worse over the past week.

We have spoken to him today about going up to the hospital but he is having none of it but is going to his appointment tomorrow and allowing my mum to go in with him.

I'm guessing that when he goes, the doc will know ifs it serious and if so, she will make the decision from there.   He can be so stubborn.  His parents died when he was young so I think he thinks that if he goes to the hospital then he wont come out again.

• Posted

Seeing the doctor tomorrow should be fine. He can explain to her the problem with the shortness of breath. Good idea taking your Mum too. Two heads are better than one! Hope it all goes well. I am pretty sure it is not lung cancer, in my opinion anyway.
    • Posted

Good morning, my dad wasn't great through the night and has been quite sick this morning, He's still refusing to go to the hospital but has agreed to the doctor paying him a house visit this morning instead to save him going out in the bad weather and having to walk the distance into the doctor surgery (its in a large Health Centre) and he also has polio so finds it hard sometimes walking any distance.

I'm glad the doc is coming out but I'm absolutely terrified of what they may find, I would rather know though, at least then we can start to do something about it.  My poor mum rang me in tears this morning, I feel so sorry for her, she is trying to stay positive but think its really worrying her now too.

Thanks again for chatting with me about it, I really appreciate it

• Posted

Hi Sarah, hope things go well with your Dad. I am sure it will. Let us know.
    • Posted

Hiya, the doctor came out this morning and gave him an inhaler etc and arranged for him to go to the hospital for a chest x ray and to go get his bloods taken so he is not long home from the health centre for the bloods and then the hospital and had his x ray.  They have sent him home and said it would take a week or so for the x rays (I thought they gave you the result there and then but that must just be in A&E when you hurt yourself).

Anyway, I feel much better now as I'm sure the doctor was able to see on the x-ray immediately and if there was a mass showing up I'm sure they would admit him rather than send him home.

They wanted to check the bloods as they were concerned he had lost weight but that's more than likely because he isn't eating (he isn't a great eater anyway even when he is feeling himself).

I've to laugh at him because he says he doesn't feel any better yet but of course its not going to improve within a couple of hours and then he has also did a bit of walking about at the hospital and stuff.

Just want to thank you again for taking the time to reply and chat with me.

When the results come back il let you know how he gets on.

Thanks, Sarah

• Posted

It sounds like he is in good hands. My x-rays always take time as apparently there is a shortage of radiologists to check them. I have had one that was done by somebody in Malta and another one by someone in Australia. I have heard that even A&E are using radiologists abroad nowadays. I assume the simpler xrays can be read by doctors who are not radiologists. It sounds like it is not an emergency for your father as they are happy to take time over it.

• Posted

Hiya, unfortunately my dad got a call yesterday at 6pm to say that they have found a tumour.  I just knew in the pit of my stomach but don't think I wanted to believe it. Was trying to convince myself that it was going to be nothing serious

• Posted

You must be devastated. Is it in his lungs?  Do they know if it is malignant? I suppose not as they will need a biopsy. Does you father smoke? I am just so, so sorry. At least he has people around him to support him. 
    • Posted

Good morning, sorry I haven't replied in a few weeks.  Its been an absolute nightmare recently and we have just been trying to come to terms with what we have been told.

He has to go for his scan this Thursday and thankfully he has agreed to let me go with him along with my mum.  We do know that it is 11cm and is on his Upper Lobe of his Right lung.

He's still terribly short of breath and not eating properly.  He is trying but everything tastes awful he says.  He has been weighed and is coming in at 8st 2lb but that was last week so I'm guessing it has probably dropped even more.  He is skin and bone dear love him.

We are just so shocked at that size of it... I was only expecting it to be about the size of a 50p or something so that has completely knocked us for six.  They have him on Steroids, morphine and a stupid little inhaler that is doing no good whatsoever.  I'm actually raging as I really think they should be giving him oxygen or something as that is what is getting to him more than anything.  He is also getting a lot of pain in his shoulder too.  Cant believe its going to be 3 weeks until he gets his first hospital visit, especially with the size of the tumour.

I'm just so worried for him and also for my poor mum as she is trying to be strong but I know she is devastated.

Just wish we could get some good news, we only lost my father in law to cancer on the 21st July this year, a week or so before we found out about my dad and we sat for weeks with him in the hospital so its worse that I know what's ahead of us.

My mums has just went to the doc this morning as he hasn't been able to go to the toilet for the last 5 days so they have just prescribed him more tablets to help with that.

Sorry I'm all doom and gloom, just good to get it out xxx

• Posted

Oh my gosh, I really do not know what to say, I do feel for you and your family. Hopefully when he gets his first hospital visit and gets into the system things will improve. Thinking of you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.